PDA

View Full Version : Could a pro detailer use a DA polisher and get good results?

Pages : [1] 2

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Specifically, I`m talking about something like Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G110v2 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-dual-action-polisher-g110.html). According to the website, they say: "The Meguiars Dual Action 6 Inch Polisher G110v2 has more rotary features with none of the risk. This machine overcomes many of the hurdles faced by DA polisher users, like low torque and low power, with an advanced design that borrows some features of rotary polishers."

I`m seriously thinking about getting into the business, and was just wondering if a machine like that would serve me well.

C. Charles Hahn
06-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Well first, I think you`ll find that most of the pros on this site make extensive, if not exclusive use of a DA polisher for their correction work. So yes, it is 100% possible/probable to get "good results" from the use of a DA like the G110v2.

That said, if you do not have much experience with a polisher (DA or otherwise) you are not ready to "get into the business" and charge customers for services. I would suggest if you`re serious about this, you will need to invest in some equipment and learn good technique on your own vehicle and those of friends/family first.

Good luck!

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-11-2012, 11:12 PM
I would suggest if you`re serious about this, you will need to invest in some equipment and learn good technique on your own vehicle and those of friends/family first.

Good luck!

I expected a response as such, and have already given it a lot of thought. I plan on "practicing" on my family/friends cars first. (for no charge of course) But I have always been one of those people that learn extremely quick, and have a ton of common sense.

I had a computer repair business for years, and once had to start from the beginning. So I understand that it takes time to learn the basics well and become your own person. I have a boatload of confidence about this, and AM going to make it happen. Plus, I was once a tool and die maker, and have a lot of experience with machines. Wish me luck, and I`m sure that I`ll have some questions.

But I know one thing. Everyone had to start somewhere. This isn`t knowledge you`re born with. And I`m a sponge trying to learn as much as I can. Having confidence doesn`t hurt either. Thanks for your input.

Don`t be surprised if I`m advising people 6 months after I start. ;)

imported_WCD
06-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Pay for proper training from the get go! Will save you money, time, and headaches later. 1-2 days on a DA, and you will be fine.

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Pay for proper training from the get go! Will save you money, time, and headaches later. 1-2 days on a DA, and you will be fine.

Thanks WCD, but I`m not sure there are any classes in the Atlanta area. But after watching the Meg`s series of how to videos, (and countless other videos) and knowing the basics, I`ll just stay on my own. I just basically wanted to know if megs DA polisher could do the job. Once again, you guys are the best.

Greg Gellas
06-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Videos are one thing acutal hands on experience is another. Especially, when you see another person do it that has been doing it for years and shows you how easy with experience it can be. I would also suggest some training from another professional.

Thomas Dekany
06-11-2012, 11:55 PM
I did it on my own, you can do it as well. Now I teach others. Go figure. However if I had the chance back then, I would have jumped on the opportunity. I was actually turned down when I asked if I could tale some lessons (rotary)

As long as you realize that correction work takes time, you will be fine. A good idea is to ask here before a detail and see if we have worked on that particular car. We could tell you what to use and time etc...

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-12-2012, 12:38 AM
As long as you realize that correction work takes time, you will be fine. A good idea is to ask here before a detail and see if we have worked on that particular car. We could tell you what to use and time etc...

Make no mistake, I plan on doing things the right way. I think someone said that videoes were, "hands on is better". I agree. But I really have enough confidence in myself to get through the "learning" stages just fine. Believe it or not. some people are blessed with ability. There`s not much in my life that I havn`t done well once I decided to do it. Why would this be different?

I did it on my own, you can do it as well. Now I teach others.

I plan on the same. Pencil me in as a long time detailer. I just need to learn a bunch of things.

Thomas Dekany
06-12-2012, 12:41 AM
I wasn`t the one doubting you, LOL!!! I believe in your abilities.

Make no mistake, I plan on doing things the right way. I think someone said that videoes were, "hands on is better". I agree. But I really have enough confidence in myself to get through the "learning" stages just fine. Believe it or not. some people are blessed with ability. There`s not much in my life that I havn`t done well once I decided to do it. Why would this be different?

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-12-2012, 12:48 AM
I think attitude makes all the difference. Whether you`re into computers, ovens, rats, or anything else, if you`re not into it, you lose. I`m INTO detailing. I dream about it. Just because I`m new shouldn`t mean anything. Y`all had to start somewhere. It excites me.

Barry Theal
06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Buffer_Wannabe Yes you can get professional results with using just a DA Polisher. There is no doubt about it. A DA polisher can and will do anything a rotory tool can. If you haven`t had the chance yet read over some writings and blog post by a gentleman named Kevin Brown. This guy is one badasss mofo when it comes to knowledge and working the DA. Remember this business is all about the know how and expeirence. Best of luck to ya.

After you search all the great knowledge here on autopia, may I suggest you check Kevins Blog, Even as seasoned pro, I always love to read Kevins insight. He really puts his mind into making everything eay and understanding. Best of luck to ya.

Buff Daddy Blog (http://buffdaddyblog.com/)

Barry

togwt
06-12-2012, 08:44 AM
[But I know one thing. Everyone had to start somewhere. This isn`t knowledge you`re born with. And I`m a sponge trying to learn as much as I can. Having confidence doesn`t hurt either]

Autopia is a great place to learn

[Don`t be surprised if I`m advising people 6 months after I start]

Don`t worry we don`t confuse enthusiasm for knowledge ;)

Good luck...

Underdawg736GTC
06-12-2012, 09:03 AM
I`m with ya Buffer. If I had caught the detailitis when I moved back up to my hometown from Tx, It would`ve been my profession.....hands down. I have been toying with the idea of getting out of my current career full time and turning my "hobby" into a breadwinner. However I don`t know how well I would do in an "assembly line" type dealership/recon shop. My OCD tendencies and knack for the details would not work well with the time constraints required for these facilities. The old Army saying comes to mind, quantity not quality. I just can`t walk away from a half assed job knowing that I could make the end result so much better. Even though my current pay rate which isn`t much at all, I don`t think I can afford much of a pay cut. I`d love nothing more to have my own shop but current situations and I`m a dead horse when it comes to managing finances are keeping me at bay.

A DA polisher with the right pads, the right products, and the right mindset (skills/knowledge) along with patients will guarantee you the desired results, and when these are applied to the profession, it will almost always result in you being successful (as long as you market and manage your shop/finances as such) as many here can attest to. As Mr Theal has written, this place is an absolute gold mine when it comes to learning and Kevin Brown and his ways are second to none for those who demand absolute perfection! Grumpy, TOGWT, Barry, the 3D staff here, amongst many others (way too many to list them all!)are nothing less then professors in the art of detailing.

The very best of luck to you if you choose to go down this road, I believe you will do very well if you have the "passion" as you stated!! :thumb:

Barry Theal
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I`m with ya Buffer. If I had caught the detailitis when I moved back up to my hometown from Tx, It would`ve been my profession.....hands down. I have been toying with the idea of getting out of my current career full time and turning my "hobby" into a breadwinner. However I don`t know how well I would do in an "assembly line" type dealership/recon shop. My OCD tendencies and knack for the details would not work well with the time constraints required for these facilities. The old Army saying comes to mind, quantity not quality. I just can`t walk away from a half assed job knowing that I could make the end result so much better. Even though my current pay rate which isn`t much at all, I don`t think I can afford much of a pay cut. I`d love nothing more to have my own shop but current situations and I`m a dead horse when it comes to managing finances are keeping me at bay.

A DA polisher with the right pads, the right products, and the right mindset (skills/knowledge) along with patients will guarantee you the desired results, and when these are applied to the profession, it will almost always result in you being successful (as long as you market and manage your shop/finances as such) as many here can attest to. As Mr Theal has written, this place is an absolute gold mine when it comes to learning and Kevin Brown and his ways are second to none for those who demand absolute perfection! Grumpy, TOGWT, Barry, the 3D staff here, amongst many others (way too many to list them all!)are nothing less then professors in the art of detailing.

The very best of luck to you if you choose to go down this road, I believe you will do very well if you have the "passion" as you stated!! :thumb:

Its nor Sir or Mr. My name is Barry. I work for a living:peace: Shouldn`t you be polishing a medic mobile of some type? lol

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM

I sincerely believe that attitude is half the battle. The rest will come with time. And believe me, I plan on studying and asking questions like my life depended on it. And in a sense it does, because I`m not happy with my regular job. Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words, and plan on seeing a bunch of questions if I can`t figure things out.