PDA

View Full Version : Got a new car, need tips on what to get!

aretardedorange
06-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2012 Audi A6 with the brilliant black exterior. Not many swirl marks, it looks very clean. However a week after I took delivery its dirty everywhere. This is my first black car, I really want to get the best (affordable) products out there to keep the finish nice, clean, streak and swirl free.

Right now, I barely have any good items. I will be "starting" from "scratch". My budget is around $100 (please dont kill me lol). My daily driver a 08 TL is gray, my old 5 series was space gray, both these cars, I washed often but did not really use the "proper techniques", but on gray you can`t see anything LOL so it did not really matter. But on black, everything shows.

So I need something good to wash the car with, I was thinking meguiars gold car wash....I have that at home. I want a good wax, hopefully something that is made for a black car. My next few questions are, what will the best sealant/polish be? I was looking and someone suggested this HD Poxy (16 oz) [422OZ16] - $19.99 : High Definition Car Care, Eco-friendly auto detailing supplies (http://cart.hdcarcare.com/waxes/hd-poxy-16-oz). Its a sealant +wax. I have heard good things about blackfire wet diamond, but is that sealant easy to apply by hand?

Lastly, in my area, the water is hard ANYTIME I wash my car, even if I dry it with a leafblower, waterspots show up instantly. Can I use ONR to always wash my car? Or is that not possible? Please advise me on that.

For my wheels, I am going to use sonax. For my interior, I have lexol for the leather.

Those big pack of microfibers at Sams Club, any good or dangerous for my paint?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first black car and I really want to take care of it. I am not interested in a machine because I saw the damage it can do, and I can`t afford to risk that, I also want to do everything by myself.

If anyone can put together a "package" for the items I would need, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dan
06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Gold Class is a good wash, but yes, you can always use ONR. Best if you do any washing in the shade, ONR works great in the garage. Get a good wash mit as well, I really like Mother`s sheepskin. I`d recommend HD Speed or NXT if you have spotting issues. Both will clean non etched waterspots. NXT does a bit of filling, which is always good on a black car. NXT does stain trim though. The Sams towels should be fin on Audi paint.

Thomas Dekany
06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I`d get SPEED, simply because it will outlast NXT and looks fantastic. As far as LSP, yes POXY is an amazing looking sealant. Make sure also to use 2 buckets to wash. Everything else, just follow Dan`s suggestion. Where do you live where the water is so hard?

Thomas Dekany
06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
PS: What did you see that scared you away from machines?

If you get the POXY, you may as well pick up a gallon of PINK CAR SOAP. You will love it.

Prepare Vehicle for Polishing & Waxing with Cleaning Soap - Pink Car Soap (http://www.3dproducts.com/Pink-Car-Soap.html?a_aid=8013)

Nth Degree
06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I love Black Fire Wet Diamond. Looks great on black, good durability and very easy to apply.

ONR washes are great. You can use it for every wash but I believe an occasional blast with a pressure washer or hose is necessary to get the dirt that settles into cracks, crevices and behind trim pieces. You can use ONR as a drying aid to help reduce spotting. I keep a small garden sprayer full of ONR and mist the car after hitting with the blower, then dry with a waffle weave towel. Works outstanding.