PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Mark Removal

BMWE30
03-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Whats the trick Of getting the swirl marks out?I have a pc (I used it with the orange pad a.k.a. light cutting pad) I used it with the product called Klasse "All In One" polish before I polished I clayed (I know that clay does not remover swirl marks)for a contaminent free surface,used Meg`s "#7" glaze with the grey pad,Sealed it with Klasse,put S100 over that.
Still looked better less "swirls" but I want to get rid of them what is your advice on removing these.

P.S.THE CAR IS WHITE,USED THE PC WITH IT A SPEED SETTING #4 SHOULD I GO FASTER?

Joe's Detail
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
u should try at a faster speed. Use the least aggressive product first and work your way up. No need to cut more than you have too. Try Poorboys SSR`s they are really good product. SSR3 being the most aggressive and SSR1 being the least.

BMWE30
03-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Does anybody have a picture of a swirl mark so I can use it as a refrence?

Joe's Detail
03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Do a search for `Swirl Mark Pics` , Im sure you`ll find some

CharlesW
03-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Several things.
1. Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner with little or no abrasive content and won`t do much at removing swirls. Any swirls you removed were probably because of the abrasive action of the pad.
2. Klasse AIO is an excellent cleaner/prep and one of my favorite products. It just doesn`t remove swirls.
3. Using Meg`s #7 before the Klasse SG probably compromised the bonding process and you won`t get the maximum benefit from the SG.
4. You need a true swirl removal product to remove swirls.:) Poorboy has several as do many manufacturers. Poorboy`s seems to be easy to use and doesn`t leave fillers/oils to affect the bonding of a sealant.
5. A higher speed setting wil help in swirl removal. 6 seems to work best for me.

Just my suggestion for a procedure.
1. Swirl removal with PB`s SSR2, polishing pad, speed of 6.
2. Clean/prep paint with Klasse AIO, polishing pad, speed of 4 or 5. Follow the instructions. Dampen the pad, remove before it dries.
3. Klasse SG by hand.
4. It might be advisable to let the SG cure for 24 hours before applying the S100 Carnauba. Never used the SG so I don`t really know.
5. S100 Carnauba by hand. Again, follow the instructions and remove before it dries.

I didn`t list the #7 for two reasons.
1. I don`t think it is a good product to use prior to a sealant.
2. I have never had any luck with the stuff. Give it to a friend. That`s what I did.:)

Charles

BMWE30
03-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I guess after all I do not have swirl marks they just appear to be spider scratches or something very small but they are there..............

GregCavi
03-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Pick up a bottle of meguiars #83 if you want to buy locally, give it a shot with a polishing pad on 5-6.

Greg

Brenton
03-11-2006, 06:26 AM
I guess after all I do not have swirl marks they just appear to be spider scratches or something very small but they are there..............

That`s what most people call "swirl marks" here, the spider lines. What I would call swirl marks where I live are buffing marks on here.

Anyway, you can get rid of them, but by the time you see them with white you are quite sure they are significant. I would follow the above advice, using a Poorboy`s product with your PC, one or two of the Super Swirl Removers (SSR 3, 2.5, 2, or 1).

But I would add one thing: PATIENCE. Really, patience. Kick your PC up a little, and spend a long time on a panel--five minutes per pass.

Really, I know it sounds ridiculous, but that`s what it takes to work in.

CharlesW
03-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Pick up a bottle of meguiars #83 if you want to buy locally, give it a shot with a polishing pad on 5-6.

GregMeg`s #83 or possibly even #82 might do the job, but the smallest container available is 32 oz. That would last me several years.

Charles