PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new car plan

Pages : [1] 2

imported_phareous
06-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I haven`t detailing in a while, because my previous car was pretty messed up from some rock damage, etc. Now I have a new car and want to start fresh on it.

1. Wash it - I have ONR for this

2. Clay it - I am leaning towards HD Nano Prep. I know there is also Speedy Surface Prep and Nano Surface but they don`t seem to be any cheaper (at least the first places I`ve seen)

3. Wash it again

4. Use prewax cleaner. I was thinking of either HD Polish or HD Speed - what do you think?

5. I already have Poxy. I can use that, but I keep hearing good things about HD Nitro Seal so I thought I might try that

Any opinions or advice?

EDIT: The new car is a Ford Explorer.

Dan
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Sounds like a solid plan. You could consider using an ABC system or at least an Iron remover.

Leadfootluke
06-18-2012, 03:36 PM
I haven`t detailing in a while, because my previous car was pretty messed up from some rock damage, etc. Now I have a new car and want to start fresh on it.

2. Clay it - I am leaning towards HD Nano Prep. I know there is also Speedy Surface Prep and Nano Surface but they don`t seem to be any cheaper (at least the first places I`ve seen)

3. Wash it again

4. Use prewax cleaner. I was thinking of either HD Polish or HD Speed - what do you think?

5. I already have Poxy. I can use that, but I keep hearing good things about HD Nitro Seal so I thought I might try that

Any opinions or advice?

Sounds good! I would have a traditional wash on hand as well and of course, plenty of quality microfibers.

As far as a prewax cleaner, I haven`t observed any cleaning power from HD SPEED [it would make a great polish though]. I would look into Poli-seal or another paint cleaner/cleanser.

imported_phareous
06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
OK I`ve done a little revision...how about this?

1. Wash - ONR

2. Decon - Iron X, wash

3. Clay - HD Nano Prep, wash

4. Polish - HD Uno

?? should I follow up with HD Speed or HD Polish at this point?

5. HD Nitro (or I might end up using Poxy since I already have it)

Underdawg736GTC
06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Looks good, definately get the NPT, or SA`s Speedy towel...which ever, I just tried it out for the first time yesterday and there`s absolutely no going back to clay! It`s clay on crack, pcp, bath salts...you name it! j/k...lol! Plus it will last you a lot longer then clay, some folks are getting on upwards of 60-90 cars out of one towel!

Uno may marr since it`s a compound, are you doing this by hand or machine? if your paint only has minor defects I`d stick to Polish or SPEED the only difference with the two is that SPEED is a Polish/Poxy AIO.

imported_phareous
06-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I have a PC orbital but I`m just as happy doing things by hand so either way. My main issue with the PC is trying to remember what pad is for what, etc. as I only use the polishing every so often (I just have one car and don`t really do it for anyone else). So it sounds like I can just forgo Uno and HD Polish and just use Speed, followed by Nitro (or Poxy)

Underdawg736GTC
06-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Pads are confusing, no doubt as there`s a ton of them out on the market by a mess load of different brands! Even more so if one only does their car(s) and that`s it. I don`t think you would get much results doing Uno by hand at least compared to a machine......unless you`re in excellent and have the endurance of a gladiator! Then again someone usually proves me wrong!

You look pretty squared away on your choices, good luck with your new ride and don`t forget to post some pics on what you were able to achieve!

JohnAndrew
06-19-2012, 05:45 AM
Sounds like a nice plan, you can also make use of car steam cleaners if you want.

Thomas Dekany
06-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Both SPEED and POLISH will do a great job of cleaning the paint. Your plan looks great. Be sure to post some pictures after the detail. I like the look of the new Explorers.

3. Wash it again

Any opinions or advice?

imported_phareous
06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Money is really tight for me right now - if you had to choose Polish or Speed for this application, which would it be?

Thomas Dekany
06-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Polish - more cut if needed.

imported_phareous
06-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Hmm that is true but couldn`t I use Uno too if I needed more cut? Then follow up with Speed? Just trying to make sure I`m covered

Thomas Dekany
06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Yes, but you asked between POLISH and SPEED. :)

imported_phareous
06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
You can`t read my mind? :)

imported_phareous
06-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Ok I`m putting in the order now. I`m still not sure if I need Uno or not. I obviously have some swirl marks from the dealer... but I don`t know if Speed is strong enough to take those out, or if I need to use Uno.