PDA

View Full Version : 3D Express Wax

IHA Mark
06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
As I just recently purchased basically most of the 3D line to augment the launching of my mobile detailing service, I wanted to start posting some reviews of the products.

I would like to start this review saying that I am absolutely thrilled with every single product I have purchased from 3D. From the amazing high end HD products to the more volume oriented (but still high quality) 3D products.

I am thrilled with every single product that is, except Express Wax.

This product is supposed to be a easy use, fast on, fast off product, but has many issues I cannot seem to overcome. General comments:

Positives:

1. This is a very thick product for a spray wax, and it reflects this fact in durability. I have applied this product to clients` vehicles and a month later they still had nice gloss, and a slick finish.

2. Very cost effective. I had used less than half a bottle on 5-8 vehicles and many vehicles door jambs/trunk jambs.

Negatives:

1. Application is not simply "wipe on, wipe off". I started our spraying it on a panel, and wiping it down with a MF towel. The problem with this process is that after a couple of panels the towel gets "saturated" and ends up putting wax on panels just as much as it takes it off.

I know, right now most of you have read the instructions on the store website and said "dummy, you are supposed to apply it with an applicator and let it haze!" Yeah, I figured that out after the first couple of times I used it. That being said, this product is really nothing more than a liquid wax that is thin enough to spray out of a spray bottle. The "spraying" process really does not reduce application time over using a traditional wax significantly enough to use it, in my opinion.

2. Hazing. I have had several vehicles where I seemed to remove all the wax, then pulled the vehicle into the sun for a few minutes (if I wasn`t in the sun already) and by the time I did I final inspection of the vehicle I noticed many different areas that seemed to "haze up" in the direct sunlight. I don`t want a spray wax that hazes, it needs to be simply wipe on, wipe off in my humble opinion.

3. The product is almost obnoxiously thick. It almost like a slightly watery version of Meguiar`s cleaner wax. While I believe it has much more durability because of the thickness I feel at times like I am squirting a traditional liquid wax onto the vehicle.

Overall:

While this is a decent overall product, I would not purchase it again. It just does not save enough time, and is too hard to completely remove. I would like to see 3D release a true "spray wax" rather than this "wax that sprays out of a bottle".

If anyone from 3D would like to chime it, I would love to hear any advice or comments about this product. Like I said, I am thrilled with the rest of 3D`s lineup, but this product just did not meet my expectations. Maybe I just want it to be something that it isn`t.

Thomas Dekany
06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I have an unopened bottle, never tried the product. I`ll be sure to watch how it behaves. Your kind words are very much appreciated.

Ben@3D
06-19-2012, 08:44 PM
As I just recently purchased basically most of the 3D line to augment the launching of my mobile detailing service, I wanted to start posting some reviews of the products.

I would like to start this review saying that I am absolutely thrilled with every single product I have purchased from 3D. From the amazing high end HD products to the more volume oriented (but still high quality) 3D products.

I am thrilled with every single product that is, except Express Wax.

This product is supposed to be a easy use, fast on, fast off product, but has many issues I cannot seem to overcome. General comments:

Positives:

1. This is a very thick product for a spray wax, and it reflects this fact in durability. I have applied this product to clients` vehicles and a month later they still had nice gloss, and a slick finish.

2. Very cost effective. I had used less than half a bottle on 5-8 vehicles and many vehicles door jambs/trunk jambs.

Negatives:

1. Application is not simply "wipe on, wipe off". I started our spraying it on a panel, and wiping it down with a MF towel. The problem with this process is that after a couple of panels the towel gets "saturated" and ends up putting wax on panels just as much as it takes it off.

I know, right now most of you have read the instructions on the store website and said "dummy, you are supposed to apply it with an applicator and let it haze!" Yeah, I figured that out after the first couple of times I used it. That being said, this product is really nothing more than a liquid wax that is thin enough to spray out of a spray bottle. The "spraying" process really does not reduce application time over using a traditional wax significantly enough to use it, in my opinion.

2. Hazing. I have had several vehicles where I seemed to remove all the wax, then pulled the vehicle into the sun for a few minutes (if I wasn`t in the sun already) and by the time I did I final inspection of the vehicle I noticed many different areas that seemed to "haze up" in the direct sunlight. I don`t want a spray wax that hazes, it needs to be simply wipe on, wipe off in my humble opinion.

3. The product is almost obnoxiously thick. It almost like a slightly watery version of Meguiar`s cleaner wax. While I believe it has much more durability because of the thickness I feel at times like I am squirting a traditional liquid wax onto the vehicle.

Overall:

While this is a decent overall product, I would not purchase it again. It just does not save enough time, and is too hard to completely remove. I would like to see 3D release a true "spray wax" rather than this "wax that sprays out of a bottle".

If anyone from 3D would like to chime it, I would love to hear any advice or comments about this product. Like I said, I am thrilled with the rest of 3D`s lineup, but this product just did not meet my expectations. Maybe I just want it to be something that it isn`t.

I am sorry the product did not meet your expectations. It is designed to give the best protection from a carnuaba spray wax. It is quite popular with tunnel car washes that want to offer an express detail.

If you are looking for quick and easy on/off, I would go with a quick detailer like HD Free or Final Touch. It gives some protection and shine.

Ben

IHA Mark
06-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I will buy a bottle of Free next time I order, I need to place an order for some Poxy and Uno anyway.

Does free have any true protective properties to it? Carnuaba or or maybe a light sealant?

Dan
06-20-2012, 07:31 AM
I`ve ended up with a few waxes like this over the years (last one I remember is beauty shine moonshine or something like that). IMO they are made and sold for the old guard volume washes. They or they customers want to see a wax haze. They are not much less work than a regular wax, you can just be more sloppy with the application.

imported_MCA
06-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Reminds me of the old NXT booster wax...wasn`t that much faster than applying the normal NXT liquid (which was ridiculously easy and fast to apply).

Dan
06-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah, NXT booster was a terrible product, just as much if not more work than NXT.

imported_RZJZA80
06-20-2012, 09:34 AM
So is it working as intended, or is something wrong with your particular bottle?

IHA Mark
06-20-2012, 02:07 PM
I believe it is working as intended, I just don`t like the way it works. It might be perfect for a car wash offering a quick wax job, but not for a mobile detailer wanting a quick "on and off" product.

chrisguga
06-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Optimum Car Wax is what you seek.