PDA

View Full Version : ABC Wash question - black trim

Run N. Gun
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
I have someone with a new white Saab 93X that has a bunch of rail-dust on it from delivery. I have ordered the Paint Neutralization Kit from Valugard AKA the "ABC Wash (Linky) (http://www.valugard.net/cms/xramp/ValuGardNeutralizationSystem/tabid/84/Default.aspx)" to help get rid of the rail dust. This particular car has a lot of black plastic trim around the bottom of the vehicle (see pic below). I understand that with the "B" step of the neutralization process requires keeping the product off of the trim. Have any of you run into this before and if so how did you tackle it successfully?

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2009/02/2010_saab_93-x.jpg

Thanks for your help!

RnG

Ron Ketcham
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
That warning was put in the instructions so people would be careful.

As long as the plastic part is cool and kept wet, follow dwell times, you will not have to worry about any damage.

Just read and follow the written directions, and there is a video on using it on ValuGard`s web site as well.

If you have dressings on that bottom part, the system will remove the dressings, so they will have to be redressed.

Keep in mind, that this system is sold by Ford under their MotorCraft label, that Hyundai, Mazda, Kia, Nissan, Chrysler Canada, etc, etc all have issued technical service bulletins for the required use of this system and have done so for over 10 years.

If there were a problem, then they would have withdrawn the TSB`s years ago.

On average, aprox 40.000 to 50,000 new vehicles are treated with this system each years and in excess of 250,000 used vehicles.

Grumpy

Run N. Gun
03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Thank you for the response, Ron! I think it is interesting that both in the written instructions and the training video, it warns the user to keep the B product off of the trim. Sounds more like a liability sound-bite, more than a damage warning. I`ll test it in an inconspicuous area just to be safe.

salty
03-13-2012, 12:58 AM
As all knowledgeable Ron said, use as directed and you will have no problems.

Accumulator
03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
That warning was put in the instructions so people would be careful...

Absolutely :xyxthumbs:

I just "ABC"ed the Crown Vic and it did nothing but clean the black trim, which on that car is a mixture of new/old, good/lousy condition, etc. As per usual, I just wished it were more potent stuff (yeah, Ron...I did use that bug pad ;) ).

I *do* keep the "B" off of any compromised aluminum trim though, lest it cause some "fogging". Coated/etc. aluminum is OK though.

Keep in mind, that this system is sold by Ford under their MotorCraft label, that Hyundai, Mazda, Kia, Nissan, Chrysler Canada, etc, etc all have issued technical service bulletins for the required use of this system and have done so for over 10 years...

You oughta put that "required" in scare-quotes ;)

Ron Ketcham
03-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Recall the recent post and photo of the yellow car with the purple stains in the paint?

That was caused by the high percentage of oxalic acid in the product.

Works quicker, but at what "price" for damages that can happen?

Learned to not make such a product back in the late 80`s.

Same thing would happen and talk about trim, both plastic, aluminum and even some stainless being permanently stained!

The B has a small percentage of oxalic, a very highly refined version, however it does not do the work by it`s self, there are other components that are in play.

ABC may seem a little more time and effort than "quickies", but I think it is a much better method to handle such concerns, and apparently so do a lot of car manufactuers.

And, not just for a year or so, but for well over a decade. Probably well over a million vehicles have had the ABC used on them.

Grumpy

Scottwax
03-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Good information, Ron!

Kean
03-16-2012, 03:18 PM
What about vehicles with factory vinyl graphics? An example would be my 2010 Challenger R/T which has matte, hood to fender stripes. I know not all vinyl materials will necessarily be the same or have similar sensitivities to cleaners, etc., but would the ABC kit be generally safe using the same precautions for trim as mentioned? The reason I ask is that it`s been over a year since my last full detail and I have thought about using the kit as part of my decon step. It`s not that I would necessarily want to use the product(s) on the stripes but I would like to know if there is any great concern if some product made contact with those surfaces as I was addressing the surrounding areas. ....I appreciate the feedback.

Kean
03-17-2012, 01:59 PM
....any opinions based on knowledge/experiences? ....Ron, anyone?

Ron Ketcham
03-17-2012, 02:23 PM
If they are "factory" applied stripes/decals, not problem.

Chrysler has had dealers with problem vehicles use the system for over 15 years and is sold under the MoPar label in Canada.

It will remove any wax, etc that you have on them, as it should.

Grumpy

Kean
03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
...thanks Ron.