PDA

View Full Version : Cure time on factory paint

Ryoken0367
04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I did some searches and found information on cure time of re-painted work, and a little bit on factory paint. The only thing I didn`t really see was if it`s safe to wax/seal factory cured paint right away, or if I should wait a bit (30 days, or more). All information I`ve seen on this goes by the assumption that you will be buying a car that has sat on the lot for at least a week, if not longer. In my case, I ordered the car, so I will be picking it up the day it hits the lot, which should be ~2 weeks after it was "born." Is it safe to wax it the day I get it home (with the paint being maybe 20 days old), or should I wait a couple of weeks, and find a paint safe glaze in the mean-time?

If the consensus is to wait, I`ve seen mention of a couple paint safe glazes in other threads, but I`m not sure I can pick any of them up locally. I have a Wal-Mart, O`Reilly`s and Napa close by. The car should be here this week, so I don`t have time to order if I want to start protecting it right away (and I do!). I have some longer term items on order that should be here next week, that I plan to use ASAP, and a few things on hand (NXT 2.0, UQW and Meg`s GC Carnuba+ Paste) that I can do until the other stuff comes in. If I can throw one those on it temporarily, which would be the easiest to remove with wash/IPA/DJ Lime Prime Lite when I`m ready to put FK1000P on?

Thanks in advance!

cptzippy
04-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Factory paint should be good to go. Factory paints use processes much different than your local body shop and bake at higher temps (IIRC). You can also order and get stuff in time. Usually doesn`t take but 3-4 days to get things from most of the detail shops.

Ron Ketcham
04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
That`s correct, the "chemistry" of OEM paint is much different than "refinish" materials.

OEM can be sealed as soon as one gets the vehicle.

Plus, if still concerned, look at the door jam sticker and it will tell you the month and year the car was assembled (painted), most vehicles are anywhere from as little as 2 weeks to 6 months old when a person takes delivery.

Refinish material cure time can vary, dependant upon what material the bodyshop used, what kind of booth they use, things like that.

However, most name brand refinish materials are safe to seal up in as little as one week to one month.

The new "water borne`s" are a much faster cure than older types, due to the catalist and overall chemistry of the materials..

Grumpy

Ryoken0367
04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am having the dealership remove the shipping plastics so they can look for any damage. However I have instructed them to *not* wash the car. I`ve been looking around this area for adhesive removers I saw mentioned in other threads, but was not able to find any. I have a can of Stoner Tarminator on hand, do you think that would work to remove any adhesive residue left from the shipping plastics?