PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best glass cleaner that wont leave windows streaked or greasy ?

frankosmusica
03-21-2012, 02:10 AM
I buy that regular Windex blue color one for windows, and dry it out with a terry cloth. But it always always comes out greasy sometimes I just prefect drying the windows after drying the whole car and just giving it another pass with a terry dry cloth to remove the water spots it comes out cleaner streak free and no windex rather than adding that stuff.

what'sinaname
03-21-2012, 04:49 AM
As I understand, Windex contains ammonia which is bad for car paint.

I use Megs window cleaner that doesn`t streak at all. I need to use it after using their wash n wax which puts a wax coating on the windows which can be seen when the sun is low.

gmblack3
03-21-2012, 04:57 AM
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/d12001-glass-cleaner-concentrate/

About $20 or less for a gallon which makes 11 gallons. I can highly recommend!

Nopstnz8
03-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Use ONR in a bucket with a sponge, clean the windows, then wipe them streak free. DONE!

If you get water that drips on the panels, wipe it dry, but if you`re car is dirty, leaf blow the water dry, as you should NEVER wipe dirt.

Jokeman
03-21-2012, 06:07 AM
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/d12001-glass-cleaner-concentrate/

About $20 or less for a gallon which makes 11 gallons. I can highly recommend!

I second that notion.

jfelbab
03-21-2012, 07:27 AM
+3 I also love the Meg`s D-line concentrate and usually follow with UQW, (D156).

Watch for the free shipping deals and the gallons jugs of these are a great bargain.

Junebug
03-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Stoners IG, $3.49 a can at wallymart. Get the can, not that spray bottle stuff. Spray,let it foam for 10-15 seconds, wipe, done.

Dan
03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Megs glass cleaner, the best by a long shot. I used to be a huge fan of IG, no more, the Megs stuff works so much better, smells better and is cheaper. Its almost like a QD for glass.

pwaug
03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Clearly Better Glass Cleaner from Surf City Garage was always my go to---after the first wipe it partially drys to a visible light fog--removing the fog with the second wipe/towel asures no streaks. Ordered a bottle of the 3D concentrate when free shipping was inplace and it performs the same way at a fantastic price -- $4.99 for a bottle that makes approx 6 gallons + six gallons of distilled water ($6.00) so $11.00 for over six gallons of ready to use glass cleaner--works out to about .35 per 24 OZs

Jamie 80
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Megs glass cleaner, the best by a long shot. I used to be a huge fan of IG, no more, the Megs stuff works so much better, smells better and is cheaper. Its almost like a QD for glass.

That is my story dead on, Megs glass cleaner is the best hands down for the value.

cptzippy
03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I like Stoner`s Invisible Glass ok but the best I`ve found for me is Prima Clarity.

Scottwax
03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Use ONR in a bucket with a sponge, clean the windows, then wipe them streak free. DONE!

Works great, I very rarely have to go back over glass with ONR at QD strength and a MF towel after washing them with ONR.

Two mistakes that are common when cleaning glass:

1. Using something other than microfiber

2. Not getting the glass wet enough-you don`t get it wet enough with the glass cleaner, you can`t remove all the built up grime.

bigfish528
03-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Megs glass cleaner is awesome I even use it on my regular glasses, Windex never worked to well for me and I only used Stoners IG spray which always left streaks never tried the can version.

frankosmusica
03-23-2012, 01:34 AM
I will be buying Meg. because it is a pain in the but to use Windex it leaves so much streaks and grease its double the work, so I just stopped using it and just dry the window it comes out better

MichaelM
03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Cleaning glass has a lot more to do with the towel and the process used then the cleaner.

The trick to getting glass streak-free is to get all the fluid (water or cleaner) off the window before it has a chance to dry on its own. That is when streaking occurs.

Use a damp towel to "wash" the window then a dry towel to "buff" it dry. The key being to move quickly with the dry towel side to side staying on one plane until you feel it starting to grab the glass a bit then slowly move towards the end of the section you are trying to clean. You will get streaking if you move away from an area where the towel hasn`t been given a chance to absorb everything on that section of glass. Just like if you were QDing the paint and fail to properly dry a panel you`d end up with streaks.

We use ww mf towels and watered down glass cleaner, Meg`s or Ardex or any other alcohol based cleaner as they are nearly the same. I water ours down a bit more then recommended in the warmer months so that we have more working time. Knowing that alcohol is a drying agent it will cut down on your margin for error and can increase your streaking if you aren`t quick enough.