PDA

View Full Version : After paint correction - opti-seal or opti-coat + other ?`s

LeMarque
05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
So I`m going to be faced with another black BMW. This one is a brand new 5 series w/swirls - no scratches. Customer came by to show me the car and I took an extremely soft MF towel and rubbed a 3 inch section of the hood and it marred.

First question is, so with a soft paint like this, how do you go about an IPA (or other suggestions welcome) wipe down without imparting more marring? I plan on testing with opti`s MF pad and spray compound.

Fast forward and the correction has been completed. If I don`t seal the finish and the owner has the car washed somewhere else, chances are swirls and marring.

What steps do folks take to protect the finish after a correction, minor or major.

imported_RZJZA80
05-30-2012, 10:37 AM
If it`s marring that easily, there`s little you can do. Use a plush MF, but even then I`ve had paints that would lightly marr no matter what, it`s just the way it is sometimes. Id you use a good QD and it marrs that way, then you just can`t expect a perfect finish, I`ve had many of those, all of them black.

LeMarque
05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
...then you just can`t expect a perfect finish, I`ve had many of those, all of them black.

So what`s you LSP in these situations? Any buyers remorse when the correction begins to swirl/marr again?

imported_RZJZA80
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
An AIO to lay down some protection, topped with whatever comes off the easiest, like butter. The less you have to rub to get the residue off, the less the marring will be. That`s really all you can do

Thomas Dekany
05-30-2012, 11:21 AM
So what`s you LSP in these situations? Any buyers remorse when the correction begins to swirl/marr again?

Here are my thoughts. And believe me, I`ve done a few black bmws :)

With experience you will learn to look at the whole picture instead of just getting excited and nervous about the correction itself. The most important part in a case like this is to educate the customer. If they understand that they made a "mistake" :D by buying a flat black car, and also how extremely difficult it is to maintain a marred finish, there is not much more that can be done. If the customer has any remorse, that his/her fault for not doing the research. As far as lap, use the one in your arsenal that is the easiest to use. Can we see the pictures?

LeMarque
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Here are my thoughts. And believe me, I`ve done a few black bmws :)

With experience you will learn to look at the whole picture instead of just getting excited and nervous about the correction itself. The most important part in a case like this is to educate the customer. If they understand that they made a "mistake" :D by buying a flat black car, and also how extremely difficult it is to maintain a marred finish, there is not much more that can be done. If the customer has any remorse, that his/her fault for not doing the research. As far as lap, use the one in your arsenal that is the easiest to use. Can we see the pictures?

Car will be here tomorrow. Just going to do a wash and probably Optimum spray wax. He`s going on a trip and will bring her back in a week or so. He also has a new black 1 series and a black Ford truck.

But I`ll take pics. Again, its covered with water spots. Wish there was a wash that could remove these.

So what is your process after correction? That is wipe down without marring the finish?

maxepr1
05-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Car will be here tomorrow. Just going to do a wash and probably Optimum spray wax. He`s going on a trip and will bring her back in a week or so. He also has a new black 1 series and a black Ford truck.

But I`ll take pics. Again, its covered with water spots. Wish there was a wash that could remove these.

So what is your process after correction? That is wipe down without marring the finish?

Whenever I do corrections on Black,(BMW,Nissan,Honda) I strongly encourage a permanent coating. Opti-coat/guard, A Quartz, Body Wrap, I have had great success with "Locking in the finish". As for the finishing down, I use LC Black and Optimum MF Finishing pads with 85rd, 106FA, 205 all take it down to LSP finish depending on what your working on and then I do a wipedown with Meg`s Final Inspection. ISP tends to due more damage than good, so with then thinest MF towel(Cobra Final wipedown) spray lightly FI and gently wipe down the car. I have had some success with an ONR wash after correction before LSP. Then coat in whatever coating you want. I just finished a Nissan Altima in Black that so soft that a finger rub marred the paint! After OC, no more!