PDA

View Full Version : Flex xc3401vrg Pad

danshadow
06-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Just bought flex xc3401vrg - since this is the machine that is being recommended by everyone here :) . I was planning to get the meguiar`s pads but it seems that the plate doesnt really fit these, anyone have any recommendtion on which pads to get.

I was planning to get the following:

Meguiar`s Swirl Free Polish

Meguiar`s 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Finishing Pad

MEGUIARS M3416 FINAL INSPECTION

Meguiar`s Dual Action Cleaner/Polish - 32 oz

MEGUIARS MIRROR GLAZE PROFESSIONAL COMPOUND POWER CLEANER

Meguiars SoftBuff Foam Cutting Pad

SOFTBUFF PAD Polishing Pad

Sadly all of this might change because of the size of the back plate. If anyone has a list of recommendations I would gladly accept them.

Thanks in advance again.

imported_ww2717
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
buff and shine pads and the optimum microfiber pads, and lake country pad. you can also check out American buffing they make some good pads too.

You might want to add HD Uno and HD Polish to your line up there to . Gives more diversified line of products. Menzerna is another good product line to have on hand.

danshadow
06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
buff and shine pads and the optimum microfiber pads, and lake country pad. you can also check out American buffing they make some good pads too.

You might want to add HD Uno and HD Polish to your line up there to . Gives more diversified line of products. Menzerna is another good product line to have on hand.

I found these, Buff & Shine 5.5" 6-Pack Special (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/buff-and-shine-6-pack-special.html) not a bad deal - however, ive seen some post saying might be too small. Is that correct?

imported_MCA
06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
I use 6" / 6.5" pads with my 3401. The reasoning for using smaller 5.5" pads is that they do not slow/bog down a traditional RO/DA polisher as much as a larger pad would - especially when the machine is under load and lot of downward pressure. A direct drive DA polisher like the 3401 does not have this issue. The only reason for using a smaller pad with a 3401 would be for maneuvering purposes such as using a 4" pad to fit under rear-view mirrors or when polishing a narrow pillar.

I am not a big fan of 5.5" pads with the 3401 because I do not see much benefit - in fact, the risk increases because the standard backing plate will completely cover the backside of the pad. If the flex accidentally "walks" into something then you could cause some scratching or dents.

Thomas Dekany
06-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the forum.

If you want products that are easy to use, sun friendly, no dust, and look amazing, I`d say look into HD UNO, HD POLISH and HD POXY and HD TOUCH. The HD PADS will also work well with the flex, which I use as well (have for years).

Just bought flex xc3401vrg - since this is the machine that is being recommended by everyone here :) . I was planning to get the meguiar`s pads but it seems that the plate doesnt really fit these, anyone have any recommendtion on which pads to get.

I was planning to get the following:

Meguiar`s Swirl Free Polish

Meguiar`s 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Finishing Pad

MEGUIARS M3416 FINAL INSPECTION

Meguiar`s Dual Action Cleaner/Polish - 32 oz

MEGUIARS MIRROR GLAZE PROFESSIONAL COMPOUND POWER CLEANER

Meguiars SoftBuff Foam Cutting Pad

SOFTBUFF PAD Polishing Pad

Sadly all of this might change because of the size of the back plate. If anyone has a list of recommendations I would gladly accept them.

Thanks in advance again.

danshadow
06-22-2012, 02:26 PM
On the description it is stated :

Max polishing pad diameter: 6-1/2"

Velcro Pad: 5-1/2" one included

Should I change the backing plate - or will the 6.5 inch work fine to the 5.5 backing plate.

Thomas Dekany
06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
It will work fine. So will 5.5" pads. I never had any issues with them. :)

imported_RZJZA80
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
I thought about trying some buff n shine pads, but damn why so many different types? Can anyone who uses them clarify a little as to which ones would be equivalent to say, H20 pads, or Megs pads?

Thomas Dekany
06-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Choices - I appreciate that I can chose from so many different grades.

yellow - heavy cut

orange - light cut

green - polishing

black - final polish

blue - finishing

red - extra fine finishing

I thought about trying some buff n shine pads, but damn why so many different types? Can anyone who uses them clarify a little as to which ones would be equivalent to say, H20 pads, or Megs pads?