PDA

View Full Version : OptiSeal vs. OptiCoat

Pages : [1] 2

yourgrandma
06-25-2012, 02:09 AM
I was struck early this morning with an odd and strong urge to buy some supplies. In my semi-sumberous stupor, I mistakenly ordered some OptiSeal, rather than the OptiCoat I was after. Its been so long since ive actually researched products that Im not terribly surprised I made the mistake.

Now the question is whether I roll with it or make a second order just for the OptiCoat. It would seem that they have a similar purpose but quite different results. I suppose I could use the OptiSeal something, but why bother when I could OptiCoat it for the same result for a longer period of time, right?

I guess what Im asking is whether OptiSeal offers anything over OptiCoat that would make it worth having both. I may still be able to change my order.

pwaug
06-25-2012, 03:01 AM
OptiCoat is a permanent layer on the car that can only be removed by mechanical means ie polishing with a DA, Rotary etc. It is supposed to last the life of the car--almost like another layer of clearcoat. OptiSeal is a wipe on walk away sealant that must be reapplied every 3-6 months.

Dan
06-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Optiseal is a great product, excellent looking shine, its as if you added a layer of glass on top of your paint. Durability is about 2-3 months for a daily driver parked outside 24x7. Takes about 5-7 minutes to do a whole car.

Opticoat, amazing durability and ability to release dirt/tar/etc. Lasts years. You have to polish the car to perfection before you apply. Takes about 30-45 minutes to do a car. Looks wise, it`s boring. Needs a QD or wax on top to perk up.

imported_WCD
06-25-2012, 09:00 AM
You also will have the new opti-seal! I have a case coming tomorrow. It`s slicker and better, if you can believe that!

Rob

Scottwax
06-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Really like both products. Opti-Seal is easier to work with, looks very wet and has great slickness, it is my go to sealant. Opti-Coat also looks good, very clear shine. Makes future washing easier, protects better.

imported_detail1
06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I remember reading another thread that stated that it`s really not possible to top Opti-Coat with wax.

Can somebody confirm this.

Dan
06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Oh, its quite possible, the wax just doesn`t last nearly as long as it would on paint.

yourgrandma
06-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info. That`s about what I was thinking. Ill keep the opti seal and use it on the paint for now but still order some opticoat for the wheels and for when I finally get around to polishing the car to the level id like. Hopefully before winter.

With opti seal, it looks like I can still top with wax, correct?

Dan
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
You can, but I`d give it a few days and a wash to decide. I think it looks great on its own.

yourgrandma
06-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Ill do that. Ive been limping along on weekly washes and fk425 wipedowns since last time I tossed on a coat of nxt, which has been longer than I think I want to admit. So I think anything will be an improvement at this point.

Will an IPA wipedown be sufficient to remove OptiSeal when it comes time to do the final polish before opticoat?

Scottwax
06-27-2012, 05:14 PM
You can, but I`d give it a few days and a wash to decide. I think it looks great on its own.

Agreed. Opti-Seal looks great.

Ill do that. Ive been limping along on weekly washes and fk425 wipedowns since last time I tossed on a coat of nxt, which has been longer than I think I want to admit. So I think anything will be an improvement at this point.

Will an IPA wipedown be sufficient to remove OptiSeal when it comes time to do the final polish before opticoat?

Supposedly all Optimum products are compatible with Opti-Coat and won`t interfere with proper bonding but I`d still probably do an IPA wipedown to be on the safe side. You can also check in Optimum forums to see what is recommended.

Buffautodetail
06-27-2012, 09:15 PM
What about applying to fiberglass like water craft etc?

Legacy
06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
I agree Dan, it does look sterile and I would not use OC on my personal ride. OC would be great for the average guy that washes once a week or twice a month and hates waxing. For those who are anal about their cars, you would be polishing off the OC to get rid of the marring from washing within 6 months. This would not make OC worth while imo. I would rather use a sealant like Blackfire every 2-3 months and lightly polish every 4-6 months or when needed. If OC was scratch resistant, that would be another story.
Optiseal is a great product, excellent looking shine, its as if you added a layer of glass on top of your paint. Durability is about 2-3 months for a daily driver parked outside 24x7. Takes about 5-7 minutes to do a whole car.

Opticoat, amazing durability and ability to release dirt/tar/etc. Lasts years. You have to polish the car to perfection before you apply. Takes about 30-45 minutes to do a car. Looks wise, it`s boring. Needs a QD or wax on top to perk up.

yourgrandma
06-28-2012, 03:38 AM
Thats a good point. While I am interested by the longevity of OC, it does seem lke extra work to do maintainance polishing. I think the big allure is that I want something to get me through winter.

Im considering using OC on the lower portion of my bodywork and front bumper and more traditional lsp on the rest of the car.

Dan
06-28-2012, 09:28 AM
I agree Dan, it does look sterile and I would not use OC on my personal ride. OC would be great for the average guy that washes once a week or twice a month and hates waxing. For those who are anal about their cars, you would be polishing off the OC to get rid of the marring from washing within 6 months. This would not make OC worth while imo. I would rather use a sealant like Blackfire every 2-3 months and lightly polish every 4-6 months or when needed. If OC was scratch resistant, that would be another story.

You know, I think you`ve summed up exactly how I feel about OC. Its great for the person that hates waxing. But paint still needs care, I`m not sure there is a true ROI to Opticoat.

Thats a good point. While I am interested by the longevity of OC, it does seem lke extra work to do maintainance polishing. I think the big allure is that I want something to get me through winter.

Im considering using OC on the lower portion of my bodywork and front bumper and more traditional lsp on the rest of the car.

Collinite will easily last through a whole tough winter and is a whole lot less work.