PDA

View Full Version : Starting detailing business

Kylegc
05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Over the summer a friend and I would like to start a small car detailing business to make a little money. We are 17. We don`t want to be a full "auto detailing" business but more of wash car and do liquid wax and clean wheels very well. I was just looking for some tips on how to start this business. Do we need insurance etc.

Thanks for posting

Tell me if this is a terrible idea!

imported_truzoom
05-06-2012, 08:36 PM
There`s a lot to be considered here. How serious are you aiming with this business? It sounds like you are mostly interesting in offering a wash and wax type service.

Do you intend on marketing blindly or are you going to work through family and friend referrals?

The above questions will determine if you need to formalize, get a tax certificate, register a name, and think about getting insurance.

If you and a friend just need some spending cash, it sounds like you`d be better off working through family and friends. Figure out a price you can charge that won`t shock anyone but still makes it worth your while. Use your smartphone or a digital camera to snap lots of pictures to compile a portfolio of your work. Work you way up from there if you intend on getting more serious down the line.

Kylegc
05-06-2012, 08:41 PM
What is the best liquid wax and what is the best wheel cleaner? I think I like the talk friends and tell them to refer others. Charge 20-30 depending on the car

CosminTX
05-06-2012, 08:59 PM
What is the best liquid wax and what is the best wheel cleaner?

that`s not related to starting a business ...

i hope you do some homeworks before you put time , energy and money into it.

imported_truzoom
05-06-2012, 09:00 PM
I think you`ll find that "best" is very subjective, particularly among us detailing veterans here.

And it depends on the situation. I personally have some reservations about waxing paint that has only been washed and not clay bar`d or polished, so in that case I`d stick to a cleaner wax that is easy to apply and remove in sunlight. I assume you will mostly be working out of peoples` driveways, which means you may not have the advantage of shade in a garage or shop. The best cleaner wax I`ve used is Mother`s California Gold, but it is not tolerant of hot surfaces and stains plastic trim to the extreme degree. I think I`m having a hard time remembering when I last waxed paint that had not been properly prepared.. it almost feels like it isn`t worthwhile for the level of work I do and expect of myself.

As for wheel cleaners, there is no single product that will fulfill all needs. You could run into everything from factory new wheels to ones that are severely caked in brake dust and tar. Then you have wheel makes ranging from steel to chrome to clearcoated to aluminum. There will be cases when you need the extra cut of a chemical cleaner like Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener, or in some cases a light spray of diluted APC will work.

Can you let us know what your experience level is so far with detailing? We`re a good community here that will help you out along the way, but you may have jumped into the deep end head first...

:spot