PDA

View Full Version : Durable LSP for applying in sun?

Pages : [1] 2

cjv998
05-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi everyone. I`m looking for a durable LSP for my car, which sits outside 24/7 in the desert - I`d love to get 4-5 months out of an LSP, if that isn`t unreasonable given our constantly high UV ratings. (Lately I`ve felt like keeping the car detailed is a losing battle; I wash it one afternoon, and the next morning it`s covered in dust.) I don`t have any shade I can detail the car in, so I need a product that can handle being applied to a warm car in the sun. (I have Clearkote Carnauba Moose, and I really like the way it looks, but I only get 1-2 months out of it, at best. Plus it can be a little streaky, which is understandable given my application in the sun.) I`d also like something that can be applied via PC. I`d like to keep it under $30 as well. I`ve done a bit of reading, and here`s what I`m currently considering:

FK 1000p or 2180

Blackfire Wet Diamond

HD Poxy

Poorboy`s EX or EX-P

Duragloss 105 (I could actually get this locally!)

CG Micro-seal (may be able to find this locally)

Collinite 845 or 476 (not sure if these do well in full sun, since they`re carnauba-based)

Meg`s 21 (may be able to find this locally)

Klasse SG

For the record, the car is an `01 Miata SE, British Racing Green. (A traditional, non-metallic dark BRG.) So I`d like a product that looks good on dark paint. Any thoughts?

To summarize, here`s what I want:

durable LSP (wax or sealant, as long as the sealant looks good)

prefer a liquid or thin paste (easier to apply with PC)

can be applied in sun

looks good on dark paint

under $30

David Fermani
05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
ZAINO !!!

I`ve had excellent results applying Zaino Z2/Z5 in the hot Florida.

Dan
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
^^^^ Zaino Zealot alert!!!! :yield:

If I was in your position, I`d just Opti-coat. I haven`t found anything I really like in full Sun, and that includes everything in your list except for the CG and Poorboys stuff.

David Fermani
05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
^^^^ Zaino Zealot alert!!!! :yield:

Absofrigginlutely. :banplease:

imported_01GreyStangGT
05-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Poorboys Polish with Sealant. I got 3 months out of that one winter and it looked great on metallic red.

Scottwax
05-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Clearkote`s Carnauba Moose is easy on and off in the sun and it will darken the paint. Optimum Opti-Seal is sun friendly too. Both have decent durability. HD Poxy is fine on the sun on lighter colored vehicles, haven`t tried it on a dark one yet.

cjv998
05-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the replies so far! I need to do more reading on here and narrow down my list of options.

Clearkote`s Carnauba Moose is easy on and off in the sun and it will darken the paint.

Actually, that`s what I have now, and I only get 1-2 months out of it, so I`m looking for something with significantly more durability - I do really like how it looks though. (I think I mentioned that somewhere buried in my original post, but I could be wrong.)

Dan
05-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the replies so far! I need to do more reading on here and narrow down my list of options.

Actually, that`s what I have now, and I only get 1-2 months out of it, so I`m looking for something with significantly more durability - I do really like how it looks though. (I think I mentioned that somewhere buried in my original post, but I could be wrong.)

Perhaps look into a different wash solution and/or use a booster. Optimum Car Wax and Meg`s Ultimate quick wax are both great.

Richard Grasa
05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Ardex Miami Shine. They call it Miami Shine because it`s supposedly specifically designed to go on in direct Miami sun and heat and it`s supposed to be as durable as 845. I bought a gallon and I love it, it`s my new favorite wax (for the moment). I did test in the sun and it`s awesome. Have not had a chance to test durability yet since I just started using it. If you have an Ardex store in your area, you can get some free samples.

Jesstzn
05-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I use Megs #21 in full sun all the time. Same with Duragloss #105.

dschribs
05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Ardex Miami Shine. They call it Miami Shine because it`s supposedly specifically designed to go on in direct Miami sun and heat and it`s supposed to be as durable as 845. I bought a gallon and I love it, it`s my new favorite wax (for the moment). I did test in the sun and it`s awesome. Have not had a chance to test durability yet since I just started using it. If you have an Ardex store in your area, you can get some free samples.

Rich

I was at an Ardex distributor a while back (actually looking for 845 which he used to carry) and was told Miami Shine is the new go to wax from Adrex. It might be the perfect choice for the OP since it`s actually marketed as a "full sun" type of wax. I used some on my buddies black Lincoln Aviator (not in the sun) and was very impressed with the wet look it left behind. I`ll need to check in with him in terms of durability because the car sits outside 24/7.

I still need to get down to your shop and pay you a visit one of these days. FYI - Car show season is starting up soon on the Pike. It might pay to make a visit to a few cruise nights with some business cards...

cjv998
05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I`m using Meguiar`s GC car wash soap, so I don`t think that`s impacting my durability of the LSP (I could be wrong though).

At this point, I think I`m just going to pick up a bottle of Megs 21, since I should be able to find it at one of the auto parts stores in town (I was really wanting to take care of the detailing this weekend). Sounds like I should expect 3-4 months from it, which is far better than what I`m getting with the CMW. Seems to be a reliable, easy to use product.

How does the Megs 21 compare to the DG 105? (Couldn`t find anything in a search.) I ask, because those are two things I`ll be able to find locally.

pwaug
05-03-2012, 02:05 PM
How does the Megs 21 compare to the DG 105? (Couldn`t find anything in a search.) I ask, because those are two things I`ll be able to find locally.

I can`t compare it with Megs 21, but DG 105 is a great reasonably priced sealant. I mix it 4 to 1 with DG 601 and easily get 6 months out of it with just occasional applications of Aquawax, but recently topped it with POXY and am very impressed with the look and how it sheds dirt.

Scottwax
05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I`m using Meguiar`s GC car wash soap, so I don`t think that`s impacting my durability of the LSP (I could be wrong though).

I`ve heard others say that GC does affect durability.

One of the great things about using ONR is the slickness and gloss just never go away regardless of what LSP you use. Plus its easier to wash in the sun with ONR than conventional car wash soap since water spots become a thing of the past.

Richard Grasa
05-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Rich

I was at an Ardex distributor a while back (actually looking for 845 which he used to carry) and was told Miami Shine is the new go to wax from Adrex. It might be the perfect choice for the OP since it`s actually marketed as a "full sun" type of wax. I used some on my buddies black Lincoln Aviator (not in the sun) and was very impressed with the wet look it left behind. I`ll need to check in with him in terms of durability because the car sits outside 24/7.

I still need to get down to your shop and pay you a visit one of these days. FYI - Car show season is starting up soon on the Pike. It might pay to make a visit to a few cruise nights with some business cards...

It does have a wet look and very slick. Yeah definitely let me know how your buddy`s is holding up.

I`m actually looking into having a rolling advertisement for those car shows and cruise nights.