PDA

View Full Version : Werkstat questions for my 71` 911 (pics inside)

crockey
05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
This is my first post, so go easy on me:cool1:

I have been detailing cars (starting with my s2K back in 01`) for about 10 year. I have a 1971 911 that has just been professionally repainted with Dupont base/clearcoat in Light Ivory, which is a few shades down from bright white. The paint was finished at the end of March. I am approaching the end of the 3 month wait on applying wax/sealants (unless anyone tells me I can do it sooner). Have mostly used KAIO topped with P21s. After reading for a couple hours, I decided to go with the Werkstat Acrylic kit to try something new. My questions are:

1. Should I top it with a wax, or is this a waste of time? Looking for a "dripping wet look" for a local Porsche car show. My car is driven maybe 2 times a week, only in nice weather, and put up for the winter. (the early 911s did not have galvanized bodies, so rust is always a concern, and I live in Indiana). Looking at Collinite 915 or maybe FK1000P, but open to suggestions.

2. I have a Porter Cable 7424. What color pads would you suggest to apply the various Werk products (normally use Lake pads).

3. Does it make sense to do multiple layers of AJT, or is that overkill as well?

Any input is appreciated. The paint seems to have light swirls only from washing. I enjoy the detailing process, and the car is in a climate controlled garage most of the time. Want to start off right since I spent a pretty large amount for the paint job, which was done to a very high level. I will have plenty of time to apply multiple layers if needed. Really want to make it pop for the car show. Most of the local guys wash and follow with Turtle Wax, so I want to knock their socks off.

Here is the car:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/crockey27/P1020087.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/crockey27/P1020085.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/crockey27/P1020079.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/crockey27/P1020075.jpg

Ryoken0367
05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Will give you my thoughts on #1 and #3 here. I don`t have any thoughts on #2, since I don`t yet own a machine polisher.

Since I`ve never worked with Werkstat AJT, I`m not sure what it will look like, or if multiple coats will give you added durability or not (however a quick search says that layering it is a good thing). However, if the look it leaves isn`t to your liking, you can top it with a wax to adjust the look. If it`s for a show, adding a beauty wax over top will definitely not hurt anything! If it was just for a daily driver type of situation, then adding a wax topper is mostly a waste of time.

Hopefully somebody with more experience using Werkstat AJT can chime in and help a little more. :)

David@Exactmats
05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Not to distract from your original post, but that 911 is stunning...any interior shots?

Dan
05-09-2012, 10:38 AM
I`m not sure you are going to get any better results than the combo you have, KAIO and P21 is a pretty solid set. The only other recommendation I would make is either try 845IW or Zaino Z2. Both are amazing on white. Neither really fills though.

Accumulator
05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
crockey- Welcome to Autopia! Nice, *NICE* car :xyxthumbs

Considering what you`re thinking, I`d just use the FK1000P and see how you like it. My only concern is that it might be a bit "modern" looking for a vintage ride like that. I often think "it`s not supposed to look like a new Lexus" but then I`m nutty old-school about such stuff.

Since you want to ramp it up in the gloss dept., I think just using the FK will not only give you the look you want, but (and there`s ZERO question about this part!) will also give it incredible protection...like you just can`t imagine. Do a second coat after the next wash and then just wash it for ages.

The Collinite 915 will give it a bit more of the "vintage look" and is what I`d suggest for a concours detail, but I love the FK1000P so much I can`t bring myself to suggest you use the Collinite instead ;) But Collinite paste wax *is* what I used on an old Jag that I wanted "period correct".

If we`re *not* talking about PCA concours level judges, then the FK will be the one that wows people the most. The average Joe sees it and thinks "holy....!!".

You already determined to use the Werkstadt (?SP?) stuff (as in, already bought it)? You can just use the FK or Collinite after the Jeff`s.

I prefer mild polishing pads for AIOs instead of finishing pads. For waxing/etc. I`d look into the LC Gold waxing pad. I generally prefer smaller pads with that machine, so I`d stick with ~5.5" ones.

IF the swirls/etc. bother you, that opens a whole `nother topic. You could conceal them quite a bit by using Autoglym Super Resin Polish instead of the KAIO/etc. and then just apply the FK/Collinite over that.

Oh, and I would continue to wait until at least the 3 month point.

crockey
05-10-2012, 11:50 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/crockey27/P1020082.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/crockey27/P1020081.jpg

Above are a couple interior shots as requested.

Thanks for all the replies. After wash/clay, I was going to use a white pad with Sonus SFX-2 for the swirls, then Werkstat, and top with CG50/50. Spent way too much time reading wax reviews, and decided on that.

Does the white pad/Sonus/RA polisher seem sufficient for light swirls?

David@Exactmats
05-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Simply awesome....great car and thanks for the interior shots!

Accumulator
05-11-2012, 11:26 AM
crockey- No idea whether the Sonus will be sufficient, but you`ll find out when you try it :D

Scottwax
05-13-2012, 11:03 PM
First thing I`d do is work on the washing technique to minimize or eliminate swirling. Otherwise you`ll be chasing swirls until the end of time.

You will need something stronger than anything Werkstat has available to remove the swirls, but then you can use Prime and AJT to finish the car off. 2 coats of AJT to ensure full coverage is fine. I wouldn`t worry about topping, I think you will find that AJT looks really good on its own. If you are still set on using a carnauba, then follow Prime with the wax and then use the wax as often as needed. Putting down a sealant then topping with a wax is more work IMO than its worth. Just find the LSP you like and use it often. Keep it simple. More time to drive your 911.

PorscheGuy997
05-14-2012, 01:59 AM
I`ve always liked an early 911 in GP white.

Here`s mine:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN07432.jpg

Honestly, as long as the paint is flat (zero orange peel), the white looks good with just about any wax. I particularly like Meguiar`s #16, but nothing has ever looked "bad."

What part of Indiana are you from?

crockey
05-14-2012, 09:50 PM
I`ve always liked an early 911 in GP white.

Here`s mine:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN07432.jpg

Honestly, as long as the paint is flat (zero orange peel), the white looks good with just about any wax. I particularly like Meguiar`s #16, but nothing has ever looked "bad."

What part of Indiana are you from?

Kokomo, about 45min north of Indy.

Love your car. White rims really sets it off. These early 911s are fun cars to drive!

crockey
05-14-2012, 09:51 PM
First thing I`d do is work on the washing technique to minimize or eliminate swirling. Otherwise you`ll be chasing swirls until the end of time.

You will need something stronger than anything Werkstat has available to remove the swirls, but then you can use Prime and AJT to finish the car off. 2 coats of AJT to ensure full coverage is fine. I wouldn`t worry about topping, I think you will find that AJT looks really good on its own. If you are still set on using a carnauba, then follow Prime with the wax and then use the wax as often as needed. Putting down a sealant then topping with a wax is more work IMO than its worth. Just find the LSP you like and use it often. Keep it simple. More time to drive your 911.

What would you recommend for the swirls? (Lake County pad and what product for a RA)

Scottwax
05-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I use mostly Optimum Hyper Polish and Hyper Compound and Meguiars D300, #105 and #205. Either line should work fine.