PDA

View Full Version : Oil Soaked Into Carpet

Charlie555
05-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Already tried auto carpet shampoo, dish detergent, and Purple Power. Still coming away with oil on hands when touched. Not sure what kind of oil it is; the stain was left by the previous owner.

Any tricks for this? Thanks very much in advance!

Ron Ketcham
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Charlie, do you have a sample of New Car Prep from ValuGard?

If you do, soak that area with it and agitate with a good stiff bristle brush, let set for 10 minutes, reagitate.

Spray the area with your all purpose, agitate with a brush, then use your extractor.

If you don`t have an extractor the wet/dry vac will suck up most.

The flush with just water, agitate and vac or extract it.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND that you use any "grease/tar remover" that has xylene or other "clorinated" solvents in it as it could "melt" the fiber.

The New Car Prep is safe on fabrics as it does not contain any such damaging solvents in it`s formula.

AI also makes this product for Ford MotorCraft, they call it by another name, don`t recall what that is.

You have to break down the hydrocarbons in that oil, and it`s going to take a safe solvent to do so, then get the residue and the New Car Prep out of the fibers, which is not difficult.

Grumpy

Dan
05-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Another approach I`ve had good luck with frequently is WD40. The WD40 dissolves and suspends the oil in a more easily managed mess. The WD40 mixture then comes out with a good degreaser.

Lonnie
05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
An alternative to WD-40 is Spot Shot (made by WD-40 Company) that is designed for carpet stains (including motor oil). It does not contain the fish oil that is found in regular WD-40. It`s about $4.00 a can at Wal-Mart. I use a tooth brush to work it in, let it dwell on the stain, and then wipe it with an absorbent micro-fiber cloth or quality cotton towel. (The cheaper cottons tend to lint more when you try to rub and pick up (extract) the broken-down oil stain and you`ll end up vacuuming the carpet.)

The best method to get out oil stains, though, is pre-treat the stain area and then use steam to break it down and extract what`s left. (Yes, there are all-in-one steamer/extractors, but they are expensive for the do-it-yourselfer or weekend detailer)

AnotherCanuck
05-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey, saw this and figured I`d register to chime in with a suggestion...

Have you tried using Lestoil? It`s great at removing grease and oil stains from clothing, it would probably work just as well on the carpet.

Just use a small amount on the area, let it sit for a few minutes and then rub it with a towel. Then rinse with water and vac dry or extract.

JohnAndrew
05-11-2012, 02:33 AM
The Spot Shot should do it for you using a steam cleaner with it might help as well?

imported_WhyteWizard
05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
There`s a company called "National Colloid" that sells a product called Super "C" It breaks down oil and isn`t a solvent type cleaner. Give them a call at 17142411600. Tell them I sent you.

Generally this is a really good product for grease and oil, particularly on engines and motorcycles where it doesn`t turn plastic white or attack the soft metals. Also, diluted to 30 to one or so it`s very good on interiors. It cleans modern leather without softening the coating. It breaks down oil but that`s about all, no bad side effects.

Ask them for the dilution ratio for your problem and just buy it. If you don`t like it, PM me and I`ll give you your money back - original poster only of course. The rest of you will try and like it, but you`re on your own. ;o)

Robert

Dan
05-11-2012, 09:16 AM
An alternative to WD-40 is Spot Shot (made by WD-40 Company) that is designed for carpet stains (including motor oil). It does not contain the fish oil that is found in regular WD-40. It`s about $4.00 a can at Wal-Mart. I use a tooth brush to work it in, let it dwell on the stain, and then wipe it with an absorbent micro-fiber cloth or quality cotton towel. (The cheaper cottons tend to lint more when you try to rub and pick up (extract) the broken-down oil stain and you`ll end up vacuuming the carpet.)

Lonnie, I think the fish oil is key in suspending the motor oil. Then any regular APC is strong enough to get the fish oil out. I used to love to tinker with stuff as a kid, and it was always in my good school clothes. I`d get grease on them and my parents would be PISSED. One day I ended up try WD40 for some reason and then cleaning that up with Gojo. Ever since then I`ve used that combo with great success. Even getting tar out of cloth.