PDA

View Full Version : Do tire dressing do anything besides appearance?

cptzippy
03-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Just replaced the original tires on my wife`s MDX because the sidewalls were badly degraded. Do tire dressings (I have Prima Nero and OPT Opti-bond) do anything to protect the tire or are they purely ornamental? Is there anything that does keep a tire from dry rotting longer?

Legacy
03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I`m no tire expert, but some say that there is no need to dress a tire as it has a protective film. I for one believe in using a tire dressing. I myself like Opti Bond which says it protects your tire from UV, Ozone and oxidation.
Just replaced the original tires on my wife`s MDX because the sidewalls were badly degraded. Do tire dressings (I have Prima Nero and OPT Opti-bond) do anything to protect the tire or are they purely ornamental? Is there anything that does keep a tire from dry rotting longer?

cptzippy
03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I can`t say from my experience because I was so sporadic in doing it ;)

togwt
03-09-2012, 04:58 AM
... UV, Ozone and oxidation.

These are elements that tyres need protection from, but be cognizant that most products do no contain ultra violet (UV) protection (not inc the OPT products mentioned)

See also “Tyre Cleaning and Care “- http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/138250-tyre-cleaning-care.html

BluBrett
03-11-2012, 11:58 PM
I use HD ultra protectant on my tires and it keeps them looking black and keeps the sheen nice all the time. When I use it on other car`s tires, they usually soak several coats up before they begin to look normal, while my tires look great after the first coat. I think at least HD`s tire protectant/shine has a similar effect as leather conditioner on leather.