PDA

View Full Version : Using a QD as a Waterless Wash?

jmsc
03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Can a QD be effective assuming:

1. paint has had a recent carnauba or sealant lsp applied

2. light dust to medium dirt

3. a power wash is first done

Will a QD that matches the lsp be a viable alternative?

Anyone doing this?

Accumulator
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
jmsc- That`s what a lot of manufacturers *say* you can do with their QDs, but IME anything other than *very* light dust is just too much for `em to deal with and the result is marring. The powerwash might get it clean enough for things to turn out OK, but I guess it`s another one of those "how lucky do you you feel?" sort of things.

What about using ONR at QD-strength? You could always follow *that* with some other QD that`s more "looks oriented", at least the ONR would do its encapsulation magic and keep the marring to a minimum.

dervdave
03-17-2012, 08:10 AM
jmsc- That`s what a lot of manufacturers *say* you can do with their QDs, but IME anything other than *very* light dust is just too much for `em to deal with and the result is marring. The powerwash might get it clean enough for things to turn out OK, but I guess it`s another one of those "how lucky do you you feel?" sort of things.

What about using ONR at QD-strength? You could always follow *that* with some other QD that`s more "looks oriented", at least the ONR would do its encapsulation magic and keep the marring to a minimum.

Excellent advice :up

Leadfootluke
03-17-2012, 03:28 PM

I do that all the time. Not necessarily as a waterless wash, but I do use it for the purpose of cleaning parts of the paint. It cleans very well without marring. I have actually seen users suggest the opposite. Opti-clean as a QD.