PDA

View Full Version : Need input and opinion on detailing nightmare!

Pages : [1] 2

Elonheater32
05-20-2012, 04:38 PM
I have always detailed my own vehicles since I take great pride in the finished product. I recently purchased my first vehicle that was not white or silver which was a Aruba Blue 20010 Audi A5. Of course, it being blue showed every single imperfection including swirl marks and holograms were evident on the hood. I was unable to get swirl marks out of my silver 2008 BMW 335i so I wanted to leave my Audi A5 to the pros. I had been using my Porter Cable and figured that I needed someone that used a high speed polisher and of course with more experience!

This is when my search for a great detailer began in my area. I live in Greensboro, NC so I started calling a ton of detailers and I had in my mind that I was going to hire the person who knew the most about detailing and was NOT going to simply hire the cheapest person. I finally found this guy and explained to him that I had some swirl marks and holograms and he had quoted me that it would be approximately $250 for the job so I told him that I wanted him to do it. He told me that he was going to send me his "best guy" there.

So Friday came when they were supposed to come detail the car and a completely different company came. I later found that the guy that I hired to do the job had contracted out the job to someone else since they were too busy to do it themselves.

So this is when the nightmare started. The second they came they squirted polish on my vehicle and took the machine polisher and started breaking down the polish. Horrified, I walked down there and asked them if they were not going to wash the vehicle first since I have always been super picky to get every single bit of dirt/grime off before I even start thinking about waxing or polishing any of my vehicles. The gentleman seemed very annoyed that I was sort of watching them and told me that they would wash after the polish. I was speechless, but did not know what to say since this guy was his "best guy" so I figured that I was naive and not "up to date" on the latest detailing processes.

He literally spent less than 90 seconds on each piece of sheet metal. I myself including all of the other detailing videos I have seen includes the polish being broken down very well and working it into the paint deliberately, but this guy was polishing my car as if it was a pie eating contest. Keep in mind that I had explicitly explained to the gentleman that I was after swirl mark and hologram correction and not just the "run of the mill" car dealership detail. After polishing my car it seemed as if he applied wax to the vehicle twice which he later confirmed that he did put two coats of wax on it.

He brought my vehicle up the driveway and requested for me to look the car over. After looking at the car it looked good, but then again what vehicle would not after putting 2 coats of wax on it. I did notice a TON of hazing on the hood and roof and trunk lid so I told him that I was concerned about the hazing because it looked very bad and he quickly wiped the surface of the hood with his towel in attempt to get the hazing off which by the way did absolutely nothing to get the hazing off and then immediately requested for payment. I was a bit confused and VERY annoyed about the process and the hazing that was present on my vehicle but I figured that I could get the hazing out very easily myself and quite frankly I just wanted them off my property since I felt as if I had gotten a mediocre detail job.

Once they left, I took my Cobra cloth and started trying to get the hazing out. It was literally taking me 5 minutes to work on a small streak of hazing to get it out.... the hazing was nearly impossible for me to get out and I spent over a hour and half getting all of the hazing out. Extremely frustrated, I contacted the gentleman that I had contacted for the detail job and told him my concerns.

I had told him that they polished my vehicle before washing it and by the way... my car had not been washed in over a month and was filthy. It had dirt, grime, bird poop, and mud on the bottom of it... you name it .. .it was on the car. The gentleman agreed that a vehicle should NEVER be polished before being washed unless it was very clean and he told me he was going to contact the person that did the detail to get their side of the story.

Later that day, he got back in touch with me and explained to me that after talking to a few of his friends.... that they told him that the "pros" polish cars all the time before washing them and that it was acceptable. He had also sent me a list of the process that they used on my vehicle which is listed as below......

1) First pass high speed wheel using medium compound

2) Clay (I do not know how the pros clay, but what they called claying my car took them all of 5 minutes????) It takes me about an hour to properly clay my car but thats just me....

3) 2nd pass light compound

4) Clay (wow... claying my car twice???)

5) Orbital low speed polish using a mild finishing product

6) Wash to remove compound (I am confused about this....) If they wiped down the polish properly with a cloth then why wash???

7) Carnuba and sealant blend (I am pretty sure he used too much sealant which is what left the hazing)

To top it off.... A week after the detail the wax apparently has worn off a bit because now I see a TON of swirl marks and holograms.... I even see holograms where I did not have it before. The vehicle is in much worse shape than it was before and I thought I was paying for a TOP notch detail job. The guy that I hired to do the job admitted that the guy that he had sent to do my Audi was the first swirl mark detail job that he had sent him to.

So at this point what do I do? Is it ever acceptable to polish the vehicle when it is filthy dirty? Is it possible to get true swirl mark correction while only working in the polish for a minute for each panel? I am sooooo aggravated that I shelled out over $200 for something that I could have not only done tremendously better job of it myself, but it actually looks much worse than it did before : (

Please give me your professional input and opinions on this matter.

Thanks in advance!!!

IHA Mark
05-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Well just to start things off...

1. I ALWAYS wash the vehicle first unless it is EXTREMELY clean, and even then 90% of the time I at least do an ONR QD spray and wipe down.

2. Why would you clay AFTER polishing? The purpose of a clay bar treatment it to remove contaminants BEFORE correcting and/or protecting the paint. About time claying that really depends on the state the paint is in when doing the job. I have clayed cars in as little as 15 min and have taken over an hour to clay before, so the time really depends on the vehicle.

3. Starting out with compound?! I usually start out with a simple polish like HD polish, pinnacle XMT, or the old version or UNO on a pure polish pad and see how that is working before working my way to compound. Sometimes I will even go to an orange pad with polish before busting out the m105. It is always easier to work up than down when dealing with paint corrections. Only amateurs have a "set process" for dealing with paint corrections, as most vehicles have different levels of paint hardness, levels of damage, etc.

4. You are dealing with an amateur because he sent someone else to do his work. I would NEVER sub out work to someone unless I was 100% sure they were competent. The fact that he was surprised by the hack jobs detailing process tells you he really didn`t care.

5. He quoted you a paint correction job site unseen? I will give people ball park figures based on what they tell me, but ALL true pricing is done by estimate. Package deals are different of course, because you can tell them exactly what they are going to get for that amount of money.

Nth Degree
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I feel for you. It is people like that that cause people to view us all with skepticism. I am in the Raleigh area and have traveled that distance before, though not often. I would actually be interested in checking your vehicle and helping you out with this. It sounds like heavy fillers were used. I wish you would have had the guy stop right at the beginning when you felt something was not right rather than risk him doing damage to the whole car.

If you have reason to head in any direction out of the Triad there is someone I could probably recommend to look. In the meantime, I would recommend not having anything done to the car until you have someone who really knows what they are doing assess it. Once you have someone else try to correct it the first guy is off the hook since the evidence has been erased. Please call or email me.

Chris Chandler

Nth Degree Auto Detailing

nthdegreenc@aol.com

919-475-9013

Nth Degree Auto Detailing | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nth-Degree-Auto-Detailing/224991604192557)

Underdawg736GTC
05-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I`m not a pro but if you paid me $250 dollars......I would`ve busted my rump to ensure you got the best possible finish.....period.

It`s asinine to think you can hit the paint with a machine BEFORE washing....I would`ve stopped him right then and there and told him to get the bleep off my car and property. 5 minute clay job?? It takes me 10 minutes to at least do a hood.....a relatively contaminate free hood at that.

I`m sorry to say it but you got HACKED....BAD! Inspect every inch of your cars surface for any type of damage, he could`ve of done some paint damage especially if it was his "first" swirl removal job! So much for sending his "best guy" right?

I`d be this guy`s worst nightmare and raise all sorts of Cain! Did you document the condition of the paint after the hack job was complete? I`d go as far as to report his biz to the BBC on terms of shoddy workmanship and false advertisement. If it was as bad to your car, imagine what they`re doing to everyone else`s!

I read up on a lot of detailing information both good and bad so that I can spot and not repeat the bad....I`ve never heard of a process like this one, that just fail at it`s epicness!!

I`m sorry this happened to you my friend but rest assure the pros here will square you away!

Sean

C. Charles Hahn
05-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Definitely take Chris up on his offer, he will get you taken care of without a doubt.

mikenap
05-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Sorry to hear this happened. Sad to say that this happens more often than not. It`s hard to know the right questions to ask or the right people to listen to, and pictures can be deceiving. People here won`t lead you wrong, and you can trust that Chris will do the job right. Also, you should expect to pay more than $250 for full swirl mark removal if you are having an experienced, knowledgeable pro do the work. Especially on Audi paint, which is some of the hardest paint around.

Concours.John
05-21-2012, 08:10 AM
As Mike said this happens more often than not.

Here are some of the concerns about their "process"

a: not a prepared surface before polishing

b: from your description not much precautions (taping etc)

The problem with not preparing or insuring a clean surface is a big one.

The dirt, contaminants that are not removed can be picked up in the pad. This may induce cutting flaws deeper than the swirls into the surface. These will be masked by the swirls since they follow the same

pattern.

It`s been more than one "detail repair" I`ve had a finish turn out great but only to have a few random circular grooves from someone buffing a car clean vs. cleaning before buffing. Sometimes these may be too deep to remove safely all at once.

Not prepping or taping.... (assuming rotary, or compounding) It takes a ton of control and patience to correct with minimal taping nonetheless any. Even a seasoned pro can thin an edge. Its been 17 years and I still take nothing for granted on edge to edge corrections.

As mentioned Audi paint can be very hard and deep defects take some care and time. Hope with the help here you can get your paint back on track.

If nothing else make sure the next correction is documented. It may get you nowhere with the original guy. You will at least have something to show him what you were expecting and deserve a proper explanation. If nothing else it "may" make him reconsider how he farms out work....maybe.

Richard Grasa
05-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Wow, I cannot believe the hacks get away with doing this to people`s cars. I hope you get this taken care of quickly and easily.

mikenap
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
As Mike said this happens more often than not.

Here are some of the concerns about their "process"

a: not a prepared surface before polishing

b: from your description not much precautions (taping etc)

The problem with not preparing or insuring a clean surface is a big one.

The dirt, contaminants that are not removed can be picked up in the pad. This may induce cutting flaws deeper than the swirls into the surface. These will be masked by the swirls since they follow the same

pattern.

It`s been more than one "detail repair" I`ve had a finish turn out great but only to have a few random circular grooves from someone buffing a car clean vs. cleaning before buffing. Sometimes these may be too deep to remove safely all at once.

Not prepping or taping.... (assuming rotary, or compounding) It takes a ton of control and patience to correct with minimal taping nonetheless any. Even a seasoned pro can thin an edge. Its been 17 years and I still take nothing for granted on edge to edge corrections.

As mentioned Audi paint can be very hard and deep defects take some care and time. Hope with the help here you can get your paint back on track.

If nothing else make sure the next correction is documented. It may get you nowhere with the original guy. You will at least have something to show him what you were expecting and deserve a proper explanation. If nothing else it "may" make him reconsider how he farms out work....maybe.

Thanks John, that was a well-thought out and detailed explanation!

Elonheater32
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks a ton for the input!!! I have been e-mailing the owner (person that I called to do the job) in regards to my concerns. He seems as if he wants to make me happy and make this right. So far he has proposed that the guy that did the job comes back and "fixes" it (HECK NO!!!!) or a partial refund. In my opinion, now that the wax has worn off a bit and I am seeing that the holograms are much worse (obviously he put them in there) and the swirl marks look worse too, I think that I should get a FULL REFUND since the gentleman actually did more damage to my paint.

I am pretty sure that he will not give me a full refund, but do you guys think that I am in the right in asking for a full refund?

togwt
05-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Paint Correction Process

1. Wash

2. Detailer’s clay

3. Paint Decontamination

4. Dry paint surfaces

5. Tape protection (edges, emblems, panel edges, etc)

6. Check paint thickness (PTG)

7. Test Panel Process, dependent upon results proceed to (a) or ( b)

a) Compound

b) Polish

8. Final polish

9. Apply paint protection

Thomas Dekany
05-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Full refund of course, but that may not happen. If the weather is sunny, take as many pictures of the panels as you can and send them to the person you contacted.

Personally, if I saw someone attempt to polish my car and not wash it first, I would have stopped him on the spot.

In any case, your story will have a happy ending thanks to Chris. Keep us posted.

PS: Post the names of both companies here to prevent butchers taking detail jobs.

Richard Grasa
05-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks a ton for the input!!! I have been e-mailing the owner (person that I called to do the job) in regards to my concerns. He seems as if he wants to make me happy and make this right. So far he has proposed that the guy that did the job comes back and "fixes" it (HECK NO!!!!) or a partial refund. In my opinion, now that the wax has worn off a bit and I am seeing that the holograms are much worse (obviously he put them in there) and the swirl marks look worse too, I think that I should get a FULL REFUND since the gentleman actually did more damage to my paint.

I am pretty sure that he will not give me a full refund, but do you guys think that I am in the right in asking for a full refund?

I think you have every right to ask for a full refund and that he pay in full for someone else to fix it. I`m sure he`s not going to want to pay to have it fixed, but you should def get a full refund since they did damage your car and now it`s going to cost more $ to have it fixed properly. I would not let the owner or anyone else he would refer you to touch it. Find a good detailer that this forum recommends. If there`s not someone like that in your area, do tons of research and have the best one do it. This would make me so angry that if he doesn`t at least give you a full refund I would threaten to leave bad reviews for both the original company you called and the one who hacked your car all over the internet, and also tell them you will call the BBB, and maybe a couple reporters to make sure everyone knows the way they work and screw people. Sounds like you are being very patient and I commend you for that, but don`t let them get away with this. It`s this type of thing that gives us real detailers a bad name along with the hacks.

Grimm
05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about this disaster! Myself, as soon as I saw him try to polish without washing, I would have politely asked Jeff Suggs to walk away from my car and get back in his van and leave. :jaw:

Nth Degree
05-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Do not let anyone touch your car yet. I wouldn`t even wash it until it can be assessed. Measurements of the paint should be taken before any further action is taken to correct it, especially on ridges.

Please call or email me.