PDA

View Full Version : Plastic film won`t come off clear coat - has it bonded with paint?

davedamage
03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a Mazda Miata (MX) which I had to leave outside in the rain fro 30 days. There is a small tear in the rag top, so I placed some thin plastic (like a dry cleaner bag) over the car for protection. Upon my return the car was dry (which was my intention) but the plastic has left a strange film on the paint. Almost as if it has bonded to the paint. If i run my finger nail over the film it does not have a ridge. It seems that it has changed the molecular structure of the clear coat, but that seems extreme. I have an image posted below.

I have tried WD40 and just today a Clay Bar, neither of these had any effect.

Has anyone ever come across this and if so, what methods could you recommend?

http://www.davemcilroy.com/storage/website-images/paint-film1.JPG

Darkstar752
03-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Polishing it out would likely be your best option. Looks like it altered the paint in some way, but it`s likely only the very top surface of the paint. Let us know how it turns out.

ajnavo61490
03-13-2012, 04:20 PM
possible wetsand to knock it off then polish away the marks

Greg Gellas
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Is it hot where u live? What was the temp like?

RaskyR1
03-13-2012, 05:50 PM
I`d maybe try some adhesive remover first.

Ron Ketcham
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Based upon your post and the conditions, here is most likely what you are dealing with.

"Moisture entrapment" in the clearcoat.

Clearcoat is porus, it will accept moisture into it.

Not sure, not there, and photos are one thing but the "trained human eye" is another.

Wipe or mist, just get wet with IPA (rubbing alcohol) at least a 70% solution.

Let it set, keep wet with the4 IPA for a few minutes, then using a hair dryer or a heat gun, apply even heat to the affected area, not allowing the area to get so hot you can not touch it with your bare finger.

The moisture that is entrapped in the clear will be removed, and no damage to the clearcoat.

It is a common problem, especially when transit wrap is not applied properly.

No harsh, possibly, damaging solvents, no buffing, etc.

IPA will try the moisture out and leave the clearcoat as you expect it to look.

Let us all know how this works if you choose to do this.

Or, you can just let the car set in the warm sun and after some time, the mositure will evaporate from the clearcoat.

Grumpy

RaskyR1
03-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Based upon your post and the conditions, here is most likely what you are dealing with.

"Moisture entrapment" in the clearcoat.

Clearcoat is porus, it will accept moisture into it.

Not sure, not there, and photos are one thing but the "trained human eye" is another.

Wipe or mist, just get wet with IPA (rubbing alcohol) at least a 70% solution.

Let it set, keep wet with the4 IPA for a few minutes, then using a hair dryer or a heat gun, apply even heat to the affected area, not allowing the area to get so hot you can not touch it with your bare finger.

The moisture that is entrapped in the clear will be removed, and no damage to the clearcoat.

It is a common problem, especially when transit wrap is not applied properly.

No harsh, possibly, damaging solvents, no buffing, etc.

IPA will try the moisture out and leave the clearcoat as you expect it to look.

Let us all know how this works if you choose to do this.

Or, you can just let the car set in the warm sun and after some time, the mositure will evaporate from the clearcoat.

Grumpy

I learned something new today! Thank you! :xyxthumbs

Ron Ketcham
03-13-2012, 09:47 PM
IPA is a "drying agent".

Glad you got something from my post.

Here is another little trick.

When filling a water based surfactant based cleaner that is concentrate, to a bottle, put in the water first and then add the correct amount of concentrate, or you get so much foam you can`t get the concentrate in to the bottle, right?

Even then, a lot of foam is there, so just have a bottle of IPA in a sprayer around and mist the foam.

It will "break" the foam bubbles and you can continue on.

Grumpy

mdbohica
03-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Now THAT Sir...is a heck of a tip. I WILL be trying this tonight!

IPA is a "drying agent".

Glad you got something from my post.

Here is another little trick.

When filling a water based surfactant based cleaner that is concentrate, to a bottle, put in the water first and then add the correct amount of concentrate, or you get so much foam you can`t get the concentrate in to the bottle, right?

Even then, a lot of foam is there, so just have a bottle of IPA in a sprayer around and mist the foam.

It will "break" the foam bubbles and you can continue on.

Grumpy