PDA

View Full Version : Megs Cleaner Wax

Pages : [1] 2

SphyNxXx
05-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I was looking for opinions on the Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax as a paintwork cleaner before a sealant. I have typically used Klasse AIO as my cleaner before applying Wolfgang Sealant, but I am almost out of AIO and I have a sample bottle of the Megs Cleaner Wax around. If it works well, especially under a product like Wolfgang, I wouldn`t mind switching to it since it is over-the-counter. Thanks!

DM101
05-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax is a ok product. There are many other AIO`s that are better.

IHA Mark
05-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax is a ok product. There are many other AIO`s that are better.

This. for OCT $7 it is ok, for serious work get something a little better. Many good polishes out there.

imported_Erik Mejia
05-26-2012, 07:40 PM
I was looking for opinions on the Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax as a paintwork cleaner before a sealant. I have typically used Klasse AIO as my cleaner before applying Wolfgang Sealant, but I am almost out of AIO and I have a sample bottle of the Megs Cleaner Wax around. If it works well, especially under a product like Wolfgang, I wouldn`t mind switching to it since it is over-the-counter. Thanks!

Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax is a good surface prep product. Mostly chemical cleaning action in the product. It is not going to remove too many scratches. For a cleaner wax with more cutting ability step up to M66 or D151. D151 will correct the most imperfections. I`d say it`s Meg`s best AIO.

Jesstzn
05-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I think I`d be more concerned that the Megs cleaner wax may put down somthing that a sealant might not bond to after.

Underdawg736GTC
05-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I have a few of the sample bottles provided in the OTC clay kit. I haven`t used them in several years on a vehicle but I remember that it did its job well. It wasn`t jaw dropping nor was it a an epic failure, the cars looked nice and clean! This was before I stepped up to machine (DA) polishing and would use either this or the old DC Paint Cleaner and followed up with NXT. I don`t remember having any durability issues with the sealant, but then again at that time I really didn`t know what to look for.

With that being said, I will tell you this.......it does a fantastic job cleaning up my bathroom!! Wife thinks I`m a complete nut to wax the tub/shower, throne, and sink.....she just doesn`t understand! lol!!

HLxDrummer
05-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Do you guys have recommendations for OTC cleaners without protection? I have waxes/sealants I like to use, but after reading another thread about oxidation on single stage paints, I want to try a cleaner instead of buffing it out (never used a cleaner before - would this work?).

Dan
05-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Its one of most under appreciated waxes there is. I really like it overall, but it has to things that make most detailers hate it, it stains the heck out of trim and it doesn`t bead strongly. Its a good cleaner and has a nice warm look to it as well. It leaves the surface nice and slick....BUT its not that strong of a cleaner.

For a true OTC cleaner, check out Duragloss` paint cleaner. That said, there are no better paint cleaners than KAIO, the stuff is in a league of its own and it seems to work with almost any sealant.

DM101
05-27-2012, 12:42 PM
OTC duragloss at carquest 652 Duragloss PreCleaner (PC) #652 (http://www.autogeek.net/duprp6.html) Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish at pep boys Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish | Product Details | Pep Boys (http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/398956/134/) 3M makes some good polishes also

HLxDrummer
05-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys!

Thomas Dekany
05-27-2012, 01:15 PM
A man with experience! My thought exactly. If it contains carnauba, the sealant will suffer over it.

Use it, but follow it with an IPA wipe down. I would

I think I`d be more concerned that the Megs cleaner wax may put down somthing that a sealant might not bond to after.

SphyNxXx
05-27-2012, 05:23 PM

This was my biggest concern with the Megs cleaner. I know WG seemed to bond well over KAIO. I am looking for more of a simple paint cleaner than a scratch/swirl corrector since WG sealant doesn`t have any cleaning properties to it. What about the Megs ColorX as a replacement for KAIO? I have found some good comments for ColorX on here.

Thomas Dekany
05-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Just use alcohol to wipe down the paint prior to applying your LSP. Why waste $$$ on colorX?

Dan
05-28-2012, 09:35 AM
What about the Megs ColorX as a replacement for KAIO? I have found some good comments for ColorX on here.

ColorX is a nice OTC paint cleaner, with KAIO being an 11 on a 1-10 scale, I`d put ColorX as a 6 or 7 in the cleaning dept.

imported_MCA
05-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Meg`s cleaner wax is a run-of-the-mill AIO. It doesn`t excel or fail in any specific area. I like colorX and mother`s cleaner wax version much better. I used to be a WG fanatic and it doesn`t play/bond well to ColorX.