PDA

View Full Version : Product idea for DA polishers, does it exist yet?

SpoolinNoMore
06-19-2012, 02:13 AM
I have yet to buy a second GGDA to keep as backup/smaller BP for easy swapping but I was thinking about a QD for the DA spindle. The male piece would obviously thread into the DA with a square tip at the other end (think like a 1/4" or 3/8" ratcheting wrench head where sockets attach into), and also a female piece that would have one end where your normal LC/Megs/etc. BP would screw into, and the other side would be like the connecting 3/8" or 1/4" female part of a socket. It would have to be the slimmest size as possible, but for better function/profits, it would probably be best to make urethane BP`s that would fit specifically into the special male connector that goes into the DA, that way it would keep a more rigid structure to prevent any slack or looseness, reducing the effectiveness of the DA.

Let me know what you guys think, it would be pretty easy to chop up a prototype by simply cutting the tip off of a ratchet and welding it onto a BP and then cutting off the back of a socket and welding it onto a 3/8" (or whatever size thread) that would screw into a DA (obviously the most difficult part would be getting everything perfectly flat, but it`d just be a prototype before getting it manufactured). Thanks in advance.

Nth Degree
06-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Not sure I`m following. Are you talking about a quick release system for faster change of backing plates. If so I think it would be great. Changing plates on my PCXP can be a real PITA. I would think weight would be an issue. Adding metal pieces would create greater inertia and vibrations might be more than the machine and the operator can handle safely.

SpoolinNoMore
06-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Hopefully this helps explain it.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2914/breakerbar.jpg

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1324/baalflex.jpg

Would anybody be interested in something like this? If enough interest comes of this I`d get with a metals fab shop when I get back home from the desert to get a prototype made up and see if it affects the performance of the DA at all. Then move on to producing a batch or 2 of these for retail of course :).

*edit - Griot`s/PCXP DA`s have 5/16" thread, so replace 3/8" with 5/16" and it`d be more accurate, not that it matters much since this is just to help draw a picture of what it would be

SpoolinNoMore
06-19-2012, 04:13 AM
Of course if all goes along well enough, I could get with some company like LC to make special back plates that would have just the male portion of this quick disconnect system right on the plate so it would reduce the gap between the BP and the DA back to what it would be with a normal BP attached. Either that or figure out some other material all together for this system so it would serve a dual purpose of being fast and help dissipate more of the heat transfer between the machine and the back plate, I`m really just brainstorming right now, costs would obviously be an issue.

Kevin Brown
06-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Of course if all goes along well enough, I could get with some company like LC to make special back plates that would have just the male portion of this quick disconnect system right on the plate so it would reduce the gap between the BP and the DA back to what it would be with a normal BP attached. Either that or figure out some other material all together for this system so it would serve a dual purpose of being fast and help dissipate more of the heat transfer between the machine and the back plate, I`m really just brainstorming right now, costs would obviously be an issue.

It is an excellent idea, and one that I have chatted about over the past few months with some friends. Various ways to do this.

Easy way to add an extension to the backing plate as well, for rotary or DA (smooth shaft, all sorts of sizes), too.

It`s important to keep the weight down as low as possible for random orbitals because anything mounted to the spindle will slow random rotation of the plate (1/4" drive would be ideal, or a composite of some sort).

I wonder if it is an idea that is not able to be covered by a patent, as I would like to make some for sale sometime within the next year.

But if you can get them made... more power to you!

Not an overly difficult undertaking for a machinist or a talented individual to make happen. :heelclick

Nth Degree
06-19-2012, 04:58 AM
The real trick would be getting the makers of backing plates to adopt the system. Or you simply sell an adapter that can be left on each backing plate. I still think weight and length are going to be an issue. Don`t forget that the further the plate extends from the base of the polisher the more it will affect torque and vibration.

Mikeyc
06-19-2012, 09:26 PM
The quick change idea is a good one but has been done before. The Edge 2000 pad system had the backing plate essentially built into the pad (the pads were double sided too). You put a special adapter on the DA and the pads pop right on and off of it. I really used to like this system, but when I switched to a Flex I had to get rid of it since they didn`t have a Flex adapter at the time. I think 3M at some point bought the concept from Edge and I haven`t heard or seen much of it since.

Kevin Brown
06-19-2012, 11:20 PM
The quick change idea is a good one but has been done before. The Edge 2000 pad system had the backing plate essentially built into the pad (the pads were double sided too). You put a special adapter on the DA and the pads pop right on and off of it. I really used to like this system, but when I switched to a Flex I had to get rid of it since they didn`t have a Flex adapter at the time. I think 3M at some point bought the concept from Edge and I haven`t heard or seen much of it since.

Right, but not quite the same.

HEY!! I clicked your Detailing Guide link but never found it.

Is the link broken? I did see the links to Griot`s and Autogeek and Mother`s and Autopia Carcare on Kelly Blue Book..?

SpoolinNoMore
06-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I was looking to develop something that would work in collaboration *with* accessories everyone already has, not to try and replace them. If I get free time to get with some metals tech guys back home I`ll make some up and see if I have any willing testers