PDA

View Full Version : Tundra swirled badly. Looking for help!!

Ajcoxen
04-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I own a 08 Toyota Tundra,White paint 40,000 miles. Daily driven, sits outside, definetly gets used as a truck.

I don`t mind the few scratches it has as much as I dislike seeing the severe swirls in the paint. Since I`ve owned it I take care when washing, use 2 buckets, plenty of soap, wash top to bottom. All I`ve done is clay bar and wax using Meguirs Nxt wax.

I own a older DA, fairly large pad, maybe 10". I have a new grey foam pad for it.

My plan of attack was

1. Clay bar

2. Griots machine polish 3

3. Duragloss 601/105

4. Collinite 845

How`s the Griots machine polish 3 sound? I don`t want to damage it worse than it is, but I also want the swirls gone. I can get pics tonight hopefully.

Dan
04-11-2012, 09:27 AM
By older DA, what brand. If its a 10" store bough wax machine, you aren`t going to amke much headway, especially with Machine Polish 3. That big of a truck with that little power is going to be an exercise in futility. If you are hard headed and go with that plan, make sure you do a test spot followed by an IPA wipedown before you attempt the whole truck.

imported_ww2717
04-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I believe that you are going to need a polishing more aggressive than machine polish 3. However machine polish 3 might do the trick. DO a test spot and see how it comes out. Then report back.

imported_MCA
04-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I agree with Dan. You will not get much correctional ability from the 10" wax machine that you have. These machines typically do not have the power or high enough orbits per second to do any type of meaningful correction...it`s quite possible that you may actually instill more marring if used with certain polishes. The type of foam pad also plays a huge part on swirl removal. This is not always the case, but grey foam pads are *generally* used for wax application and have little-to-zero correctional ability on their own.

Something to also keep in mind - white Toyota vehicles are typically single-stage paint (no clear coat). You are going to need a lot of pads because they will get clogged with paint...especially if the surface is heavily oxidized. I would recommend going to any local store and picking up Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound and a few cheap MF towels. Pick an indiscreet test spot and hand polish using the compound and MF towel(s). You`ll then have a good idea of what the results can be and how much manual effort it will take. If the results are inadequate then you will probably have to step up to a GG6, 110v2, PCXP or equivalent DA

Accumulator
04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Ajcoxen- Welcome to Autopia!

Unless you use it with a quite aggressive machine, the Griot`s MP3 won`t cut it. Even *with* an aggressive machine I`d probably reach for their MP2 or even MP1 (not that I`d really want to use a Griot`s polish :grinno: ).

Once you get the current marring sorted out, you might oughta rethink the wash regimen. Sounds like it`s getting awfully marred up.

Ajcoxen
04-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Ya it`s prolly a 10" wax machine actually. I`m positive it`s a single stage paint. I just did some reading and people have a lot of oxidation trouble with these white tundra`s. My roof is not smooth at all. So maybe try the Meguiars Ultimate Compound by hand for starters? Is single stage paint as vulnerable to thinning as a clear coated finish?

Dan
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
If oxidation is your main concern, grab some Duragloss 501 or ColorX (or KAIO or ZAIO if you want to order) and use the wax machine, it will get you ok results. It won`t level out swirls, but it will certainly clean up the paint. The above products do a heck of a job on oxidation and will work (just barely) on that atrocity of a machine.

Ajcoxen
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I have a Harbour Freight rotary polisher I could use? So what about Meguars Ultimate Compound then is a duragloss polish good to finish with? Then even 845 on top of that?

I just need to buy foam pads for the polisher if I even can...

Dan
04-11-2012, 01:46 PM
You`ll probably need a new backing plate for the HF rotary and a good selection of pads. Sounds like you are new to this, the rotary isn`t something you should experiment with on a car you like. Like I said, take the gentle approach first, then see how you like it.