PDA

View Full Version : Claying a 1985 Cutlass

mbs431
05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
I have this posted in two different forums. I apologize but I am looking for an answer quickly. I have a client who is looking to get his 1985 Cutlass clayed and waxed. He said he may have read somewhere that it is not safe to clay this vehicle. Something about not having a clearcoat? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
05-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, from a liability perspective, wouldn`t it be wise to ask the manufacturer of the clay you are using?

mbs431
05-31-2012, 04:25 PM
well, it`s DI`s gentle fine grade clay. I think it`s one of the most gentle clays on the market.

Ron Ketcham
05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
A clear or not, there are many issues to consider.

The first is to do a detailed inspection of the paint finish on the hood, top and trunk.

Use a magnifer and look closely for small cracking, crazing of the paint.

Look for "rust streaks" in the paint finish, which means that it is rusting from the sheet metal up.

Look for etches, rust "blooms" in the paint finish.

Look for discoloring of the paint finish, mis-matching areas, etc.

Should you find any of these conditions, show the owner "exactly" what is there and explain the condition to them.

If none of the above are evident, it will not hurt to clay the vehicle, if any are present, I would not recommend doing so unless the owner, following your showing and explaining any of the conditions, signs off, in writting that he wishes work done.

Those older GM paints still used a "lacquer type" paint system and can be a bit touchy.

Grumpy

Dan
05-31-2012, 08:46 PM
well, it`s DI`s gentle fine grade clay. I think it`s one of the most gentle clays on the market.

Right, but what is our opinion worth on here? Honestly, if you are a detailer worth your salt, you wouldn`t be asking this question... but since you are, you need to ask the horse himself... and get something to CYA, because none of us are going to be able to do that for you. The way I read your question, you want assurance for the customer, that the mfg can provide.

mbs431
06-01-2012, 06:24 AM
yor opinion means a lot actually. Well maybe not yours. I`m looking for people who may have dealt with this type of paint before. If I get enough feedback saying it`s not a good idea, I simply call my client and say it`s not worth it. No big deal.

Accumulator
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
mbs431- As Ron pointed out, if the paint is compromised then claying (or polishing or most anything remotely aggressive for that matter...) can be risky. But I`ve clayed single stage, including fragile older lacquer, many times with zero issues.

FWIW [INSERT "YMMV!" disclaimer here...] I`ve clayed/compounded/polished cracked and crazed and otherwise compromised single stage (including older lacquers) without any problems too, but maybe I was lucky and maybe you won`t be lucky :nixweiss