PDA

View Full Version : How to clean smoke soot from headliner?

Richard Grasa
04-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Acura TSX that was in the garage with the windows down during a house fire and got smoke soot all over the interior. The owner was able to clean most of it up, but there is still alot all over the headliner. What would be the best way to clean it without damaging the headliner? I`m thinking I should pull the headliner out but would rather not if not necessary.

Roger Koh
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Acura TSX that was in the garage with the windows down during a house fire and got smoke soot all over the interior. The owner was able to clean most of it up, but there is still alot all over the headliner. What would be the best way to clean it without damaging the headliner? I`m thinking I should pull the headliner out but would rather not if not necessary.

Pictures definitely help to assess the severity of the smoke damage.

The soot and the smoke from different incomplete combustion material may look and smell distinctly different from one another.

The degree of removal difficulties will depends on source of the fire.

Soot would require a soot eraser to remove it more effectively when dry prior to wet clean it.

Most soot are sticky in nature with very small micron that they become lodge in tiny crevices – that will require a cleaner with the strongest strength to penetrate, lubricate and suspense them.

This is further synergized with the help of a leather-safe smoke and soot booster.

Dwelling time is a factor to reduce unnecessary physical agitation that may cause distortion to the material in question.

Thereafter the sticky residue is removed by a leather-safe cleaner follows by rinse.

Although I describe about leather, most unlikely the headliner is; it still depends on the wet cleanability of the headliner in question.

A leather-safe system is still safe for most material other than rayon and silk.

When appearance is acceptable, there may be the smell that is not tolerable – the solution is to apply with a non-stick, rub-resistant leather-scented protection better than any other smell of lemon, cherry or apple.

My above problem solving solution may not apply to the headliner until verified from pictures!

In such situation, there is no time for experimentation - rather have to do it - the first time right - both appearance and odor!

Roger Koh

Master Fire & Smoke Restorer - IICRC #942

info@leatherdoctor.com