PDA

View Full Version : off the shelf quick detailers

2000firebird
04-12-2012, 12:24 AM
is there anything out there worth getting? or should i stick to the expensive online only stuff. heres an example of what i get to pick from.

my main uses are basically going to be using during the drying stage after washing, or for the rare bird bomb clean up or whatnot.

This will be for my car only which is usually protected already by poorboys EX/ col 845 so i don`t need one of these `wax or added protection` ones just something that fits with what was mentioned above.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/00firebird/IMG_20120411_130402.jpg

Dan
04-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Expensive online stuff isn`t always expensive as it might look. Its hard to beat the value of Optimum instant detailer, yet, it is one of the top 3 constantly mentioned for looks and slickness. If you buy the concentrated version, its cheaper than some of the stuff above.

That said, Megs Ultimate and Lucas Slick Mist are my favorite OTC, detailer only products. Ultimate Quick Wax is another standout product, but you said you don`t need protection.

DM101
04-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Dan is spot on. Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer or Meguiar’s #34 Final Inspection are excellant OTC detailers. They seem to have a little more cleaning ability. Usally what I do is hit the car with the above then hit it with FK425 or Zaino`s Z8.

tom p.
04-12-2012, 08:18 AM
I still regard Meguiar`s #34 as one of the best around (OTC).

2000firebird
04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
If I sprayed down the wet car before drying how many applications could I get maybe 2-3? should I even do this or just stick to drying with a WW?

DM101
04-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Not sure of what your question is..... You want to spray a QD before drying???

If I sprayed down the wet car before drying how many applications could I get maybe 2-3? should I even do this or just stick to drying with a WW?

cptzippy
04-12-2012, 09:11 AM

If you are talking about using QD as a drying aid then it is worth it because it will reduce marring - however, you still need a WW.

Dan
04-12-2012, 09:17 AM

I`d guess I get 8-12 applications per bottle, easily. 2-3 is using WAY too much product. All you need is a fine mist, not a soaking wet panel.

RobD
04-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Of those shown in the photo, I would buy Showtime since I know it works well. I was a bit disappointed in UQD, so personally I wouldn`t buy that again (unless it was half price, maybe). If it`s available OTC near you, I would rate Surf City Garage`s Hot Rod Detailer best. IME, it works similarly to Adam`s Detail Spray (i.e., very well). I`m not saying they`re the same product, but they also look alike. Pep Boys carries SCG. It`s a bit expensive (around $14.99), but it`s worth it. Next time I order from somewhere, I may get a gallon of it.

Dan
04-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Just though of it, Griots Speed Shine, available locally at AA, great stuff.

Accumulator
04-12-2012, 11:09 AM
2000Firebird- As I feared, I just don`t know enough about most OTC QDs to be of any help.

But FWIW...M34 is something I only use to help with buffing off polish/compound residue. After using it as a "normal QD" for years I`ve completely given up on it for that in favor of other products. Yeah, I like it, have gallons on-hand, but for the after-wash QDing it`s a) too hard on "nearly dead anhow" LSPs, and b) doesn`t leave enough "stuff"/effect behind.

With the QDs I use, a "regular size bottle" will last a long time when used as a drying aid. Note the scare-quotes and the vagueness of "long time", but it`s not like you should only get a few washes worth out of it.

Eh, I like my non-OTC stuff. ValuGard`s Final Finish is unusually good on black plastic/trim; FK425 leaves a unique look and crazy slickness but doesn`t always play nice with waxes, including Collinite; for waxes I`m pretty much all about Griot`s SpeedShine.

Oh, and even with a fresh coat of a durable LSP like Collinite (just 845ed the beater-Audi), I always use a leaves-stuff-behind QD. If nothing else, it provides a tiny bit of sacrificial layer on top of the wax, and IMO the more stuff a QD leaves behind, *generally* the more helpful it is with regard to minimizing drying-induced marring.

yourgrandma
04-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Oh how I wish i could remember what it was called but I tried this hot-rod themed purple stuff that smelled like pez and was as slick or slicker than FK425 but was as easy to use as HD final touch. I saw it at NAPA once. Id love to find it again.

I used Megs regular QD for years before I discovered what else was out there. Gt UQD as a gift and I only use it as a drying aid. Doesnt really do anything special for me.

As was said, the OTC stuff really isnt any cheaper, especially when youre paying to keeep the lackies employed at a B&M store. I love buying QD in gallons now.

2000firebird
04-15-2012, 01:05 AM
I got some megs UQD to try out, autozone was by any 2 meguiars get $5 off.