PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good dressing for Pedals and Rubber mats?

BklynRX7
03-21-2012, 10:59 PM
After cleaning the all-weather mats and my pedals, they seem to looks really flat and dull like most rubber, however the 303 aerospace protectant I use for everything else is extremely slippery when used on rubber and would pose a real danger on pedals or the drivers mat. What do you guys use for these tasks?

Thanks in advance for your help?

Leadfootluke
03-21-2012, 11:21 PM
I don`t know about on pedals, but for rubberized floormats after washing them with APC and drying them off, Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer cleans the rubber further and leaves a natural finish, without the slickness.

BklynRX7
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Ill check it out, thanks.

togwt
03-22-2012, 05:18 AM
I would`nt use any dressing on the pedel rubber, just wash with a citrus based cleaner. Floor mats; 303 Space Protectant or Iz Cockpit Premium

Dan
03-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Meg QID is the least slick dressing that darkens, but its still a bit slick. Its just not worth the risk in my opinion. New pedal covers are dirt cheap if its your own car. A customers car is just not worth the risk.

Leadfootluke
03-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Meg QID is the least slick dressing that darkens, but its still a bit slick. Its just not worth the risk in my opinion. New pedal covers are dirt cheap if its your own car. A customers car is just not worth the risk.

Good to know. I haven`t used it on pedals, just my own floor mats without issues, but I know slickness is a big no-no on pedals.

C. Charles Hahn
03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Never, never, never dress pedals unless you`re talking about a show car that is not driven; that`s a huge potential safety hazard. Just clean them with APC and let them dry naturally.

As for floor mats, I just stick to QID usually.

imported_DetailDan
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Talk about a lawsuit. I would never dress pedals, mats, steps, or anything that your foot comes in contact with.

Accumulator
03-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Heh heh...this is in the category of "stupid [stuff] I did as a kid" :chuckle:

Kevin Brown
03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah, its best to keep those pedals and rubber mats squeaky clean.

Typically, I scrub the dirt off using an all purpose cleaner and a toothbrush.

Pedals with rubber footpads can still look dirty after this sort of cleaning, so a quick swipe of the pedal using a towel doused with a bit and lacquer thinner or Prep-Sol with make them look as clean as new. Plus, the solvent will eliminate any slipperiness.

C. Charles Hahn
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah, its best to keep those pedals and rubber mats squeaky clean.

Typically, I scrub the dirt off using an all purpose cleaner and a toothbrush.

Pedals with rubber footpads can still look dirty after this sort of cleaning, so a quick swipe of the pedal using a towel doused with a bit and lacquer thinner or Prep-Sol with make them look as clean as new. Plus, the solvent will eliminate any slipperiness.

LT/Prep-Sol... great tip!

Brad B
03-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Heh heh...this is in the category of "stupid [stuff] I did as a kid" :chuckle:

Yea. I Armor-All`d my Kawasaki motorcycle seat once. Didn`t think twice about it until I sat on it a day later. Duh!! Luckily I didn`t ride off!

BklynRX7
03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was afraid of exactly what your warning me about so I tried 303 and a malco dressing I have on a rubber trunk liner to see how slick they were before I ever considered them for the floor mats.They were terrible so I asked here. I was hoping there was a safe method I didnt know about.

Accumulator
03-23-2012, 11:54 AM
BklynRX7- When I clean rubber stuff with a Rubber Cleaner (I like Griot`s) it often comes out a bit better than when I use my regular APCs. Gotta watch what you use if you want to notice the diff though, as a lot of companies just relabel their APCs under different "application names" even though it`s really just the same stuff. The Griot`s tends to leave stuff "blacker" while some other APCs leave it kinda "gray".

I can`t help but wonder if Wurth`s Rubber Care would leave things like this slippery :confused: Hmm...might try it sometime, though I`ll be prepared to clean it back off if it doesn`t work out.