PDA

View Full Version : I need help removing butter and cooking oil from an interior

audicoupej
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I had a client text me this picture recently. He lives an hour+ away so I cannot attempt to fix this until Saturday. He had a doggie bag of Italian food spill in his 2009 MB S550. I will scrape up the butter but I am not sure how best to remove the oil. Ideas? It`s on the leather a bit and in the doorjamb area.

I was thinking Folex, after letting baking soda sit for 30mins or so and vacuuming that up.

I have: Megs D103+, Super Clean APC, Folex, Woolite HE, Dawn, steam cleaner and can pick up something OTC.

EDIT: See post #8 for how I removed it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Audicoupej/Buttertrim.jpg

Roger Koh
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
He had a doggie bag of Italian food spill in his 2009 MB S550. I will scrape up the butter but I am not sure how best to remove the oil. Ideas? It`s on the leather a bit and in the doorjamb area.

I was thinking Folex, after letting baking soda sit for 30mins or so and vacuuming that up.

I have: Megs D103+, Super Clean APC, Folex, Woolite HE, Dawn, steam cleaner and can pick up something OTC.

Does is matter what we use as long as the stain is out.

The answer is, not sure!

But watch out for side-effects, as some damages may not be reversible, that’s scary!

Can we confidently be assured that what we used is definitely without?

1] A trace or shadow of the stain;

2] Distortion or piling to the fabric;

3] Sagging to the foam;

4] Stiffness to the stitching and perforated holes.

It is always risky to use:

1] Alkaline Products

2] Solvent Based Products

3] Excessive Heat.

Looking for a leather-safe degreaser kit may help!

Roger Koh

Master Textile Cleaner IICRC #942

info@leatherdoctor.com

audicoupej
04-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Thank you Roger. I replied to your PM as well.

imported_Automania
04-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Thank you Roger. I replied to your PM as well.

Before you touch the stain would suggest

If you are able to remove the seat cover you should do so because you can manipulate the fabric and get behind the backing. You need to be gentle with the fabric as the weave of the fabric will show any aggressive cleaning done to it...

Place plain brown wrapping paper front and back of the seat fabric and weigh down down changing paper frequently as the oil will transfer to the paper. You can also use an iron and press the paper and the heat will transfer oil to the paper changing the area of the paper frequently making sure you do not burn the fabric.

after you have removed enough oil... sprinkle cornstarch front and back to still bind the oil to the cornstarch doing so more than once ..gently vacuum or blow thoroughly so as not to leave the cornstarch matted down into the fabric.

Afterwards use dawn dish washing liquid full strength directly to the area of the stain and gently work into the butter area with your fingers back and forth like you are washing ... then extract out the area front and back repeating if necessary until you remove the grease...

I really do you hope you charge accordingly...this is not the type of thing you do as a favor or give it away, nor is this detailing... it is called expert stain removal ..

Ron Ketcham
04-04-2012, 08:53 PM
There are several ways to "break down" the oils in the substance that are "in" and "on" the surfaces.

Most require products that have the same abilities of Dawn dish washing soluton, and many safe all purpose cleaners.

Breaking the "oils" down so they can be removed is one thing, but "getting the residue" out of the fabric portion is another.

It is called an "extractor", which will, when warm or hot water is first applied to the areas that were treated with the emulsion breaking solution, will "pull" -IE "extract" the residue from the sub-surface of the fabric.

Grumpy

Roger Koh
04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
The above two considerations can be further be condensed into just 2 simple steps for the fabric.

1] Degrease with a waterbased pH 2.2 leather degreaser; allows effective 10 to 30 minutes dwelling time to emulsify the stain with the help of a cling wrapper.

2] Thereafter, rinse extraction with a wet vacuum cleaner or an upholstery extractor.

3] Inspect, and repeat as necessary.

Does this sound simpler?

The key to success is to use a safe heavy duty degreaser!

And do it right the first time for this project!

Sure, try out all suggestion away from the customer pre or post if you like to determine which system works the best for future jobs.

All system will work to a degree, how clean is clean; too early to tell until we see the after pictures when perfectly dry.

And hopefully you don’t have a phone call, to go back and see the stains wicks up when dry.

Roger Koh

Master Textile Cleaner - IICRC #942

info@leatherdoctor.com

salty
04-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Remove as much as possible, scraping, corn starch, paper etc. Then fabric solvent, extract, then APC or carpet pre-treat, extract. Repeat a few times. Check progress. Then finish with water extract, when happy.

audicoupej
04-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Well, I tackled this today. I think I did ok:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Audicoupej/DSC_0069.jpg

The owner was very happy. I let it dry in the sun and it was very windy out and it doesn`t appear to be coming back. I`d say it`s 95%+ removed.

I ended up using a plastic razor blade to scrape up as much butter from the fabric as I could (and there was a lot). After that I poured baking soda on it and let it sit for about 30 minutes then vacuumed it up and repeated 2 more times (for a total of 3). I worked on the rest of the interior while doing this. Afterwards I used a product I picked up from Home Depot called Maintex All in one Oxy Maintex 32 Oz. All in One Oxy Quart 164332HD at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/cleaning-cleaners-household-cleaners/husky-3-8-in-drive-1-4-in-socket-144734.html) I sprayed liberally and blotted it over and over until the stain began to dissappear. Sometimes I worked it in with my fingers before blotting it up.

Thank you everyone who offered a solution. I appreciate it. :bigups

Roger Koh
04-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Picture looks Good!

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

2005GTPinMD
04-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Wow great job John - reason # 25 why to store doggie bags in the trunk.

audicoupej
04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys. I looked at it the next day (Sunday) and it still looked good so I believe I had good success with my process.