PDA

View Full Version : best approach to a 350,000 mile 88 BMW engine

tssdetailing
05-11-2012, 06:35 AM
I have a long time customer who for the first time ever wants his engine cleaned up. Last I had a look under the hood, it was a mess, lots of dust and a jumble of wires etc. This car is an all original, daily driven 88 BMW 3 series drop top. I`m very apprehensive about this gig. Can anyone give me some pointers?

http://www.tssdetailing.com/images/thumbs/garyCarAfter.jpg

Dan
05-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Light misting of APC and ONR dampened (junk) MF towels. There is no way in hell I would go spraying water around that car. The 80`s cars were loaded with electronics that weren`t exactly waterproof.

togwt
05-11-2012, 07:14 AM
“Engine Bay Cleaning: Protection of Electrical Components” Blog - http://www.autopia.org/forum/blogs/togwt/engine-bay-cleaning-protection-electrical-components-351/

Accumulator
05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
tssdetailing- I simply *love* using solvents for things like this. They cut grease/etc. really well and evaporate cleanly.

It`s been a looong time since I had my e30 M3, but I don`t recall it being all that sensitive to underhood cleaning/moisture. I never got things soaking wet, but I never worried much about it either. I sure wouldn`t hesitate to use a steamer in there.

SpoolinNoMore
05-12-2012, 09:12 AM
For the metal parts, some stiffer plastic bristle brushes and harsh solvents would serve you well. As Accumulator said, a steamer would be perfect for this.

Accumulator
05-12-2012, 01:33 PM
For the metal parts, some stiffer plastic bristle brushes...

Also brass bristle brushes, but you gotta be a little more careful with those.

imported_truzoom
05-13-2012, 06:38 PM
I say go to town with the water when cleaning the engine bay, but afterward use the blow function of a shopvac or a leaf blower (electric) to blast water out of all the crevices. This is how I`ve detailed engines for years and have not run into any issues.

Also, as Accumulator mentioned, utilize the cleaning power of solvents to do the `scrubbing` for you.