PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions, decisions...what to go with?

xtremekustomz
03-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I`m getting about ready to put an order in for some new pads, compounds and polishes. I want something that will be universal for all paint types. As for the pads I`m thinking about going with Uber. Probably going to get the yellow and orange pads for my rotary and the green and blue for my pc. As for a compound I`m thinking about the Menzerna Powergloss. From what I`ve read it seems to be pretty good at removing heavy swirl and water spots. For final polish I`m looking at the PO85RD. I do a good bit of color sanding and buffing as well. I`m using some 3m products right now that work great 06085 for compounding, 05937for polishing and sometimes go over that with Menzerna FPII. Any other recommendations? Also need a good backing plate at a good price for the 6.5" uber pads.

Legacy
03-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Meg`s 105/205 combo works well. For a one stepper I like Menzerna PF2500 Power Finish. Foam backing plates are nice and half the cost of the 3M backing plates.
I`m getting about ready to put an order in for some new pads, compounds and polishes. I want something that will be universal for all paint types. As for the pads I`m thinking about going with Uber. Probably going to get the yellow and orange pads for my rotary and the green and blue for my pc. As for a compound I`m thinking about the Menzerna Powergloss. From what I`ve read it seems to be pretty good at removing heavy swirl and water spots. For final polish I`m looking at the PO85RD. I do a good bit of color sanding and buffing as well. I`m using some 3m products right now that work great 06085 for compounding, 05937for polishing and sometimes go over that with Menzerna FPII. Any other recommendations? Also need a good backing plate at a good price for the 6.5" uber pads.

JohnKleven
03-09-2012, 11:02 PM
You will want to use Power Gloss to cut, but Super Intensive with orange as the middle step, then finish down with 85rd. I don`t think you can go wrong with that combo, but I prefer the curved CCS pads.

xtremekustomz
03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Think I`m gonna try out the Meguiars duo. I`ve got an in store credit at Advance Auto parts for $80 so that will cover the compound and polish. How are the Meguiars pads?

SVR
03-13-2012, 05:19 AM
G`day Xtremekustomz

Lots more pad types to choose from these days

You could try surbuf microfinger pads, optimum microfibre pads and some soft foams

let the pad be the aggressor not the liquid polish, thats my preference. Safer to use a strong pad like surbuf, denim, velvet, rayon, microfibre, human hair etc

than a leveller or compound

Find a technique to turn the pad from the aggressor down to a refining pad. it`s all in the arm speed, arm pressure, opm/rpm and orbit throw or rotary machine

Lotuseffect
03-13-2012, 08:43 PM
+1 on the curved CCS pads for rotary. I cant quite put my finger on why I like them more, it just feels like I have more of a larger sweet spot to avoid holograms. Just personal preference I suppose. I love Sip on hard clearcoat but I despise it on soft paint (porsche). Seems like I am finishing down forever. The Meg 105/205 combo is good, Uno is a very good option as well. Let the pad do the work.

xtremekustomz
03-14-2012, 03:40 PM
I ended up buying the 105/205 and the meguiars compound and polish pads for my rotary. Ordered a new Flex-foam hd backing pad for my rotary, surbuf 4" pads for my pc, P21s concours and some wet glaze 2.0