PDA

View Full Version : Good & affordable floor jack + stands?

SpoolinNoMore
03-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I`m not fortunate enough to own a hydraulic scissor lift for removing wheels and getting to the undercarriage for full details, so I`m trying to find a decent floor jack and stands that are affordable and would work with cars and SUVs/trucks alike. I know you get what you pay for, but I`m looking for sub-$150 for 4 stands and a jack (I expect to be ordering it, so local purchase isn`t a big deal). I don`t know what the lift range is required for an SUV, but I have a floor jack that works with small vehicles, so the initial clearance wouldn`t be an issue for lowered or smaller cars. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

cptzippy
03-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I`ll be looking for this answer too. All I have is a cheap set of aluminum jacks stands and floor jack (both 2 ton) that I got at autzone for like $50. Worked great on the MINI but creaked and made me so nervous when I tried them on my heavy old Jag I haven`t used them since.

SpoolinNoMore
03-10-2012, 01:10 PM
I figure 2 tons should cover most vehicles, it looks like an Escalade`s curb weight is around 5900 lbs, and spread across 4 points is well within a nice safety buffer zone.

Leadfootluke
03-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Costco has an Arcan 3.5ton floor jack for $105.

Arcan 3.25 Ton Auto Floor Jack - Auto - Jack - Jack - The Garage Store (http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1597)

It is low profile, and can lift to about 22"

Ron Ketcham
03-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Harbor Frieght, they have great, strong jack stands and if you catch them on sale, real deal. Have 4, they are heavy welded steel, adjustable.

Jack`s? They have a complete selection.

I have an all steel 2 1/2 ton and an aluminum 3 ton for floor jacks floor jacks.

If there is a store near you, save a ton on shipping.

Grumpy

C. Charles Hahn
03-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Harbor Frieght, they have great, strong jack stands and if you catch them on sale, real deal. Have 4, they are heavy welded steel, adjustable.

Jack`s? They have a complete selection.

I have an all steel 2 1/2 ton and an aluminum 3 ton for floor jacks floor jacks.

If there is a store near you, save a ton on shipping.

Grumpy

:werd: I`ve had great luck with the newer HF jacks and stands.

ThrillHo
03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I have also used Harbor Freight jacks and stands on everything from my 4x4 truck to my parents` luxury sedans. Great stuff.

Nth Degree
03-10-2012, 02:24 PM
At Christmas time I was walking through Sears and saw a box set (I think it was Craftsman) with jack, stands (2 I think) and a creeper for $50. Not sure the quality, but I would think it would cover most uses. If you need it more than twice a week I would think you have the business and the cashflow to warrant spending money for high quality jack or a lift. Try Craigslist for heavy duty stands.

Wanderer
03-10-2012, 02:40 PM
I have a 2 ton motomaster (canadian tire brand junk) that came in a kit with a little air pump and some other stuff. The jack was a little scary to use cos it was so small, and I was mainly jacking up VWs and my old FD RX-7 (miss that car *sniffle*), cant imagine using a 2 ton on a truck or SUV. After a few years the seals went and wouldnt jack anything up any more. I upgraded to a 3 ton, didnt wanna get another 2 ton since I now have a 4000lb Audi, and it feels much safer. Wish I got low profile though, so annoying driving onto 2"x6" everytime I wanna jack my GTi up.

Moral of the story, bigger is better and you get what you pay for ;)

SpoolinNoMore
03-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Oops brain farted what a ton was... Yeah, I`d need a 3 ton jack to be on the safe side. It looks like there is a Harbor Freight a town over, so I`ll hit them up this weekend along with Sears (since it`s close as well). :rockon1: