PDA

View Full Version : New Car Paint Flaws - What to do?

Pages : [1] 2

TN9thSi
06-14-2012, 11:03 PM
I bought a new Civic Si sedan about three weeks ago. When I picked the car up, I did a walk around and did`t notice any damage/defects in the paint. Just the other day, I was doing a quick wash and spray wax to tide me over until I get my Werkstat order. As I was making my way around the driver`s side of the car, I noticed something on the paint thinking it was just some dirt I had missed. I washed the whole passenger door again but the "dirt" turned out to be pretty noticable flaws under the clear. It looked like someone dragged a paintbrush through the base coat while it was wet. I continued around the car and noticed the same type of flaws on the driver`s rear quarter panel and the upper left side of the trunk lid. There are no ridges in the paint, it`s as smooth over the flawed area as the rest of the car. It does`t looks like it`s about to peel, but there are definite lines in the paint.

What would you guys do if you were me. I`m not sold on a re-spray of the affected panels since it`s a new car and I don`t want body work with less than 2,000 miles. And being silver, and what I believe to be solvent-based paint (built in Canada), I`m afraid the repair would be worse than the defect. If I knew the base coat was sound and would likely not chip, feel or flake in the future, I might be apt to just live with it. I plan on having the dealer look at it and see what they offer to do.

See pics below:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/tnmz6i/IMG_5372.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/tnmz6i/IMG_5375.jpg

what'sinaname
06-15-2012, 01:55 AM
Probably damaged in transit and this was the repair, done too quickly. Could be a sanding defect, sand scratch swelling which means that clear coat is smooth but the defect lies beneath.

Dan
06-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Before you head to the dealer, get someone with a paint gauge to verify if there post factory work done there. If its a defect in the factory paint, just live with it.

Nth Degree
06-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Before you head to the dealer, get someone with a paint gauge to verify if there post factory work done there. If its a defect in the factory paint, just live with it.

I agree. Get a gauge to test it. Better to know more before going to the dealer.

Thomas Dekany
06-15-2012, 10:28 AM
The meter is essential, I disagree with Dan, I couldn`t live with it, so I`d want it fixed

TN9thSi
06-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I never actually consider this could be caused from damage being repaired poorly. I want to be upset about it, but, knowing the possible solutions, I`m apprehensive about having it repaired. I wonder if I could get the dealer to go over the car with their paint gauge while I observe?? I can live with the defects, I think, as long as I can be assured the paint won`t experience issues in the future. The last thing I want is a sub-par repair job, or paint failure in the future if there`s an underlying issue.

Nth Degree
06-15-2012, 12:21 PM
I never actually consider this could be caused from damage being repaired poorly. I want to be upset about it, but, knowing the possible solutions, I`m apprehensive about having it repaired. I wonder if I could get the dealer to go over the car with their paint gauge while I observe?? I can live with the defects, I think, as long as I can be assured the paint won`t experience issues in the future. The last thing I want is a sub-par repair job, or paint failure in the future if there`s an underlying issue.

Have it inspected independently first. That way you can plan your course of action with the dealer. Once you get it inspected I would take it to the dealer anyway. I would probably insist on an extension of the warranty on the paint as this is clearly not finished properly or a full repaint/replacement. Remember you will be dealing with professional con men... I mean salesmen who will try to offer you something like a free permanent sealant that will protect it and never need to be waxed. Don`t accept a solution of their choosing without taking a day to think about it.

TN9thSi
06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Have it inspected independently first. That way you can plan your course of action with the dealer. Once you get it inspected I would take it to the dealer anyway. I would probably insist on an extension of the warranty on the paint as this is clearly not finished properly or a full repaint/replacement. Remember you will be dealing with professional con men... I mean salesmen who will try to offer you something like a free permanent sealant that will protect it and never need to be waxed. Don`t accept a solution of their choosing without taking a day to think about it.

So should I just call up a local body shop and ask them to inspect the paint and provide an estimate for repair? I doubt they`d be willing to just stick a paint gauge on it out of good will.

imported_RZJZA80
06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
A local detailer would be a better bet to have a gauge, I don`t know it body shops even use gauges or not. But definitely do that on your own first, never trust what a dealership does or tells you.

Ron Ketcham
06-15-2012, 12:53 PM
First, unless American Honda has changed it`s policy in the past couple of years, here is the concern.

Know this from experience when I was with Automotive International and we operated 3 new car get ready shops, among those customers were two Honda dealers.

Honda`s policy of such is pretty much this, "We delivered to you, Mr. Dealer a new car, and you inspected it on delivery and had the allowed time to inspect it for any flaws that may be the responsibility of American Honda. This concern was not identified at the time of delivery, therefore any repairs are your responsibility."

IE. Honda is not going to step up, the repair comes out of the dealers pocket and they don`t like to spend money on a car that has been put in service, only if it has a concern that is covered under the Honda warranty, so they can get their money.

Just some input that may be of help or hinderence.

Grumpy

TN9thSi
06-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks for that info, Grumpy. That was what I was afraid of. I`m kinda wondering if this was pre-delivery damage repair or not simply due to the fact there are flaws on at least three separate body panels. But then again, do they paint the car with the doors and trunk in place?

Ron Ketcham
06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Yup!, the body, doors, hood and trunk lid, all go through the paint kitchen tunnel at once.

Only the facsia`s and any other composite parts are painted seperate.

Grumpy

Paul Sparks
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Don`t be surprised if somewhere between the Honda plant and the dealer a minor repair or two has been made to the car. Very seldom if ever will a dealer come forward with this info. Most dealers and body shop have little need for a paint gauge. The members that have posted in this thread are correct in telling you to visit a reputable detailer to measure the effected panels and a second opinion at a independent body shop which could detect any previous paint work. Armed with this information you will have you ducks in a row when you approach Honda about correcting this problem.

RaskyR1
06-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I wouldn`t be to worried about having panels repainted as most reputable body shops offer lifetime warranty of their repairs. Take it back as that is unacceptable IMO.

I brought my`06 Civic Si back because there was dry spray all over the front bumper, primer showing and areas on the rear bumper cover that were masked off and didn`t even get painted. Dealer had American Honda rep come in and they agreed to have it repainted.

TN9thSi
06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Funny thing is when the dealer appraised my car, the used car manager checked every single panel with a paint thickness gauge during his evaluation. If I was thinking, I would have had them do the same to the new car, and I probably would have noticed the flaws, then immediately declined the deal on the car. Oh well.....

So I have another concern, assuming they offer a re-paint, and I accept said offer. Would there be any issues matching the color and finish of the untouched panels, acknowledging the possibility Honda Canada uses solvent-based paint and any body shop in the US would be using water-based paint? Would there be more orange peel in the repainted panels? Or other possible anomalies?