PDA

View Full Version : Using Paint Sealant and Wax

Pages : [1] 2

BBK11
05-09-2012, 07:10 PM
HI: New to the forum and to real detailing:

Just got a new Acura MDX and in the past, have just used Zymol Polish to keep my car waxed.

Well, with the new car, have been doing some research, and it seems now a lot of people are using paint sealants.

Anyway, Got the Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant, but also got the PS21 Canuba wax. Wanted to put on the paint sealant, then a wax over this. But, I have heard from others that once you put the wax on, you shouldn`t put the paint sealant on again (at a later date) unless you remove the wax first since the sealant won`t be able to bond if the wax is under it.

Is this a correct assumption? Figure the wax breaks down over time, and that is why it is suggested to wax every 8 weeks. Don`t want to go through the trouble of having to take off a wax before putting down the paint sealant once again.

So should I just use paint sealant and forgo the wax?, or is it ok to wax after the sealant, then later when it is time again to apply paint sealant, will it work if I just do it over the existing wax?

Also, wanted to know what people`s thoughts when comparing Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant vs Wolfgang`s Deep Gloss Paint Sealant? Durablity, Looks, beading...

Thanks

BBK11

Dan
05-10-2012, 07:28 AM
I wouldn`t top BFWD. It looks and works great on its own. If you feel like it, two coats of BFWD should have you covered for quite a while. The layering rules you`ve heard are correct, but really, you can do whatever you like. If you use a strong wash, you can put BFWD on top again, though it may not last nearly as long as on clean paint. BFWD and Wolgang are very close, in fact I`d say the Wolfgang is a clone. Don`t get too hung up on one product vs another unless you are unhappy with a particular attribute.

What is your plan before applying the LSP?

togwt
05-10-2012, 08:07 AM
:welcome: to Autopia BBK11

BBK11
05-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry, don`t know what LSP stands for.

Also, really had no plan other than to put on BFWD or wax.

blucpe
05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
lsp= last step product.

Dan
05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Sorry, don`t know what LSP stands for.

Also, really had no plan other than to put on BFWD or wax.

As mentioned, LSP=last step product=wax or sealant. Its called last step because the steps before it are the most important. The LSP "locks in" your hard work. At minimum you are going to need to clay and use some sort of paint cleaner to get good bonding if you plan to use BFWD.

_Nathan
05-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Don`t bother applying wax on top of BFWD. BFWD is incredibly glossy and slick by itself and will far outlast any natural wax. I have tried CG 5050 on top of BFWD and didn`t see any improvement. If you feel the urge to apply something on top of BFWD then apply a 2nd layer of BFWD.

Junebug
05-11-2012, 06:41 AM
I agree, I`ve tried "topping" a good sealer like BFWD or Poxy with a wax and it just doesn`t do anything for the paint, sometimes it makes it worse. Now, the exception to this is CG`s Jet Seal, that stuff NEEDS topping, and either 50-50 or Pete`s 53 actually make the finish a heck of a lot better.

BBK11
05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all your comments and advice. As mentioned previously, read lot of forums, and reviews, and it seems like a lot of people top of with wax after paint sealant, but this forum seems to just keep to paint sealant. Appreciate all your input.

Thanks again

BBK11
05-11-2012, 01:20 PM
It is still difficult for me to conceptualize that paint sealants are in effect like wax. I am still old school and have the attitude that wax protects the car, and causes beading. Guess the modern wave is to use paint sealants in place of wax, since they are suppose to be more durable....

BBK11
05-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Question: If you do apply a paint sealant later on over a waxed car, then is it just that the paint sealant won`t last as long (4-6 months)? Is that the only issue?

Thanks

Dan
05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
... but this forum seems to just keep to paint sealant. Appreciate all your input.

Yeah, this forum is filled with (possibly overly) pragmatic detailers. If it doesn`t work, we don`t push it. A lot of other forums get caught up in over hyping stuff.

BBK11
05-11-2012, 02:46 PM
What would the forum suggest? Using paint sealant or using wax? Seems like you have to choose one or the other if you don`t have much time, or don`t want to do a ton of extra work? I understand it is an individual choice, but like I said, I have always used Polish (Zymol Cleaner Wax) in the past which kept my previous car in great shape. Seems to me wax is easier, because with paint sealer, have to wait 12 hours to cure...making sure no water gets on it. Also, can also periodically use stuff like Eagle One wash and wax spray inbetween.

Thoughts?

Dan
05-11-2012, 03:19 PM
If you like the Zymol Cleaner stuff, there is no reason to change. Cleaner waxes are great for daily drivers. They don`t have the durability of a good sealant, but in the end, they end up being less work. They do a fantastic job of keeping your paint clean and smooth (at least the good ones do). Since most detailers here clay and polish the paint, using a cleaner wax is a waste of time, so they aren`t as well received. However, as you have seen, they do a fabulous job.

Wax vs Sealant is a religion almost, you could read for days about pros and cons. Again, if ease of use is your most important factor, and AIO or cleaner wax is a great choice.

BBK11
05-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks Dan. Appreciate the honesty...