PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Finishing Polish really this gentle?

GeeReg
04-14-2012, 03:41 PM
I`m working on my 08 Black Jetta using my PC and was using Meg`s MF cutting disc and M300 for a first step and Meg`s Ultimate Polish to clean up the hazing left over. I was running out of UP so I was looking for something that I could also use on our Highlander which needs no correction before doing Opti-Coat. I wanted something that would clean up any faint spiderwebs I may not see, but like I said, it really needs no correction to speak of. So I picked up Optimum Finish Polish and some 5.5" black pads.

So, I used OFP on a 5.5" white pad on the Jetta and did a section of the door that was compounded with the MF cutting disc and M300. Needless to say, I heard the hazing actually laugh at me when I tried this. It was like I was polishing with baby tears.

Now before I hear "Well, it is a finishing polish", yes I know. I just figured it would do something. I didn`t think it was going to be that much gentler than Ultimate Polish, which cleans it up in about 2 passes. I made 4-5 with the OFP @ speed 5 and nothing. I understand this could also be because of the hard VW clear but now I`m hesitant to use it on the Toyota, especially with a softer pad. I`m worried I`d be wasting time.

I guess I should try it on an orange pad or just go back to UP which is a known winner for my situation? I wouldn`t really be that upset but now I have a $30 bottle of polish I probably won`t use.

Please note that this isn`t a knock against Optimum or the product at all. I love their stuff but I just didn`t expect this to be so gentle. Does anyone have other experiences with OFP?

imported_WCD
04-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I have some and used it on black. Next thing as you stated would be to take the pad up a notch. It is noted as a final finish and very fine at that. I liken it to a paint enhancer polish vs. any corrective abilities.

Rob

GeeReg
04-18-2012, 06:41 AM
So I tried a little more testing to see what I was dealing with. I did some comparison sections with Optimum Finish Polish on white and orange pads vs. Ultimate Polish on a white. This time I used all 4" pads however and made 6 passes with all of them. OFP on the white pad worked much better at removing the D300/MF hazing and on the orange pad was almost as good as UP on a white.

I wish I had something with softer clear that I could test OFP and pad combinations on so I would know where I stand on the Highlander. I purchased a couple of black pads just for it but I will probably end up using OFP w/ 5.5" white just to be sure I get out any defects I can`t immediately see.

I realize there`s really no question in here, I`m mostly thinking out loud so thanks for reading.

Scottwax
04-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Sometimes pad choice can make a huge difference in how a product works. On harder paints, I use it with a polishing pad, softer paints with a finishing pad. That`s just how detailing goes.