PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Audi A4 Pearl Black

Detail Newbie
03-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi guys. I have zero detailing experience. After getting the new car, I thought I`d pay attention and invest on car car products. Hoping for some help filling in some holes here. Here`s what I have right now:

a) Adams two-bucket grit guard system;

b) Adams large and small wash pads;

c) Adams car shampoo;

d) Adams VRT;

e) Adams clay and detail spray;

f) Adams all purpose cleaner;

g) Adams brilliant glaze and americana wax;

h) Sonax full wheel cleaner;

i) Griot`s Garage dual orbital polisher along with all the uber pads in the attached:http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griots-Garage-6-inch-Random-Orbital-Polisher-Base-Kit_p_683.html

j) 2 Adams waffle weave drying towel;

k) 2 single soft MF towels;

l) one double soft MF towel;

I`m guessing I need some polish and paint sealant right? Is there any products you can recommend? I`m not partial to Adams. It just seemed like the products are user friendly but I`m willing to look at others that are effective and newbie friendly.

Am I missing anything else for external care? BTW this is my daily driver.

Thanks.

Detail Newbie
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Oh and BTW the dealers put in some platinum paint protection...i think it`s a wax and sealant combo.

Detail Newbie
03-16-2012, 08:30 PM
help anyone?

Darkstar752
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh and BTW the dealers put in some platinum paint protection...i think it`s a wax and sealant combo.

The dealership is detailing it before you get it? That`s likely not good news, watch out for holograms. It is possible they will do it properly, but more often than not it`s bad. I would instruct them to do nothing to the car if you plan on detailing it yourself.

And you`re correct, you could use a sealant and polishes. I would recommend Menzerna SF 2500 and SF 4000 (Power and Super finish respectively). If you need a compound, get Meguiar`s M105. I would recommend Menzerna Powerlock for the sealant if you plan on topping it. Also, get the 16oz rather than the 32oz if you`re only doing your car, as these products will last you a very long time.

In addition to the above, pick up some:

-Isopropyl Alcohol(local drug store, first aid section, 70%)

-some cheap MF towels for the exhaust/dirty jobs

-metal polish for the exhaust

-Applicators for tire dressing/VRT, and tire dressing too(VRT is nice but expensive for this purpose)

- Lighting for paint correction. Halogens, LED, or if on a budget try a mini-mag light, surprisingly bright.

- Leather Cleaner, and LM protection cream if you feel it`s necessary.

That`s all I can think of for now, should be pretty set with that list.

Leadfootluke
03-16-2012, 09:32 PM
The dealership is detailing it before you get it? That`s likely not good news, watch out for holograms. It is possible they will do it properly, but more often than not it`s bad. I would instruct them to do nothing to the car if you plan on detailing it yourself.

And you`re correct, you could use a sealant and polishes. I would recommend Menzerna SF 2500 and SF 4000 (Power and Super finish respectively). If you need a compound, get Meguiar`s M105. I would recommend Menzerna Powerlock for the sealant if you plan on topping it. Also, get the 16oz rather than the 32oz if you`re only doing your car, as these products will last you a very long time.

In addition to the above, pick up some:

-Isopropyl Alcohol(local drug store, first aid section, 70%)

-some cheap MF towels for the exhaust/dirty jobs

-metal polish for the exhaust

-Applicators for tire dressing/VRT, and tire dressing too(VRT is nice but expensive for this purpose)

- Lighting for paint correction. Halogens, LED, or if on a budget try a mini-mag light, surprisingly bright.

- Leather Cleaner, and LM protection cream if you feel it`s necessary.

That`s all I can think of for now, should be pretty set with that list.

I would look into the Megs 105/205 combo as well and maybe a finishing polish. From what the Adam`s site and reps claim, the Americana will last up to 2 months, so I would definitely get a sealant that will provide better long lasting protection. Definitely more Microfibers and I would look into a good bulk APC, such as Megs D103 or Optimum Power Clean. You will be able to use APC`s for a lot in terms of cleaning wheels, tires, exhausts, paint, engine bays, interiors, pads/towels, etc.

usdm
03-17-2012, 01:35 AM
help anyone?

Since you like Adams "user-frienliness", stick with the glaze and the wax for now. Use them with you PC, and learn how the machine works before you go further Give Phil a call at Detailers Domain, and let him sort you out with the polishes only if you really feel you need them.

As far as the sealant, thats probably not needed right now. Your money`s better used getting more towels, brushes, and some good work lights.

pwaug
03-17-2012, 06:59 AM
From an ease of use perspective I would suggest you take a look at Uno as a polish and POXY as an LSP HD Uno HD Poxy Professional Sizes (http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Uno-and-HD-Poxy.html) One polish it cut, polish and finish with no dusting. My experience as new to machine polishing has been very good using UNO--it just simplifies the learning curve. There are video`s on the 3D site and you can read more in the posts in the 3D section of this website as well as use the search function. I would suggest you begin you learning on an older car if you have one available. You bought a great kit, but you are going to need more pads--perhaps 4 Orange, 4 Green and 2 Red to start--then move on from there as you get to know your paint.

I would also suggest you do allot of reading and watching of videos on how to use your GG on this and the other detailing sites before you begin.

Detail Newbie
03-19-2012, 02:13 PM
thanks guys...i`ll have to do more research on compound vs. polish...a little confused on what`s the difference.

cptzippy
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
thanks guys...i`ll have to do more research on compound vs. polish...a little confused on what`s the difference.

Basic difference is level of abrasive with compound being more abrasive and polish being less. These are broad terms and their is generally levels in easy product line that break that out even more.

Oh, and as far as dealer detailing - don`t do it. If they haven`t done it already, don`t let them. If they have, repeat after me - `don`t ever let a car dealer touch your paint`. Made the mistake with a new lexus I got back in `09 because the dealership rules said they HAD to - huge mistake.

Detail Newbie
03-19-2012, 04:30 PM
unfortunately they already applied the paint protection...i thought it`d be just a spray. I guess it`s a wax and sealant. from initial inspection i didn`t see any swirls on the paint but some on the b pillars. i`ll know better next time.

so Meg 105 is a compound (more abrassive) than Meg 205 is a polish (less abrassive)?