PDA

View Full Version : Factory Orange Peel, can this be removed?

Pages : [1] 2

Anonu
04-01-2012, 10:27 AM
I`ve presonally never wetsanded for the purpose of removing orange peel. When I see it on OEM paint, it looks to me that it`s between the base coat and clear, not on the outer clear itself. Here`s an example of that I`m talking about:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xVs1ddtE6tU/TtL5QemyoTI/AAAAAAAAC4A/qJb850l5OH8/s800/DSC_2236.jpg

Looking nearer the tail light, see can see the orange peel. This is a black metallic 2008 BMW.

So what you see in the photo, could you flatten the orange peel with wetsanding, or is is it part of the basecoat and therefore not removable given that it`s underneath the clear?

Thanks

JohnKleven
04-01-2012, 10:39 AM
It`s not like you CAN`T remove it, but it will be a HUGE job. BMW clear is a real pain in the rear to polish out after sanding.

Anonu
04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
So the orange peel is in fact on the outside of the clear? Seems to me that compounding/polishing would have had a greater affect than what`s been left behind here.

RaskyR1
04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
So the orange peel is in fact on the outside of the clear? Seems to me that compounding/polishing would have had a greater affect than what`s been left behind here.

Compounding and polishing will not remove the orange peel, it would need to be wet sanded, but it`s not something I recommend doing on OEM paint. Sure it can be done, but doing so will remove valuable amounts of clear coat, leaving little UV protection behind, as well as very little clear for future corrections.

I also wouldn`t touch a job like that for under $2500.

C. Charles Hahn
04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Compounding and polishing will not remove the orange peel, it would need to be wet sanded, but it`s not something I recommend doing on OEM paint. Sure it can be done, but doing so will remove valuable amounts of clear coat, leaving little UV protection behind, as well as very little clear for future corrections.

Agreed. If I were doing a job like that on OE clear, application of Opti-Coat/Opti-Guard would be mandatory afterward.

Legacy
04-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I agree, unless this is a show car, leave it alone.

Anonu
04-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Good to know. I`m amazed to learn that this effect is actually th etop clear. I really thought you`d be able to feel it with your finger or with the baggie-method when it`s so easily visible to the eye.

Thanks, everyone.

SVR
04-02-2012, 05:21 AM
You do not need to wet or dry sand the paint to remove the orange peel, you can polish it out. However you will need a rotary with the denim or velvet pads from malaysia.

still need to be cautious though

Alfisti
04-02-2012, 08:23 AM
I saw your Youtube video removing orange peel. Very impressive. Can you elaborate on the process, pads and polish to use. Can another polish be substituted?

togwt
04-02-2012, 08:51 AM
I would only wet-sand freshly painted or custom paint cars and strongly advise against wet-sanding OEM paint finishes as the paint is usually very thin, or wet-sanding any paint without first using a paint thickness gauge (PTG) to check the thickness of available clear coat.

C. Charles Hahn
04-02-2012, 12:03 PM
You do not need to wet or dry sand the paint to remove the orange peel, you can polish it out. However you will need a rotary with the denim or velvet pads from malaysia.

Even with going that route you`re still removing a lot of material to flatten the paint; it`s just a different approach to the same end result.

RaskyR1
04-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Even with going that route you`re still removing a lot of material to flatten the paint; it`s just a different approach to the same end result.

...and more heat

SVR
04-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Agree with you Hahn, the system wont give you 100%, maybe 97 to 99%

but unlike sanding you can see the peel reducing and the marring you have will be lighter than if you sand

but hey It doesnt mean you dont eliminate sanding at all

SpoolinNoMore
04-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Another vote for "not worth it for OEM unless it`s a show car". From my understanding, orange peel is typically from uneven spraying of clearcoat (not keeping sprayer perpendicular with the surface). The sub-clearcoat imperfections would typically be runs in the paint.

imported_WhyteWizard
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Can you give us the link to your video please?

Robert