PDA

View Full Version : Help\suggestions detailiong 2 older cars - very new to site

gary888
05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi! First let me compliment everyone on this site for the wealth of information - like the fabled knights templar treasure. It is total, overwhelming overkill. My idea of car paint care used to consist of washing the car and then waxing the car.

So, hopefully the more experienced on this site can point me towards the right areas for my specific vehicles. I have

1)2001 VW GTI Gray/silver (black cloth/plastic interior/stick shift with leather boot) - the paint and clearcoat - i`m pretty sure it has clearcoat - are in pretty good shape. The car has swirls and some scratches, a long sratch in the driver-side door in the clear coat only.

2)1989 Honda Prelude White (cloth dark grey/purple pinstrip seats/ bluish gray plastic -like gunmetal blue/gray with light gray upper salon peices - pillars, roof liner, etc and black carpet). The paint has the following issues

- radiator coolant (green) stains on the front of the hood

- general grease stains around hood area (from the work I`ve been doing to it)

- swirls and scratching (circular) on the most of the flat planes -hood, roof)

- uneven wax on the vertical surfaces - shiny in some places and looks flat in others

- clear coat failure and flaking on trunk lid (will be stripped,primed and repainted professionally)

My questions are:

1. Are there products/brands that work better with different car makes/colors/year of vehicle - i.e older vehicles?

2. What would be the process - particularly with the Honda - to improve the paint as much as possible?

3. The car is going to a body shop for some minor repairs. Should I do anything for the paint before I turn it in?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas Dekany
05-23-2012, 04:28 PM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have them do what they need to and you work on the paint afterwards.

The white car is single stage it sounds like. No difference in working with SS or Cleared paints.

Q1 - no

What ever you use on one car will work on another make

Q2 - If I worked on the car for you, I`d use HD UNO to get rid of all the oxidation with wool pads or foam cutting pads on the pc. Is that what you have?

I`d follow it with HD SPEED or HD POLISH. Protect with HD POXY or HD NITRO SEAL

That simple.

You would be amazed how that combo would make you car look like

Hi! First let me compliment everyone on this site for the wealth of information - like the fabled knights templar treasure. It is total, overwhelming overkill. My idea of car paint care used to consist of washing the car and then waxing the car.

So, hopefully the more experienced on this site can point me towards the right areas for my specific vehicles. I have

1)2001 VW GTI Gray/silver (black cloth/plastic interior/stick shift with leather boot) - the paint and clearcoat - i`m pretty sure it has clearcoat - are in pretty good shape. The car has swirls and some scratches, a long sratch in the driver-side door in the clear coat only.

2)1989 Honda Prelude White (cloth dark grey/purple pinstrip seats/ bluish gray plastic -like gunmetal blue/gray with light gray upper salon peices - pillars, roof liner, etc and black carpet). The paint has the following issues

- radiator coolant (green) stains on the front of the hood

- general grease stains around hood area (from the work I`ve been doing to it)

- swirls and scratching (circular) on the most of the flat planes -hood, roof)

- uneven wax on the vertical surfaces - shiny in some places and looks flat in others

- clear coat failure and flaking on trunk lid (will be stripped,primed and repainted professionally)

My questions are:

1. Are there products/brands that work better with different car makes/colors/year of vehicle - i.e older vehicles?

2. What would be the process - particularly with the Honda - to improve the paint as much as possible?

3. The car is going to a body shop for some minor repairs. Should I do anything for the paint before I turn it in?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.