PDA

View Full Version : Citrus wash or not?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Matt Cardoni
03-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I would like to get some opinions on the worthiness of stripping a LSP before starting a paint correction. I notice on many higher end detailers sites and forum posts, they tend a call out that they use a "citrus wash" to clean the paint and remove old product before clay / polish. I have just been doing a traditional wash with Hyper Wash then going right to clay.

Any insight from those who do the citrus wash or other LSP stripping step on why it is a better way to go?

My train of though has always been that the clay and polish will strip any lingering protection from the paint anyway so it would be a moot point but I would like to know why some feel otherwise. Im thinking of doing some part time mobile business and was just planning on doing ONR or other rinseless wash so I don`t need to invest in a water tank and set-up to mount it in a truck. After the wash I was planning on going to clay as I have been doing.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Accumulator
03-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I would like to get some opinions on the worthiness of stripping a LSP before starting a paint correction. ..My train of though has always been that the clay and polish will strip any lingering protection from the paint anyway so it would be a moot point ..

I find it generally *is* a moot point, but in some cases the stripping can be worth doing:

-need for better evaluation of the finish

-healthy LSP that might gum up your pads and/or render polishes ineffective

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Bill D
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
The citrus wash product that comes to mind for me is the one by Chemical Guys. For instances where the car doesn`t necessarily need claying, just some light correction, I`d wash it with citrus wash to remove the LSP. I have a gallon in my garage,yet to be used, but I will try it. I`m probably going to get Top of the Line`s Prep Wash to add to the arsenal as well, since that is supposed to be highly effective on most anything on the paint.

Accumulator
03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
The citrus wash product that comes to mind for me is the one by Chemical Guys... I`d wash it with citrus wash to remove the LSP...

Isn`t one of their citrus washes supposed to be LSP-friendly? Like...guaranteed to not strip the wax or something like that?

.. I`m probably going to get Top of the Line`s Prep Wash to add to the arsenal as well, since that is supposed to be highly effective on most anything on the paint.

I`ll be interested to hear whether you like it as well as I do.

Bill D
03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Isn`t one of their citrus washes supposed to be LSP-friendly? Like...guaranteed to not strip the wax or something like that?

The one I have says it can be used as a paintwork cleanser when diluted 1oz with 1 gallon of water to remove grime and leftover wax. Reading into that more, I`m not sure if it will get all the LSP off , like Prep Wash does, and I`ll have to fiddle that ratio with my foam gun, but I`ll try the stuff next time I`d like to wash and remove my LSP.

Accumulator, the product you have in mind is probably this: Daily car wash shampoos CITRUS BASED (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Daily_car_wash_shampoos_CITRUS_BASED_p/cws_302_clear.htm)

The one I have is called Citrus Wash , which I can`t seem to find on their site any more :confused:

This is where I got mine from: Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, 128 oz. - Chemical Guys Car Wash & Shampoos (http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=340&idcategory=220)

RaskyR1
03-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Depends on how new the LSP is, but generally I don`t feel CGCW fully removes them. Every little bit helps though and I do like using it to help remove polishing oils. ;)

stormsearch
03-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Using the Citrus Wash & Gloss will extend your clay. Used at the stripping dilution in a foam gun not only will strip most LSP`s, but really clean the paint from other normal everyday stuff.

P-nut
03-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Doesn`t anybody just use Dawn anymore?

RaskyR1
03-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Doesn`t anybody just use Dawn anymore?

Yep. Just finished doing my dishes 5 minutes ago. :D

C. Charles Hahn
03-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Yep. Just finished doing my dishes 5 minutes ago. :D

:rofl :rofl

pwaug
03-10-2012, 12:22 AM
The one I have is called Citrus Wash , which I can`t seem to find on their site any more :confused:

This is where I got mine from: Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, 128 oz. - Chemical Guys Car Wash & Shampoos (http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=340&idcategory=220)

From CG customer service: "You can still purchase the Citrus Wash, just put a note in the comment screen, its the same price as the Wash & Gloss"

911fanatic
03-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Depends on how new the LSP is, but generally I don`t feel CGCW fully removes them. Every little bit helps though and I do like using it to help remove polishing oils. ;)

I agree. CWG won`t do anything on even relatively new LSPs. I just do a presoak with my fav APC, rinse and wash as normal.

SpoolinNoMore
03-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Saying you provide a "citrus wash to cleanse your vehicle`s paint surface" just sounds fancier than saying "we foam down your car with dish soap to strip off all of the old crap". Dawn is just fine and works betterer for cheaperer, as long as it`s not a constant thing you do to your vehicle (insert criticisms about Dawn inhibiting rust).

Bill D
03-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I regret I bought the CW. Dawn and other dish washing soaps chap up my hands and I wouldn`t get the versions that are better for hands because I don`t know what they may leave behind on the car so I could just do an ABC wash and/or wipe down a panel with New Car Prep-(or-when I get it)- Prep Wash, to ensure the paint is LSP free.

SpoolinNoMore
03-10-2012, 12:46 PM
To get rid of polishing oils, I`ve done a Dawn foam (dwell), quick rinse, spritz paint with 25% IPA (dwell), then rinse vehicle off and then dry with blower/MF towels. I never once had to touch the soap (I work around hydraulic fluid and other aircraft fluids/oils/greases on a daily basis, so my skin gets beat up every day) and it was definitely the most oil-free surface I`ve had to work with, not a bead in sight! This was of course after doing a previous wash/clay/2 step polish, so mechanical agitation wasn`t required.