PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba on sealant with no wait?

Pages : [1] 2

hammondc
03-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried a carnauba like Pinnacle or P21S over a sealant like UPP or Klasse without waiting? Any problems with bonding? I was going to try it tomorrow on a customer`s E500. I like the look of Sealant, but an concerned about longevity since I`ll only be able to do 1 coat. Suggestions??

thanks!

budman3
03-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Well I have never done it. I think that if you don`t let the sealant cure enough and add carnauba ontop that you`ll have less durability because the sealant wasn`t allowed to bond. You really won`t lose too much durability wise without a carnauba, a few weeks. I have seen people go from NXT to a carnauba... but never got a straight answer if that was an OK thing to do or if they had any problems. Not much of a help but I tried.

Beemerboy
03-17-2006, 01:41 PM
I`ve done it and had no bonding issues...however I`m not sure that I got the full effects of both products.

Jngrbrdman
03-17-2006, 02:13 PM
...why would you do it though? Don`t get so caught up in the mindset that you `have` to top your sealant that you do it without thinking about if there is really any benefit.

I have topped sealants before they have cured and the reflections I get aren`t as sharp or clear. It is like something on the surface clouds a bit and causes a problem with the reflection.

It isn`t bonding with the carnauba you should be worried about anyway. The sealant is curing. That means there is a chemical process taking place on your car. Topping it with a carnauba will affect the curing of the sealant and likely just mess with its durability and protection. So basically the whole point of using the sealant could be defeated if you interrupt the sealant before it is cured.

hammondc
03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Maybe I`ll just go with Pinnacle signature instead of the sealant then.

Jngrbrdman
03-17-2006, 02:16 PM
It depends on the color. If you really want to be safe and not sorry then use Wolfgang. All the protection of a sealant with the serious wetness of a carnauba.

budman3
03-17-2006, 02:24 PM
If you want durability-- stick with a sealant.

hammondc
03-17-2006, 02:44 PM
The car is black. I have Klasse, UPP, Pinnacle Signature and P21S. Decisions decisions.

Lwnwookie
03-17-2006, 03:25 PM
So if you do seal a car and wait 24 hours what do you do when you get ready to wax. Wash it again and then wax it or just hit it with some quick detailer and then apply. Sorry if this is kind of an obvious answer question but I just wanted to throw it out while we were on the subject to be clear.

RegalGS
03-17-2006, 03:32 PM
So if you do seal a car and wait 24 hours what do you do when you get ready to wax. Wash it again and then wax it or just hit it with some quick detailer and then apply. Sorry if this is kind of an obvious answer question but I just wanted to throw it out while we were on the subject to be clear.

I`ve done it both ways - depends on how dirty the vehicle is. In one case, the vehicle never left the garage, so it just had light dust on it. QD worked just fine (it was Souveran over Klasse SG). In another case, the car did get driven, and it needed a wash first (I think this one was S100 over UPP). Like I said, I think it depends on how dirty the car is.

Bence
03-17-2006, 03:45 PM
FK Pink Wax & 2180 can cure together as all FK products. Other applications *may* weaken the full durability of the underlying sealant. Otherwise it is beneficial to choose bright, high definition waxes.

jimmybuffit
03-17-2006, 05:57 PM
My experience is that sealants, by definition, require time to cure/outgas. Just like paint may be dry to the touch, but...

Does it require 10 hours, or 24? I dunno, and I suppose it varies from product to product. But immediate application of a wax will, at the least, prolong the cure time, and very probably compromise the bonding of the sealant.

If you can`t keep the car long enough, just use the sealant, and forget the carnauba.

Jim

ShineBoy
03-25-2006, 02:58 AM
I think UPP is fineo on its own. I would lay a base of AIO then UPP!

JeffW
03-25-2006, 10:45 AM
It depends on the color. If you really want to be safe and not sorry then use Wolfgang. All the protection of a sealant with the serious wetness of a carnauba.

I agree... Another plus with WG, IMO, is ya only need to wait 12 hours for it to cure whereas most others recommend 24 hours to cure.

harry444
03-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Why not get some PB EX it is a sealant with carnauba then latter have the guy come back for a top coat of Carnuba