PDA

View Full Version : Megs MF pad and backing plate destroyed

imported_RZJZA80
04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
I THINK I read a while back where a few had issues with the MF cutting pads coming apart. However, last night, after about 15 minutes of polishing, my Megs backing plate heated up so much that it melted, causing the back of the MF pad to heat up and melt, and they both melted together. I had to literally cut the pad off bit by bit to get it all off of the backing plate. I contacted the company where I bought them, so hopefully they will return/replace it. What worries me is that just yesterday, I ordered two more packs of the pads.

It`s a shame too, because when they work, they work well.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/gracer69/IMAG0241.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/gracer69/IMAG0244.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/gracer69/IMAG0242.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/gracer69/IMAG0243.jpg

imported_WhyteWizard
04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
You better check your machine. From the way the pad melted in the middle it looks to me like your machine over heated and cooked the pad from that side.

Robert

imported_RZJZA80
04-26-2012, 11:03 AM
I checked the machine right after it happened, and it was barely warm. I had only been using it for maybe 15 minutes at that point. The backing plate, however, was very, very hot to the touch. I switched to my LC backing plate and it didn`t even get warm, so I don`t think it`s the machine itself. I was using one of my Griots 6" at the time.

imported_WhyteWizard
04-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Were you using the same pads and products? If so, did you get the same heating up? if not, then, it still might be the machine. Next time you run that machine check the heat at the bolt that mounts the plate.

I`m not saying one way or the other, but I`ve had that happen to me and the interior of the machine transferred a lot of heat to the pad, even though the machine itself didn`t feel all that warm.

Robert

imported_RZJZA80
04-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Were you using the same pads and products? If so, did you get the same heating up? if not, then, it still might be the machine. Next time you run that machine check the heat at the bolt that mounts the plate.

I`m not saying one way or the other, but I`ve had that happen to me and the interior of the machine transferred a lot of heat to the pad, even though the machine itself didn`t feel all that warm.

Robert

Well I used the same machine, same speed, same D300 after it all happened, and after every panel I removed the pad and checked the backing plate, and it was barely warm. I`m hoping it was an isolated QC thing because the MF system really worked wonders when it all was working correctly. I`ll check again as I have a bit more to polish tonight.

Of course at that point I switched to the LC backing plate

imported_Quenga
04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
I don`t have the MF pads, but I have the same issue with Meguiars spot pads. I bought the 3-4" pads for my headlight restorations and almost all of them came apart at the backing plate. After the first use! I think it`s a problem with Meguiars pads period. I still got my LC pads that I`ve had since I started detailing (haven`t done that many) and they have been trashed, soaked in APC and thrown in the washer and even dryer...they are still in 1 piece.

Needless to say, I won`t buy Meguiars pads anymore. They`re not cheap, but they also don`t last very long...at least the ones I got.

nonwelder
04-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Dont know...I used two of the 5 inch MF pads last night on my GG6. LC backing plate. I pushed the pads hard, used speed 3.5, and did not have an issue at all.

Guess it all depends, but I did not have issues. I know some have, though

togwt
04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Perhaps something like this would help to disipate the heat buid-up?

Makita 6” Rubber Hook & Loop Backing Plate- this plate has 14 vent holes in the rubber and 8 more in the plastic plate. (The holes are strategically placed so the plate will still grip the foam pad well.) All these holes provide ample venting to reduce heat build-up underneath the pad

Griot’s used to make something similar but I can’t find it on their website

Maybe lessen the pressure used as this will reduce the friction heat transfer to the pad surface

SpoolinNoMore
04-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Was the paint surface hot from pulling it inside from direct sunlight or was it a hood on an engine that was still warm?

imported_RZJZA80
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Was the paint surface hot from pulling it inside from direct sunlight or was it a hood on an engine that was still warm?

Not at all. Car was inside the shop for over 24 hours before I began working on it. Even after polishing, the paint wasn`t even warm. At this point, I think it`s the backing plate that`s at fault here. It`s possible that the GG6" over heated, but it didn`t with the LC backing plate, so I`m at a loss. I didn`t put too much pressure either. Only reason I used the Meg`s plate is because it came with the kit. Using the LC plate, I have NO issues.

imported_RZJZA80
04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Perhaps something like this would help to disipate the heat buid-up?

Makita 6” Rubber Hook & Loop Backing Plate- this plate has 14 vent holes in the rubber and 8 more in the plastic plate. (The holes are strategically placed so the plate will still grip the foam pad well.) All these holes provide ample venting to reduce heat build-up underneath the pad

Griot’s used to make something similar but I can’t find it on their website

Maybe lessen the pressure used as this will reduce the friction heat transfer to the pad surface

Thanks, I didn`t know Makita made anything like that. Only thing is 6" is too big for the 5.5" pads I normally use. I`ll research into other options, as I think everyone here good use some added cooling to the backing plates.

smokinfastlegen
04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
What paint were you using this on? Judging by the pictures it was a single stage?

Softer paint in a single stage + lots of pressure + stickier compound such as d300 + higher speed will heat the center of the pad.

imported_RZJZA80
04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
What paint were you using this on? Judging by the pictures it was a single stage?

Softer paint in a single stage + lots of pressure + stickier compound such as d300 + higher speed will heat the center of the pad.

No it wasn`t single stage. I used medium to light pressure, and the appropriate speed. Once I switched to the LC backing plate, everything was fine.