PDA

View Full Version : Leather Masters Cleaner for Aniline Leather

andrewmr
05-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2010 BMW 328i sedan with the Dakota Leather package. I picked up a bottle of Leather Master Leather Cleaner - the foam pump bottle, as shown here at Autogeek: Leather Master Car Interior Strong Leather Cleaner, car leather cleaner, leather seats cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leather-cleaner.html) - based on what I thought was the recommendation in TOGWT`s aniline leather care article. However, I now see the label on the bottle specifically says "do not use on anline leather". Did I get the wrong type of LM cleaner? If so, what do I need to use instead?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

togwt
05-21-2012, 03:05 AM
The leather used for automotive upholstery varies from leather industry standard descriptions and although the names are similar the type of leather, pigmentation and finish are often very different. Genuine Aniline leather is very rarely used for automobile upholstery as it is not rigorous enough to stand up to the conditions it would be subjected to.

However auto mfg ( the pc version’ label leather differently’) a leather interior, especially when its given the name of a US state or Baseball leather, sounds more exotic (and expensive) than a leather with a urethane covering

Micro Pigment (mislabelled Aniline leather) - (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) is a term used by the auto leather industry to better describe leather with a fine layer of pigment coating as opposed to the mislabelled Aniline leather, which will absorb body oils and moisture unless it has been treated in some way. LM products are fine to use on `Aniline` finished leather

Lather Masters products are formulated for leather care, which includes furniture, fashion items, etc, as well as auto finished leathers so they stick to the leather industries descriptions of leather-Aniline, Nappa, etc

andrewmr
05-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated!

togwt
05-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Glad to be of some help...