PDA

View Full Version : Does Clearkote`s CMW contain polymers?

Alfisti
03-12-2012, 08:41 AM
I used it for the first time on our new (to us) dark green Jag and it looked spectacular. :drool:

The clarity and depth was better than most LSP I`ve tried, the very fine-grain flake was visible and the gloss was outstanding.

I`m just curious as to why it`s so good. Is it pure carnauba (which I doubt, for no particular reason) or is it a hybrid polymer wax?

imported_ww2717
03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I think that Scott needs to address this one for you. He uses Clearcoat products.

mystickid
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Yep, Scott probably knows more. At one point I was also researching more on CMW. Looks supper rich and wet on darks. I heard durability is terrible though. A good beauty was it seems.

dogma
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Yep, Scott probably knows more. At one point I was also researching more on CMW. Looks supper rich and wet on darks. I heard durability is terrible though. A good beauty was it seems.

I don`t know where you heard that,durability is excelent. RMG then CMW is hard to beat

mystickid
03-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I don`t know where you heard that,durability is excelent. RMG then CMW is hard to beat

I don`t know either, what`s actual durability like?

Scottwax
03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Clearkote`s waxes are petroleum based with carnauba added to Carnauba Moose. If you pick up a bottle, you will notice it feels very heavy for its size. Not sure exactly why but it definitely has some heft.

I get 4-6 months durability with it here in the Dallas area.

Alfisti
03-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Clearkote`s waxes are petroleum based with carnauba added to Carnauba Moose.

How does that differ from other carnauba waxes?

Do you know if they contain polymers as well, or just straight carnauba (which would be rare)?

togwt
03-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Carnauba in today`s wax formulas functions mostly as a carrier. It is the vehicle used to keep the polymers and oils on your car`s surface. Only a small portion of your vehicle`s shine comes from the "wax" (i.e. carnauba) itself. Carnauba is translucent at best with only minimal light reflection, which is one of the reasons a polymer is added.

`Pure` Canauba wax is a markeing myth

mystickid
03-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Carnauba in today`s wax formulas functions mostly as a carrier. It is the vehicle used to keep the polymers and oils on your car`s surface. Only a small portion of your vehicle`s shine comes from the "wax" (i.e. carnauba) itself. Carnauba is translucent at best with only minimal light reflection, which is one of the reasons a polymer is added.

`Pure` Canauba wax is a markeing myth

TOGWT, I love you`re extensive technical/chemical knowledge on the subject matter. Been reading your insightful and important replies for years. Thanks.

togwt
03-13-2012, 07:38 AM
I`m glad the information provided is of use and a `Thank you` makes it all worthwhile

Knowledge unshared is Experience wasted

Alfisti
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Carnauba is translucent at best with only minimal light reflection, which is one of the reasons a polymer is added.

I don`t mean to sound argumentative but I`m not entirely sure of that. You`ve always got to be suspicious of Englishman. ;) :brit

I have furniture wax whose main active ingredient is carnauba wax with the ingredients not listing any polymers or silicones. It`s a PIA to use but is very glossy when you manage to buff the residue off (and then to hospital to put your arm back on).

Also, many food-grade items are coated with carnauba to make them slippery and shiny, such as pills and confectionery.

As it happens, I found a bottle of CMW I`ve had for quite some time and it says on the side that it contains no silicones or polymers. I guess that answers my own question! :redface1: