PDA

View Full Version : OPT experts , have a few questions.

Fallz
05-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I have not been a big OPT fan in the past but have bought a boatload of new stuff from them and working my way through. I`m just gonna talk about personal vehicles . Toyota metallic silver CC , GM CC black .

1. On My black GM I used PS followed by OS and have been OCW frequently. From a durability stand point would I be better off using GPS instead of PS as a base ? If yes would I still have to go over it with PS , it seems the cleaning of PS would defeat the purpose of the GPS , correct ??

2. Application of OS.... I am having a problem spreading this with a sponge applicator and have been using the spray and wipe method with a small microfiber towel. It seems when I use the furnished applicator I can`t spread it evenly to where the MF towel I can spread and work into the paint . I do not use a lot of product either way.

3. I am also having a little browning issue when using Tire shine after it rains , even after I clean the tires and apply. Maybe Im using to much , so right now I have been playing with the TS , but using Megs #40 .

OPTI-Clean just rocks as a spray and wipe , I am finding i don`t even want to use the OID when finished.

Well thats all I can think of now...lol

Thank you for you help/input.

Mike

wascallyrabbit
05-06-2012, 10:00 PM
not going to be really helpful but i`ve not had good luck with the ps and have not used the gps yet.

as for the os it work pretty well for me. as for the application i don`t think it matters to much as to how you actually apply it as long as your getting full coverage. i use the os on my dd and apply it with a foam applicator and don`t really worry to much about the evenness of the os.

haven`t used the tire shine.

opti clean is pretty nice product for wipe downs after driving when you need something with more cleaning power than oid. oid is still one of my favorite detail sprays.

Scottwax
05-07-2012, 12:38 AM
GPS is definitely a step above PS, more cut, more depth and holds up better.

With Opti-Seal, whatever method works best for you, stick with it.

I use Armor All so can`t answer that question.

I like Opti-Clean too, but I can wash so fast with ONR and with the new version being slicker and glossier, not to mention cars get easier to wash with each use, I keep Opt-Clean for my road bike.

Fallz
05-07-2012, 01:14 PM

With Opti-Seal, whatever method works best for you, stick with it.

I use Armor All so can`t answer that question.

I like Opti-Clean too, but I can wash so fast with ONR and with the new version being slicker and glossier, not to mention cars get easier to wash with each use, I keep Opt-Clean for my road bike.

Thank you~

I agree about washing using the ONR , I also have new version but have not tapped into it yet . I"ve been doing a lot of playing with OPT stuff lately on having fun and good results with it. I give the new GPS a shot . I did test a little portion of my hood last night by hand and was pretty impressed.

Fallz
05-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Is the GPS like a new version or going to take the place of PS ? Also does you comment mean that the GPS has abrasives in it ? Does PS have abrasives in it ?

Thanks

Mike

Scottwax
05-19-2012, 05:01 PM
I don`t know if GPS will replace Poli-Seal. GPS is more abrasive than Poli-Seal but less abrasive than Optimum Hyper Polish. Both GPS and PS have a rich carnauba-like appearance.

Fallz
05-19-2012, 05:18 PM
So do you think on black I would be better off staying with PS to prevent micro marring ?

imported_Bence
05-19-2012, 08:42 PM
I think all 3 should give a safe, marring-free finish (except for very soft paints).

Fallz
05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
The word "abrasive" is whats scaring me . I do not like to use abrasive products unless it needs it and my truck does not since its a 2012 and has been prepped by me instead of the dealer.

Thomas Dekany
05-24-2012, 02:37 PM
If you use them with a fine pad you are really just "glazing" the paint. No need to be scared of that. You wash your face several times a day don`t you? :)

You can be gentle or very aggressive. Makes sense?

The word "abrasive" is whats scaring me . I do not like to use abrasive products unless it needs it and my truck does not since its a 2012 and has been prepped by me instead of the dealer.

Scottwax
05-24-2012, 08:08 PM

The abrasives are very fine in either. If you want the most gentle combo, then Poli-Seal with a finishing pad will work fine.

Shawn F.
05-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Most of your questions have been answered but I will throw my 2 cents in there... GPS is not like Poli-Seal, it`s a whole new formula and IMO much better than PS. I will not buy PS again and stick to GPS when I need something for light polish and protection. PS protection is not great because it does not last long at all. As for abrasive, the GPS is abrasive depending on the pad you use. It will take down very light swirls or if you use a finishing pad it will just glaze the paint so no worries about cutting anything with it if you do not want to.

For Opti-Seal, you may be using too much pressure with the foam applicator. Little to no pressure is needed here and most do not know this as a first time user. I know when I first ever tried it I was pushing down on it like I would do with a paste wax. NO pressure, just use your hand weight or less to glide and coat the surface (I like to use circular motions and 50% overlap).

As for the tire shine, I am not sure why you are getting browning. Truthfully I use their Opti-Bond tire gel. A little goes a LONG ways and can be diluted 1:1 with water. 1 coat provides a nice black, 2 coats more glossy and 3 coats very glossy.

Hopefully I helped add some info here and helped clear some questions up...

Accumulator
05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
The word "abrasive" is whats scaring me ..

The mere presence of "abrasives" won`t make a product *functionally* abrasive in every case. Often they just make it more user-friendly(primarily in the sense of easier wipe-off) and don`t really abrade paint in a meaningful way. Unless you`re dealing with stupid-soft paint, it can truly be a non-issue. On a typical GM, I sure wouldn`t worry about it.

Fallz
05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
OK sounds like a plan , off i go :)

Thank you all.