PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on these wheels?

JoshLSTV
05-27-2012, 05:34 AM
I`ve been trying to clean these wheels that have discolored. I went out and got some A2Z, and while that did a great job cleaning the brake dust and grime, it didn`t do anything for the discoloration. I`ve posted a picture of what I`m talking about. The rest of my wheels look pretty much the same. I`m going to guess theres nothing that can be done, but I thought I`d see if anyone has any advice.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb389/iPodTouch4G/Spring%202012%20-%20Contour%20SVT%20Polish%20and%20Wax/IMG_0082.jpg

Underdawg736GTC
05-27-2012, 09:46 AM
It looks like they`re clear coated and it`s going bad on ya. I`m not 100% positive but I think the only fix is to have them re coated. You could try compounding them to see if it`s just staining from a powerful cleaner, I`m sure folks here with tons more experience can guide you better then I can.

Nth Degree
05-27-2012, 10:28 AM
I agree with Underdawg. It looks like the clear coat is failing and will probably need to be refinished. While this could simply happen over time, it can be caused by constant use of acidic cleaners, applying wheel cleaner to hot wheels or allowing wheel cleaners to dry on the surface. Everyone should keep that in mind to protect their wheels.

Ron Ketcham
05-27-2012, 10:28 AM
YUP!!!!

Clearcoat, which is a powdercoat clear, is toast.

Grumpy