PDA

View Full Version : ONR to remove stubborn sealant residue?

TGates
04-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Yesterday I found some time to clay the Regal and try out my new Duragloss products. It had been a long time since I`d used anything other than Optimum Car Wax, so I was a little out of sync (and lazy) so I put the 601 and 105 on a little thick. I waited a few hours, but they were just not going to set up and be easy to remove. Detail spray was not helping much. It was going to take a couple of hours and a lot of elbow grease to get the residue off. I looked over and saw my bottle of ONR and decided to give it a try for removing the residue. I mixed up a bucket and washed the car like normal, except I made sure to wring the mitt out more than normal since all I was really needing was a little bit of the solution on the paint. It worked like a charm.

Has anyone ever done this? Any ill effects on durability?

TGates
04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
*crickets*

umi000
05-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Does Duragloss recommend a curing time, wherein the car is not supposed to get wet (like most sealants)? If they do, then I guess it could affect durability, as my understanding is that water inhibits the cross-linking of the polymers in most sealants.

David Fermani
05-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I`d bet it wasn`t the ONR that did the trick, but the use of water that settled the oils down. I doubt it affected anything either. Especially after it had a chance to crosslink for a couple hours.

TGates
05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I`d bet it wasn`t the ONR that did the trick, but the use of water that settled the oils down. I doubt it affected anything either. Especially after it had a chance to crosslink for a couple hours.

I guess I need to keep a spray bottle of distilled water around! Or quit being lazy and apply it the right way...

TGates
05-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, I figured out what I did wrong the first go around where I needed an ONR bath to remove the residue. I didn`t realize you had to wait for the 601 bonding agent to dry BEFORE putting the sealant on top. The Duragloss instructions are a little weak. I had to polish a door, and then I reapplied the 601 and 105 with the appropriate curing time given to the 601. It worked much better.

Told you I was out of the loop *facepalm*