PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding vs megs Microfiber correction system

Pages : [1] 2

Scooter2525
05-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Today I tried out wet sanding with 2000 grit paper and was surprised how well it worked. Thankfully I didn`t destroy the paint on my beater. ;) After wet sanding, I pulled out the megs CS and polished out the marks. It got me thinking of what would be the in between of the microfiber system and wet sanding? Thanks!

Thomas Dekany
05-17-2012, 06:43 PM
What is megs CS? Are you using a rotary?

Scooter2525
05-17-2012, 07:26 PM
What is megs CS? Are you using a rotary?

DA, Meguiar`s Microfiber Correction System

http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/dmckit5-da-microfiber-correction-system-kit-5/

Thomas Dekany
05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
I see. Just use any of your available polishes.

Thomas Dekany
05-17-2012, 07:29 PM
After sanding, I`d use wool before the MF pads. Finish with foam though.

Scooter2525
05-17-2012, 09:16 PM
After sanding, I`d use wool before the MF pads. Finish with foam though.

How does wool work with a DA machine?

Also, I should have re-written my post, I`m curious what is less aggressive then wet sanding but more aggressive then the Megs DA system.

Based on your post, it looks like the wool is but I`m curious to hear what else.

chrisguga
05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
5 inch Tuf Buf black lambs wool pads are AWESOME. They`re a little more aggressive than the microfiber system. I have and use both on a Porter Cable. There`s really not much in between except stepping up your compound to Meg`s 105 or Meg`s 101.

Also, the microfiber system and wool will typically remove more clear coat than sanding.

Scooter2525
05-18-2012, 12:00 AM
5 inch Tuf Buf black lambs wool pads are AWESOME. They`re a little more aggressive than the microfiber system. I have and use both on a Porter Cable. There`s really not much in between except stepping up your compound to Meg`s 105 or Meg`s 101.

Also, the microfiber system and wool will typically remove more clear coat than sanding.

And that pad works okay on a DA system? Still use compound?

togwt
05-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Wool pads are not recommended for random orbital machines (Porter Cable 7424, etc) as wool pads nap / fibres works more efficiently with a centrifugal motion. Foam cutting pads tend to be much’ stiffer’ than wool fibres and thus will transfer the movement of the machine to the paint surface more efficiently than a comparable wool pad on an orbital polisher

Thomas Dekany
05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Wool pads work wonderful with the pc (I have 2 GG6 and a pc xp)

Wool is also your in between step, get 5" sizes. Black wool, purple foamed wool, both cut very well. Foam simply can`t match it.

DDN79
05-18-2012, 08:18 AM
If you want something more aggressive then the MF system with a DA, some of the heavier cutting pads like the Cyan HT pads will have more cut. But if wanted something with more cut, my go to pad is the Surbuf pads with M101.

chrisguga
05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Wool pads are not recommended for random orbital machines (Porter Cable 7424, etc) as wool pads nap / fibres works more efficiently with a centrifugal motion. Foam cutting pads tend to be much’ stiffer’ than wool fibres and thus will transfer the movement of the machine to the paint surface more efficiently than a comparable wool pad on an orbital polisher

Have you used Tuf Buf 5" black wool pads? That pad specifically?

I`m guessing not because I have used them, microfiber pads, foam, and have wet sanded and those wool pads work GREAT. I use them with Meg`s 105 and will try them with my new bottle of Meg`s 101 when the job requires it.

HLxDrummer
05-18-2012, 07:09 PM
I actually just did a car today with LC orange pads and M105/Ultimate Compound and was wishing I had something a little more aggressive. Is the MF system what I am looking for on a G110?

chrisguga
05-19-2012, 11:25 AM
I tried the MF pads and I`m going back to the Tuf Buf wool pads for heavy correction work and foam pads for refining on my PC.

Accumulator
05-19-2012, 11:57 AM
*SOME* wool pads work well via RO polishers, and other wool pads don`t.

With ROs of limited power (e.g., the PC) I only get good results with little 4" wool pads and you still have to use a RO-friendly product.

Eh, when I wetsand I do the final sanding with 3-4K instead of 2K, and those marks come out easily enough without resorting to extremely aggressive, or unusual, polisher/pad/product combos. I can get 2K scratches out OK with a RO, but that`s not the way I like to go about it.

Oh, and unless somebody`s gonna be doing a lot of that kind of thing, I wouldn`t recommend the SurBufs. The learning curve can be a bit much (I never got great results with `em) and by the time sombody "masters" that approach they coulda been done with a MF/etc. approach with less clear taken off overall. And yeah, I`ve discussed this with Kevin Brown, who`s not :argue

You folks who are wetsanding are being careful not to take off more than half-a-mil, right...including all the subsequent compounding and polishing? Just checking...