PDA

View Full Version : Good mitt for ONR washing

Pages : [1] 2 3

RobD
06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I stumbled across this shaggy-style MF mitt while shopping at Home Depot. It`s a nice size (basically hand size) and seems well made. I`ve been using MF covered sponges (the white ones from Target) for ONR washes, and they worked OK, but this mitt is much better, IME. It glides across the paint and cleans well. It`s probably good for traditional washes too, but I use a sheepskin mitt for that.

Total-Reach 7.75 In. Microfiber Mitt 962090 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/total-reach-7-75-in-microfiber-mitt-362507.html)

imported_MCA
06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Good find! I will definitely check these out. I have been using long-fiber MF towels for my ONR washes but having to constantly fold/re-fold slows me down.

RobD
06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Yea, it seems like a good product. Compared to terry-style MF towels or sponges, the deep strands probably help keep more debris away from the paint. Also, the finish seemed smoother and slicker when drying. I haven`t used it on a really dirty car, but so far it cleans well.

MichaelM
06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
We`ve been using this style mitt for a few years now with good results. Very similar to what you`re using, just double sided.

Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitt w/ Cuff | DetailYourCar.Com Discount Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.detailyourcar.com/microfiber-chenille-wash-mitt-cuff-p-537.html?osCsid=5ccdbdb718cef9bafb6feb039a9c19f3)

imported_WCD
06-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Been using the "fingers" like MF mitts for a while with no problems. Used to use the foam mitts.

Rob

pwaug
06-04-2012, 08:52 AM
I`ve been using these mitts for years with ONR and they work great Neatitems | Deep Pile Microfiber Mitts (http://neatitems.com/Deep-Pile-Microfiber-Mitts.html) The pile is longer than any of the MF covered sponges I`ve seen. I cut out the threads that create the finger pockets and then a grout sponge fits into the mitt--allows allot of solution to be used if the car is really dirty and allows me to remove the sponge and throw the mitt into the washer.

Their WW MF are also excellent--very soft and absorbent.

RobD
06-04-2012, 09:02 AM
My favorite thing about this mitt is its size...it fits perfectly in your hand and is easy to hold. I don`t even use the hand pocket.

pwaug, good tip about putting a sponge inside a mitt for really dirty cars.

Accumulator
06-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I don`t get the appeal/supposed advantages of this type of "Muppet Mitt" :confused: It seems to me that the design is a move in the wrong direction.

I prefer as many, and as fine, strands of nap as possible for the following reasons:

-smaller strands will convey less "contact weight" to the surface being washed

-more fine strands will result in a greater chance of them overlapping, resulting in fewer "missed spots" with each pass

-the fine strands will be more gentle than the larger, heavier ones

-more fine strands will provide greater surface area for the transferred contamination to stick to (especially important with ONR type washes), thus there should be a greater chance that dirt will get transferred to a "fresh" clean area rather than "piling up" on an already-dirty area

-the greater surface area will also make it more likely that dirt will become "entangled" in the nap resulting in less potential for marring (note that I do not believe that dirt "migrates" very far up the nap, but rather gets entangled in it)

As regulars here know, I`m not a big ONR user; I came up with the above thoughts when I considered this type of MF for use with my (conventional) wash method where a very light, interrupted "jiggling" motion is employed while whisking the mitt across the surface as gently as possible, but as noted I thought some of my ideas seemed especially relevant with regard to rinseless washing.

Comments/criticisms/differing opinions are invited, let`s (civilly, of course ;) ) give this a well-reasoned :argue

imported_WhyteWizard
06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
I use a hydrophilic sponge with a diamond pattern cut into one side, half way through and about 3/4 of an inch apart. It rinses better than cloth, the amount of water can be controlled with a squeeze and they last a very long time. When the ones I use for the top surfaces look used up I make new ones and move the ones I`ve been using for the top to use below the belt line.

Hydrophilic sponges are about two dollars each and they work great cut into four pieces for putting on polish/wax as well.

Robert

Dan
06-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I bounce back and forth between a MF covered sponge and a Mother`s sheepskin. The MF covered sponge stays wet longer, but the sheepskin just glides along the surface. Ideally I`d have a sheepskin covered sponge. I`ve had the MF sponges with the fingers, not a huge fan as the fingers keep getting caught in cracks and there doesn`t seem to be enough nap.

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I`m not sure what you paid, but I bought the same thing (but mine was double sided) for $5 at walmart. Works great.

RobD
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I`m not sure what you paid, but I bought the same thing (but mine was double sided) for $5 at walmart. Works great.

I paid $6 for it.

RobD
06-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I don`t get the appeal/supposed advantages of this type of "Muppet Mitt" :confused: It seems to me that the design is a move in the wrong direction.

I prefer as many, and as fine, strands of nap as possible for the following reasons:

-smaller strands will convey less "contact weight" to the surface being washed

-more fine strands will result in a greater chance of them overlapping, resulting in fewer "missed spots" with each pass

-the fine strands will be more gentle than the larger, heavier ones

-more fine strands will provide greater surface area for the transferred contamination to stick to (especially important with ONR type washes), thus there should be a greater chance that dirt will get transferred to a "fresh" clean area rather than "piling up" on an already-dirty area

-the greater surface area will also make it more likely that dirt will become "entangled" in the nap resulting in less potential for marring (note that I do not believe that dirt "migrates" very far up the nap, but rather gets entangled in it)

As regulars here know, I`m not a big ONR user; I came up with the above thoughts when I considered this type of MF for use with my (conventional) wash method where a very light, interrupted "jiggling" motion is employed while whisking the mitt across the surface as gently as possible, but as noted I thought some of my ideas seemed especially relevant with regard to rinseless washing.

Comments/criticisms/differing opinions are invited, let`s (civilly, of course ;) ) give this a well-reasoned :argue

Your reasoning is sound. I would tend to agree with you. Yet, here are my feelings on the matter...

Regarding rinse-less washing, even though I have always been leery about it, I have started using ONR successfully. That said, I always pre-soak with QD strength ONR, use a light touch and frequently rinse out the sponge/mitt while washing. I also use a bit of common sense when using ONR (I have version 2) and will perform a regular wash when I think it`s necessary.

Regarding the wash mitt itself, I first used ONR with my sheepskin mitt. It worked OK, but it seemed to drag a bit and the finish did not seem slick when drying it, nor did it look glossy.

Next, I took Scottwax`s suggestion and tried MF sponges. In general, they worked better than the sheepskin mitt, but they got dirty quickly and there`s not much pile for absorbing grit. Though I haven`t noticed significant marring, the MF sponge did sometimes feel like it was dragging dirt across the paint. Verses the sheepskin mitt, the paint felt somewhat slicker while drying, but not very slick to the touch. Gloss was also marginal.

The "Muppet Mitt" seems to work best (previously, I`ve never used this style mitt for any washing). I use very little pressure and it just glides over the paint. It doesn`t seem to get as dirty or hold-on to as much dirt as the other mitts, yet it does clean the paint well (I haven`t used it on a real dirty car, though). The rinse water gets just as dirty and the drying towels remain mostly clean. The paint feels slicker while drying and afterwards. It also looks decently glossy.

arack
06-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I am not a big fan of ONR washing in general. I think it is just another product to be pushed to the uninformed masses. ONR is for quitters.

mikenap
06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I am not a big fan of ONR washing in general. I think it is just another product to be pushed to the uninformed masses. ONR is for quitters.

This should be good....:hide: