PDA

View Full Version : Used car `details`...

LSZ06
03-14-2012, 01:12 AM
I used to work at a Dodge dealership washing cars and when we would get a used car in we would send it out to get `detailed`. When they would come back they would be super slick and shiney EVERYWHERE. Whatever they used it filled in LOTS of imperfections and swirls and made the car look pretty good until it got washed and then you could see all the imperfections. Well I just bought a used vehicle from a private owner and he had it `detailed` and it was the same way. Everything was super shiney and it looked really good with no obvious imperfections, however after I bought it and washed it I soon found that it needed a lot of work on the black paint.

Anyway, sorry for the book, but my questions is what the heck do they use? I`ve already corrected the paint and got it looking great with my PC and some m105 and m205, but I would still like to know what they use. It seems to me that its some sort of wash and wax sort of product and it seems to be `silicone` like in some way. Everything from the door jams, to the exterior, to underneith the hood is coated with this stuff and it seems to hide everything. Anyway, I appreciate any feedback.

Dan
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
There are lots of silicone rich products out there, hard to say which one they used, but you could always ask. The Automagic line has pretty strong fillers and is readily available.

LSZ06
03-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the info! I think I might try the Hydro Shine and maybe some of the XP Express Wax.

Yeah I should probably just ask them, but this gives me an excuse to buy and try some new products :)

David Fermani
03-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I`m unclear here? What exactly do you want to shine more? The paint and/or the interior trim/engine??

LSZ06
03-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Yeah I`m looking for what they used on the paint mainly. However, it seems like everything from the paint, to the door jambs, to the wheels wells, to the outside trim, and rubber seals were coated with the one product. I was really amazed with the filling properties and how well it was able to cover up scratches and swirls. Whatever product they used washed off completely by the second wash and I was then able to see the actual condition of the paint. The product has to be something like that Auto Magic line because the used car lot where I worked sent their cars to a high volume `detail` place where they were done in about 2-3 hours and I`m sure my QX4 that I just bought was sent to the same sort of chain detail place that gets cars in and out. In my head it still seems like some sort of silicone product, but I could be wrong.

LSZ06
03-15-2012, 12:23 AM
I know and have products that are far far far superior then what the `detail` place used and uses, but I`m just amazed by how fast they can turn around a car done by somebody with probably no experience or pride in detailing and still make it look that good. Maybe I`ll swing by the place tomorrow and ask and I`ll report back.

Dan
03-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Cool. IMO there is nothing wrong with concealing, especially on a black car. You`ll go insane trying to keep it perfect.