PDA

View Full Version : How-to?? Coolant + Washer Fluid Bottle Cleaning..

knight202
03-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Hi all,

Ive got an 84 Toyota Celica/Supra that im restoring. I have a wind shield washer fluid bottle (white) and the radiator coolant overflow tank bottle (white) that have faded and are starting to look a bit off white. I can no longer get them new so im forced to find a way to get the bottles back to a nice bright OEM white.

I dont think there are any specific products catered to what im trying to do, so im asking what everyone else has used to clean the bottles inside and out. Remember, there is only a small maybe 2" circular opening at the tops of each bottle.

Is something like bleach to harsh for the plastic bottle.

Thanks for having a look and i wait to here what ideas/products/techniques i can use to get them back to OEM.

Chris,

WD Pro
03-25-2012, 06:03 AM
For cleaning the staining off the inside of a old header tank I took the bottle off, pluged the holes, filled it with a solution of mild bleach with strong wash soap, added a handfull of small round gravel (like from the bottom of a fish tank) and shook it like a mad man. Rinsed it through and made sure all the gravel was out - worked ace :nod:

WD :smile1:

Accumulator
03-25-2012, 12:03 PM
knight202- Welcome to Autopia!

IF the plastic has really discolored, you might not be able to bring it back all the way. Won`t know until you try.

When doing something similar to a `84 RX7 I was able to improve the exterior of such items with plastic polish. I got mine from Griot`s, but there are others that people like such as Plexus and Meguiar`s.

Nth Degree
03-25-2012, 01:51 PM
I had success on a coolant overflow bottle with a strong APC and a stiff bottle brush, but it took some time. Given the age of the car I you might not be able to get them back to white. Many of those plastic bottles can be replace rather cheaply which might be worth it to save the time and headache.

C. Charles Hahn
03-25-2012, 03:20 PM
For something like that I wonder if blasting with baking soda at low pressure might be effective?

Accumulator
03-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Many of those plastic bottles can be replace rather cheaply which might be worth it to save the time and headache.

Yeah, while I`m a bit of an originality freak, replacement really is the way to go if the parts are available. Trouble is, so few parts are still out there, even for cars you`d expect no problems with.

C. Charles Hahn- That`s good thinking, but I`d be a bit leery of trying it on something irreplaceable :think: Yeah, it *sounds* gentle enough, but, well...you know.

C. Charles Hahn
03-26-2012, 02:10 PM
C. Charles Hahn- That`s good thinking, but I`d be a bit leery of trying it on something irreplaceable :think: Yeah, it *sounds* gentle enough, but, well...you know.

I fully agree, if it`s something you`d be concerned about destroying extreme caution would be advisable but something like this can be gentle enough with a little patience and care from the operator:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13747.jpg

Gravity Feed Blaster Gun (http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html)

Accumulator
03-27-2012, 09:48 AM
C. Charles Hahn-Heh heh, don`t tempt me...I could go nuts getting all involved with media blasting ;)

knight202
03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
interesting replies. appreciated

on this comment

"I had success on a coolant overflow bottle with a strong APC and a stiff bottle brush, but it took some time"

I am not sure i understand what APC is. Help on that would be great. I wonder if a very fine sanding with a plastics polish might take a layer off but still leave a smooth finish on the bottle. I will have to see. There is no replacement part unfortuantly for it. If i wreck this one, i can find a used one pretty easy but id rather not of course.

Chris,

cptzippy
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
APC is all purpose cleaner. The one I use is Optimum Power Clean but Meg`s and other makers have them as well.

Grimm
03-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I would try bleach on the inside first and see what happens. Otherwise I would try sandpaper on an inconspicuous spot like the bottom. Another one I just read, hydrogen peroxide out in the sun for several hours or more.

knight202
03-27-2012, 08:38 PM
I would try bleach on the inside first and see what happens. Otherwise I would try sandpaper on an inconspicuous spot like the bottom. Another one I just read, hydrogen peroxide out in the sun for several hours or more.

are you talking trying hydrogen peroxide out in the sun for the inside or submerging the bottle in a solution of HP and leaving it outside?

I had thought of submerging the bottle in a bleach solution aswell. Might be an idea for the outside. I will just have to try a couple techniques and see which works best

Chris,

WD Pro
03-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Another one I just read, hydrogen peroxide out in the sun for several hours or more.

I believe this works well on old Lego (both solid colours and translucent) :)

WD:)

Grimm
03-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I don`t remember what the forum was, but I came across one where a guy was putting together an RC car that had older parts. They were white and turned yellow over time. He put them in a bucket or something with hydrogen peroxide and left it out in the sun for like a day and the parts came out white. Since you are concerned about ruining the bottle, I would try it on the inside of the bottle first, or maybe put the bottle in a shallow tray of HP so only the bottom is submerged. That way if it doesn`t come out so well, it`s not a noticeable spot.

Accumulator
03-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Heh heh, I`ll let others do the experimenting, but if something like the hydrogen peroxide works out, please post back about it.