PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove latex paint from interior?

Richard Grasa
03-09-2012, 04:46 PM
The upholstery shop next door has an Escalade coming in with a 5 gallon latex paint spill in the back seat. I haven`t seen it yet but he said it`s all over the carpet, seats and door panels. The carpet will be replaced by the upholstery shop, but what`s the best way to remove latex from door panels and leather? I`m going to get the job and will take it as long as I`m comfortable with being able to completely remove the latex. I`m thinking steam would be the best bet. Anybody have experience with this?

togwt
03-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Latex Paint Removal

Latex is a water-based paint but successful removal is often dependent upon the time it’s been allowed to dry

Try removal in this order-

1. D-limonene based (citrus) based detergent cleaner - (P21S Total Auto Wash) may help; be sure to allow plenty of dwell time.

2. Solvents - dwell time is important, start mild with (3M™ Adhesive and Wax Remover or DuPont Prep Sol 3919) (do not use a slvent on finished leather )3. Plastic razor blade to abrade the surface of dried paint with a plastic (ScrapeRite blades) or use single-sided razor blade

4. A combination of the plastic blade and a solvent, be patient and work small areas when practical.

5. The painted surfaces are frequently easier than anticipated, however any rubber or vinyl trim pieces may take more time / patience.

Richard Grasa
03-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I will give those a try.