PDA

View Full Version : Using glaze to fill in swirls

Pages : [1] 2

flickshake
04-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi guys,

I am going to use a glaze to fill in some very light swirling I have. Any recommendations on what glaze to use?

Also, will using a glaze remove any of the KSG sealant I just applied 2 days ago?

cptzippy
04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I would recommend some Prima Hydro spray wax rather than a glaze. Most glazes as far as I know do have some abrasive in them so they will at least wear down and probably remove the KSG.

ETA: Hydro does really well muting swirls.

flickshake
04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Can I KSG on top of this Prima Hydro? I want like 4 or 5 layers of KSG... or should I apply all my layers of KSG first and then use the Prima Hydro?

cptzippy
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I would use it on top but I`m not sure I`d invest the time in so much layering of product over those swirls. However, Hydro over it will help.

flickshake
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Is Hydro available in retail locations? Walmart, Autozone, etc? Or only online?

cptzippy
04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Mostly online. Nick (who does Prima) is based in Denver so you can get it locally there.

Accumulator
04-03-2012, 10:46 AM
. Most glazes as far as I know do have some abrasive in them so they will at least wear down and probably remove the KSG...

Might want to rethink that ;) While it`s risky to generalize (on either side of the fence), virtually all the glazes I`ve ever used have been functionally nonabrasive, even on really soft paints like single stage black lacquer.

Note that glazes that contain "clay" are generally not (functionally) abrasive, even though people think clay = abrasive stuff = abrasion of the paint.

While some glazes (e.g., 3M IHG) are mighty high on solvents, whether those solvents will mess up KSG is debatable.

I am going to use a glaze to fill in some very light swirling I have. Any recommendations on what glaze to use?

You might try adding more layers of KSG. While it doesn`t hide stuff for me, it does for Dan and maybe it will for you too.

Also, will using a glaze remove any of the KSG sealant I just applied 2 days ago?

KSG is pretty tough stuff, so I wouldn`t expect that. Though if you only have one coat of KSG on there it might not withstand it.

cptzippy
04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
The `glazes` I`ve been reading about have a wide range of `cleaning` ability ranging from solvent to being an effective polish in some cases. Read a thread not long ago about a person using Dodo Juice Lime Prime for correction and getting pretty significant results using it on a polishing pad. That said, don`t know how much is correction and how much is covering.

DODO JUICE FORUMS • View topic - Lime Prime 50/50 (http://dodojuice.com/juicebar/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2767)

Dan
04-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Yep, tape off a section and see if you can get some filling with several layers of KSG. I was able to hide some lighter swirls (you`d have to be about a foot away to see them).

Accumulator
04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
The `glazes` I`ve been reading about have a wide range of `cleaning` ability ranging from solvent to being an effective polish in some cases. Read a thread not long ago about a person using Dodo Juice Lime Prime for correction..

Ah, I didn`t think of Lime Prime as being a glaze. This might just be a case of semantics, hard to keep all the verious terms/definitions straight. When I think "glazes" I think of the Meguiar`s Pure Polishes, or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze....stuff like that. I was not considering stuff that I consider "paint cleaners", even those which also do the same general "glaze thing" such as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or P21 Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleaner.

Guess there`s a lot of overlap between the different categories of stuff like this :think:

cptzippy
04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Ah, I didn`t think of Lime Prime as being a glaze. This might just be a case of semantics, hard to keep all the verious terms/definitions straight. When I think "glazes" I think of the Meguiar`s Pure Polishes, or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze....stuff like that. I was not considering stuff that I consider "paint cleaners", even those which also do the same general "glaze thing" such as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or P21 Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleaner.

Guess there`s a lot of overlap between the different categories of stuff like this :think:

Agreed, especially for somebody like me that has just a little experience over the last five years of doing this and not doing every day for decades. I`ve seen it used as a glaze and as a cleanser (though I believe DJ markets it primarily as a cleanser). Then there`s something like Prima Amigo that is markets as a light polish - glaze - lsp (IIRC).

Scottwax
04-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Just curious, if the swirls are light, why not remove them and then reapply SG? Seems like in the end, that would be less work.

cptzippy
04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Just curious, if the swirls are light, why not remove them and then reapply SG? Seems like in the end, that would be less work.

Ding, ding. And we have a winner!!!

flickshake
04-04-2012, 10:41 AM

Eventually I want to get to that stage... but with no PC, no experience with removing swirls, using different cutting pads, etc, I want to stick with just "hiding" it for now if I can. Plus the swirling is very light... it`s hard to even really notice except in ideal lighting conditions.

cptzippy
04-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Then I go back to Prima Hydro as a topper. as a bonus, it will extend the life of you lsp.